where to stay in NY?

Mintycake

We have a cruise out of Cape Liberty and will be flying into Newark.  We're spending a few days pre cruise in New York and wondering if it's better to stay in NJ or NY for ease of getting to the terminal on embarkation day.  Any advice on where to stay?

7 minutes ago, Mintycake said:

We have a cruise out of Cape Liberty and will be flying into Newark.  We're spending a few days pre cruise in New York and wondering if it's better to stay in NJ or NY for ease of getting to the terminal on embarkation day.  Any advice on where to stay?

If you're planning to spend most of your time in Manhattan, then you should consider staying in Manhattan, but it does mean more traveling on the day you arrive and on the day of your cruise . A reasonable alternative would be to stay in Jersey City, which gives you good mass transit access to Manhattan and isn't all that far from EWR and Cape Liberty.

• Like 3

Thanks!  On another note, we do have the option to fly into LGA, Newark or JFK to New York, so I am wondering if it's better to spend a few days pre cruise exploring New York or spend after the cruise?  I'm thinking maybe 1 night pre cruise near the Cape Liberty terminal and a few days after.  However, my daughter will miss a few more days of school if we explore after.  Not sure which is better?

1 hour ago, Mintycake said:

Thanks!  On another note, we do have the option to fly into LGA, Newark or JFK to New York, so I am wondering if it's better to spend a few days pre cruise exploring New York or spend after the cruise?  I'm thinking maybe 1 night pre cruise near the Cape Liberty terminal and a few days after.  However, my daughter will miss a few more days of school if we explore after.  Not sure which is better?

If it were me, I'd consider flying into LGA, staying in Manhattan for several days pre cruise and flying home from EWR on the disembarkation day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If it were me, I'd consider flying into LGA, staying in Manhattan for several days pre cruise and flying home from EWR on the disembarkation day.

I agree with this.  Stay in NYC to enjoy NYC.  Getting to Port Liberty from Manhattan is not so difficult to make you need to "commute" into the city on multiple days for your visit

3 hours ago, Mintycake said:

I'm thinking maybe 1 night pre cruise near the Cape Liberty terminal and a few days after.  However, my daughter will miss a few more days of school if we explore after.  Not sure which is better?

If you stay 1 night pre cruise and you fly into EWR,  staying in NJ that first night makes most sense.  I also recommend staying in NJ that night if you flew into the NY airports, it will be cheaper than NY hotels & you are closer to Cape Liberty cruise port.

If you fly into NY, Dial 7 & Carmel Limo are the most recommended car services for transit to NJ if you do not Uber.

The most recommended hotels in the Newark airport vicinity are those in Elizabeth NJ on International Drive such as Country Inn, Courtyard & Residence Inn. All are walking distance to restaurants and Jersey Gardens mall which has more dining options. EWR area hotels are isolated and limited in food options. Hotels in downtown Newark would be a better option than the EWR area hotels aside from those in Elizabeth.

I recommend hotels in Jersey City for their spectacular view of lower Manhattan.

PATH train stations are located close to some Jersey City hotels. PATH trains allow access to lower Manhattan (World Trade Center) or midtown(33rd Street), if you stay in NJ post cruise. NJ Transit trains travel from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station. PATH service is also available from Newark Penn Station.