Can you get Drinks (Drink and Refresh Pkg) as soon as u are aboard?

51 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

If you ordered a drink at a bar/restaurant before the ship is 3 miles out, you have paid the Florida tax even if you didn't realize it, it goes right onto your shipboard account.  

I have never paid tax on any drink when the ship was in port in Florida, including the 12 cruises I have been on since last August. I check my account online multiple times a day and the charge is always zero (I always get the drink package). However, I have paid sales tax on other cruise lines while still in port in Florida. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have never paid tax on any drink when the ship was in port in Florida, including the 12 cruises I have been on since last August. I check my account online multiple times a day and the charge is always zero (I always get the drink package). However, I have paid sales tax on other cruise lines while still in port in Florida. 

Same.  I believe this is why they write down drinks & room numbers while docked in the US rather than processing your cruise card.  Enter into the system later.  I could be wrong, I wonder how that could possibly be legal, but I read that at some point and it does match my observations on board multiple cruise lines.  They all have pad & paper before setting sail.

20 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Same.  I believe this is why they write down drinks & room numbers while docked in the US rather than processing your cruise card.  Enter into the system later.  I could be wrong, I wonder how that could possibly be legal, but I read that at some point and it does match my observations on board multiple cruise lines.  They all have pad & paper before setting sail.

I seem to recall this being for all onboard purchases in some ports.  I questioned it once and was told "our cash register systems are down".  Now this makes more sense - they don;t have to charge sales tax if the sale isn't completed until the ship is off shore.  

2 hours ago, rebeccac said:

If you ordered a drink at a bar/restaurant before the ship is 3 miles out, you have paid the Florida tax even if you didn't realize it, it goes right onto your shipboard account.  

Not if you have a package

International waters for the purposes of this discussion is 12 nautical miles, not 3

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not if you have a package

I think you may be confusing the cruise line added gratuity with the Florida state tax.  If you have a package, there is no additional gratuity, but if you are still in port (not actually sure when this stops happening, I was just quoting a previous post), you will be charged Florida state tax on alcoholic drinks no matter how you pay for it, be it a drink package or not.  

5 hours ago, rebeccac said:

I think you may be confusing the cruise line added gratuity with the Florida state tax.  If you have a package, there is no additional gratuity, but if you are still in port (not actually sure when this stops happening, I was just quoting a previous post), you will be charged Florida state tax on alcoholic drinks no matter how you pay for it, be it a drink package or not.  

I am sorry, but this is inaccurate information.

I just cruised last week out of PC ( March from PE) drank more than my fair share prior to leaving the dock and was never charged anything (I have a $0 invoice from last week to prove it)