Voyage of the Vikings Blog

esther e

We were on the 7 days from Montreal to Boston - I agree there were a lot of symptoms going around!! We both have Covid from that trip - also started showing Saturday in Boston.And we were both very cautious. Wish everyone was! However, even though this is our first Covid case we will still continue to travel and cruise after we recover. We have been on 1/2 of this voyage and thoroughly loved it! 

11 hours ago, JanDay said:

Packing now for our August RT Boston via Maritimes, Greenland, six ports Iceland, and return. All new ports to me. Trying to understand which layers to bring so I won’t need to include layering with the ship robe, and so I am not totally overpacked. Advice from you veterans of these ports?

I've done the Voyage of the Vikings three times, and the Viking Passage once. I think that makes me a 'veteran', if not of all the ports, then the weather in the area. 

One thing I don't see on your list is summer clothes. Boston, ports in Canada, the French ports (yes, you will also be in France on this cruise when you stop in St. Pierre), can be quite warm; tee shirts with slacks should suffice. I have also worn summer clothes in Iceland, but not as often. 

I would have a jacket, with gloves. One pair or two of winter weight slacks, and one summer weight slacks, a sweat shirt or two, a couple of tee shirts. Something waterproof to cover the whole shebang would come in very handy. 

I don't walk/hike, so have no idea what you would need for that activity. 
Layering is a key here. Be able to add to the warm weather clothes so you can reach a comfortable state in the cooler ports. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 7/13/2022 at 7:18 PM, rkacruiser said:

VOV is a special voyage.  Red Bay, I participated in a shore excursion that was not memorable (meaning, I don't remember what I experienced), but, I can add Labrador to one of the Canadian Provinces that I have visited.  The tour must have been OK.  Nothing negative to remember.  

No offence but Labrador is not a province. It is part of Newfoundland.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, happyglobetrotter said:

No offence but Labrador is not a province. It is part of Newfoundland.

Thank you.  I am aware of this and was aware of it when I visited Labrador.  Please forgive my inaccuracy in my posting.  I have visited both and enjoyed both and appreciated where I was.  

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and great packing tips! Very helpful. The doughboy winter coat is back in the closet! Layering it is. And @RuthC, thanks for the warm weather reminder. I live on the central coast of California and often forget how warm it can be in other places. 

• Like 1

Some notes on board...

Internet for premium is $319.99 before cruise and $399.99 on board.  Spotty when at sea but nice when no one is on it. 

Weather has been spectacular for the first few ports...fog, clouds, sun...perfect for beautiful scenery. Don't need down coats. (My DW who thinks below 80' is cold was sweating).  Lots of layers, thermal base but Outer layer should be wind and water PROOF. It's windy so umbrella won't do you good in Iceland per the locals. Gloves, scarf, hat just in case. 

Geology is amazing and scenery beautiful so far...

Bar Harbor - kayaking was cancelled due to lack of interest (should have known) so did a bike excursion in Acadia National Forest (old carriage trails). 

Red Bay, Canada - early sun allowed us to take the boat (only 1 boat taking 5 passengers at a time) to Saddle Island. Nice walking trail around part of island. Wind and rain came and they stopped taking passengers to island and focused in getting everyone off and back to mainland. Had the World famous fish and chips at the local restaurant. 

Qaqortoq, Greenland- there is a road to right of port that ends and can hike up to mountain top. (Both road and hike are steep) I did a morning hike to top and then had tour of town with tastng of local food and beer. Afterwards walked about 2 miles around Lake (its a 3-4 hour walk complete but my phone died and ship departs in an hour so headed back).

Prins Christian Sund - early morning fog broke to party cloudy skies. For those that have been, it's a mixture of Alaska and Antarctica, with twisted geology added for good measure. 

Reykjavik - being a few miles from City Center, the town provides free shuttle to a gift shop/ticket office about 1/2 mile away so you can buy transport tickets to City $20 round trip or you can get taxi there (or taxi at Port if one shows up). Did the Snorkle excursion in the fissure between the European and NA plates in 34' water. Wonderfully organized and "refreshing". Did a small hike to ridge afterwards. 

Djúpivogur - Did the 4x4 Canyons and Waterfall excursion. The 4x4 were monster raised Mercedes vans crossing wonderland of southern Iceland. 

Hopefully pictures will follow. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, durangoscots said:

I was on that cruise too.... and recognize both the iceberg and the Captain who was one of my favorites. He retired not long after and then, sadly, passed away. That cruise remains one of may all time favorite cruises. Would love to do it again... and again.

Hello durangoscots, I do remember you from the cc meet & greet. Sorry to hear about Captain Dunforth. He was great. 

10 hours ago, REOVA said:

Prins Christian Sund - early morning fog broke to party cloudy skies. For those that have been, it's a mixture of Alaska and Antarctica, with twisted geology added for good measure.

This is an excellent description of what one sees.  No penguins to see as one would do in Antarctica (those distant black dots, mostly), but, the geology is up close and personal.  

• Like 1

Just a little update.

Alesund was good yesterday. There was a hop on / hop off bus at the pier. Also a small “train” that toured the town. Both went to the top of the hill for a good view. Weather was dry but cloudy and in the 50’s.

Today we are in Bergen. It’s a little warmer but still cloudy.  We are docked at the port nearest Bryggen. Walkable to town- about half mile each way. It is Saturday so may be busier but there are lots of tourists besides us. 

Still Covid on the ship and cabins with Covid have a red sticker. Captain said yesterday we are getting better so that is good. Everyone is wearing their masks very well.

Sea day tomorrow and then Rotterdam. I have talked to a few people disembarking but most of us seem to be on for the full 35 days. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, travelers07 said:

Just a little update.

Alesund was good yesterday. There was a hop on / hop off bus at the pier. Also a small “train” that toured the town. Both went to the top of the hill for a good view. Weather was dry but cloudy and in the 50’s.

Today we are in Bergen. It’s a little warmer but still cloudy.  We are docked at the port nearest Bryggen. Walkable to town- about half mile each way. It is Saturday so may be busier but there are lots of tourists besides us. 

Still Covid on the ship and cabins with Covid have a red sticker. Captain said yesterday we are getting better so that is good. Everyone is wearing their masks very well.

Sea day tomorrow and then Rotterdam. I have talked to a few people disembarking but most of us seem to be on for the full 35 days. 

Thanks for updating and I'm GLAD the ship seems to be getting better!   Are people just staying in their own cabins now and not being moved? 

Enjoy and continue to stay safe!

Linda R.

From this blog from a friend on board there are 200 cases on a ship with around 1200 passengers. Read postings for July 17-19 and July 20-22. He is fully vaccinated and this is their first cruise since the world cruise 2020 terminated in Perth.

https://gdjmtravels.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR1A-3e8MljTT_WEa8AdmywQc3R8Q9qU4ZZ8TSyN28auPq_2KXgJwQJNIr0

Edited by ScottishMaid
Update: they have tested negative so able to visit Bergen

5 hours ago, travelers07 said:

Just a little update.

Good to read the Covid situation is getting better as we are coming onboard in Rotterdam…Weather forecast calls for 25 celsius on Monday and 22 on Tuesday with a chance of rain. But probably the warmest weather for the next two weeks or so. 

Who provided the info on the 200 passengers with COVID? We are on board & spend most of our time in our cabin except for meals & tours. We’ve done private tours with 17-34 people depending on destination, completely masked. I see plenty of people in the lido skipping the hand washing. Some people oblivious to seriousness. Went to a piano concert & sat in 2nd & 3rd seat. A couple came in our row & sat right next to us. We got up & moved over 3 seats. We want to avoid this plague at all costs so we can finish our 35 day VOV healthy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WFBgal said:

Who provided the info on the 200 passengers with COVID? We are on board & spend most of our time in our cabin except for meals & tours. We’ve done private tours with 17-34 people depending on destination, completely masked. I see plenty of people in the lido skipping the hand washing. Some people oblivious to seriousness. Went to a piano concert & sat in 2nd & 3rd seat. A couple came in our row & sat right next to us. We got up & moved over 3 seats. We want to avoid this plague at all costs so we can finish our 35 day VOV healthy.

I’m following this cruise because it is on our bucket list but also because we were on the cruise right before and came down with COVID from the cruise. You made me LOL with your description of how you are trying to avoid the virus.  Sounds just like my husband and I! Pray you continue to enjoy the cruise and remain Covid free!!! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WFBgal said:

As I understand it someone currently onboard in quarantine.  Best wishes to you!

I’d like to know how the positive passenger got the 200 cases number. That info isn’t being broadcast from Captain’s updates. Yesterday 20 came out of quarantine & 15 went into quarantine. Slight improvement….step in right direction.

3 hours ago, WFBgal said:

I’d like to know how the positive passenger got the 200 cases number. That info isn’t being broadcast from Captain’s updates. Yesterday 20 came out of quarantine & 15 went into quarantine. Slight improvement….step in right direction.

I personally counted red dots a few days ago (except for the few cabins originally restricted and closed off) and there are about 60 cabins in quarantine, including mine now. I am negative but wife positive so both need to stay in until she is negative so might be 1 per cabin infected. I doubt that 200 people are infected unless possibly counting crew or those already negative and released. Not everyone is wearing masks ("I forgot it in my room") nor washing hands even though the Purell machines now have staff reminding passengers. Not all passengers are calling if symptomatic as they dont want to get tested, even those who are hacking on tour busses or in World Stage.  Unfortunately the crew cannot force people to follow the rules which is probably why those of us who wear mask and wash hands consistently are not allowed out of cabin if mate is positive. They are doing  what they can but short staffed means many are working long hours and trying to get things under control. Today (Sunday) Captain said we are still moving in right direction but would not give numbers in and out. 

• Thanks 2

Thank you to everyone who is keeping us updated on the virus spread aboard the Zaandam.  I and my spouse are scheduled to board on Aug 13, just as most of you will be disembarking.  We have a very early boarding time scheduled so, assuming the ship will still sail,  I am a bit dubious that the crew will be able to get every cabin properly cleaned and sanitized before we board (although, I am sure they will do their best).  I guess some strong disinfectant spray and wipes, as well as several masks, will be in our bags.  

For those onboard the Zaandam who have had their voyage interrupted with the virus, I am so sorry.  I have had three planned trips cancelled before starting in the past two years, but that is nothing compared to losing your dream cruise mid-sailing.  

I will happily submit to as many cheek swabs, all mask mandates and every request to "washy-washy" as necessary to keep myself and my fellow travelers safe, in order to continue on this decade-long planned cruise.

Edited by aeraen
caint spel
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 6:59 AM, WFBgal said:

FYI: the 200 passengers with Covid refers to a ship in Australia! NOT the Zaandam.

Poster wasn’t all that clear as to which ship they were referring to. I’d say about 70 at the beginning when it began spreading. We get updates daily & wear our dam masks on our dam ship. 

Just continue washing your hands too.

So we set sail from Djupivogor (called DJ for short) which was a nice village.  About 200 people live there full time.  Quite quaint.  We hiked to the highest point to look out.  It wasn’t a bad hike.  We didn’t stay long.  The landscape again was amazing.  

Heading to Alesund Norway.  It’s a day at sea to get there.  The seas have gentle swells today.  The flies were not here which made it so much better.

Before I forget I wanted to say ‘port side’.  So the reason for this comment is most things are happening port side.  I am starboard side.  Damn.  If you can still choose I suggest port side for the cruise.  On my side starboard I have seen one whale and 6 dolphins so far this trip.  I know not impressive.  Oh well…I’ll keep looking.  

Eating way too much!  I don’t eat like this at home.  Yesterday I tried to figure what I could cut out.  Well….breakfast must happen because when you have a suite you get breakfast in the Pinnacle.  This is a quiet place mid ship that has great food and it is quiet.  You are not upstairs with a lot of people.  It allows for you to wake up at a slower pace.  Another perk I love.  Then there is lunch.  That I can skip and hold out for afternoon tea at 3 pm.  Dinner is at 7:30 and not to be missed.  So that’s the cut down plan for now.  It can be adjusted as need be.  I mean I am on vacation where nothing needs to be decided in a moment.  It’s more of a ponder 🤔 

Covid is on board and masks are mandatory now.  It does take away from the cruising experience.  If it is crowded it’s not for me.  If I hear coughing I’m out.  It hasn’t really affected us much but it does impact the options.  What I found is while I would love to do the hop on hop off bus or the train it is enclosed space and not all are wearing masks.  Whether I walk thru the outside market depends on the crowd.  It is time consuming to watch for all the possibilities.  Everyone on ship are wearing masks ALL the time.  However the captain did report that someone tattletaled that people took off their masks once the lights went out in the world stage.  I actually saw people without masks prior to the theater going dark. 

Oh yeah….they had chocolate crepes tonight………I’ll start tomorrow…

Alesund, Norway

Climbed over 418 steps to the top and down. 

It was mostly switchbacks and also some just upward climbs.  I thought I was gonna die.  Only kidding….it was fine.  For me going down was harder on my legs and my breath was more under control then going up.  418+ steps. I napped when we got back.  

Bergen, Norway

Walked 6 miles around town.  Fish market, had pastries, saw 2 McDonald’s, 2 7Elevens, 1 subway, Starbucks and Burger King. 

Went to the Magic Ice Bar.  Didn’t plan on it even though I looked at it yesterday but it happened to be right there.  I think we stayed in all of 8 minutes.  It was 23 degrees!  Everything is made out of ice.  Even the glasses you drink from.  The cost was 250 kr per person

Tilting houses in town.

Kind of dirty with litter and cig butts

Nice time. Nice place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brewgirl1 said:

I'm curious, when you say suites get breakfast in the Pinnacle, do you mean all suites or just neptune suites.  Wish I was there!!

Not the person to whom you are addressing, but, Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is a Neptune Suite perk.  Not the other categories of suites.  

On 7/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, RiciRicardo said:

Question time

What do you have for entertainment on the Voyage?

Piano Bar?  Dueling Pianos? Shows with singers and dancers?

Ocean Bar?

I miss the old school entertainment with the Ocean Bar then late night in the Piano Bar and the odd production show. Perfect endings to a day.

R.

My son is in the Ocean Bar band so yes, that’s on the Zandaam!

• Like 2