HAL Shore excursions just told me my August 10th cruise tour was cancelled *****!!!

Gistfamily

I received an email from HAL Shore excursions that a wait listed shore excursion was now available.When I called in to book it the 1st agent put me on hold and then hung up. When I called back they told me my cruise was cancelled! I’m still on the phone trying to get a direct answer from someone at HAL. Has this happened to anyone else? Chris 

Going to Anchorage on the 10th joining the Zuiderdam on the 20th. Still have not received anything from HAL but they have been sending update to my TA. She won’t be back in the office until Monday. I am not Happy🤬

I know how stressed you must be.   They had canceled some back in June but I hadn’t heard they were still cancelling.  Just so you know when they cancelled they gave a 100% cash refund PLUS a 100% FCC.  I know that doesn’t remove the shock but it is something.  Is your agent  solo or does she work for an agency.  I would call the agency and get them on this.  You shouldn’t have to wait until Monday.   

one more thing to get in touch with HAL set your alarm and be the first caller in the morning if you can’t get them today. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

Gistfamily - Both your cruise and cruise tour are cancelled.  That is so unfortunate.  You were worried about the cruise and posted earlier in July.  Hopefully your TA is a magician and can book everything on another line.  I would be so disappointed and angry.  FCC really does not even begin to cover it.  I'd be done with HAL, with giving such late notice.  Keep us posted.  Cherie

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Your rollcall is still up and running with the most recent post yesterday.  Someone has bad information 

I recall when this has happened before, some of the cruises still went on as planned, but the cruise tour passengers were cancelled for both the tour and cruise. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2856838-hal-just-canceled-our-june-14th-2022-triple-denali-trip/

Edited by syesmar

I am so sorry this happened to you! All the planning for naught. This is a late date to try and book something for then! 😢 I am sure it is due to staffing shortages and/or COVID cases. My fingers are crossed for you getting reimbursed quickly. In hindsight, I wish they would have cancelled us. It would have been better than spending five days (no nights because of the time of year) in COVID isolation in Anchorage looking out at the Home Depot parking lot. With all of the disappointment, especially over the cruise, you may have just dodged a bullet! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

I am so sorry this happened to you! All the planning for naught. This is a late date to try and book something for then! 😢 I am sure it is due to staffing shortages and/or COVID cases. My fingers are crossed for you getting reimbursed quickly. In hindsight, I wish they would have cancelled us. It would have been better than spending five days (no nights because of the time of year) in COVID isolation in Anchorage looking out at the Home Depot parking lot. With all of the disappointment, especially over the cruise, you may have just dodged a bullet! 

I think they are likely losing a lot of college student workers come August 1.  I agree with the falter all I would gladly accept a cancellation 

Edited by Mary229

I have a curiosity question. Would you please let us know how long it takes HAL to refund your money? I know they are very slow because of all the cancellations. We were refunded a few of our excursions from our interrupted trip, but have not received any money for the rest of them. When I called, I was told to fill out an expense form AFTER our trip insurance settled with us, and they would process the rest. We are still waiting for that. I have a feeling it will be another month before that happens, and then a few months until HAL finishes paying us. I guess they don’t realize that we won’t book another cruise until we have all of our money back. They are sort of shooting themselves in the leg in that regard.

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think they are likely losing a lot of college student workers come August 1.  I agree with the falter all I would gladly accept a cancellation 

Not a case of college students as much as workers never came.  Both HAL and Princess have been canceling tours and restricting new reservations at the lodges all season.  International workers did not come, college students from the lower 48 in general did not come, many normal seasonal workers did not come, with the closure of the lodges the last couple of years even many of the local employees found other employment.  One hotel owner that I know that he usually has a staff of 48 of which normal 12 are local, 12 are seasonal from the lower 48 and 24 are international.  This year he has 10 local, 6 from elsewhere in Alaska, 8 seasonal from the lower 48 and 6 international.  Basically he is operating with 30 out of the normal staffing of 48.

14 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Not a case of college students as much as workers never came.  Both HAL and Princess have been canceling tours and restricting new reservations at the lodges all season.  International workers did not come, college students from the lower 48 in general did not come, many normal seasonal workers did not come, with the closure of the lodges the last couple of years even many of the local employees found other employment.  One hotel owner that I know that he usually has a staff of 48 of which normal 12 are local, 12 are seasonal from the lower 48 and 24 are international.  This year he has 10 local, 6 from elsewhere in Alaska, 8 seasonal from the lower 48 and 6 international.  Basically he is operating with 30 out of the normal staffing of 48.

The reason I speculated an out go of students is they had said they were going to finish all cancellations by July 1 and there were no more until now almost a month later.  Something has changed in the past 30 days.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Please see this thread for valuable information 

It is still unclear to me what is meant by this:  

"In order to ensure the service our guests have come to expect, we are canceling select “Yukon & Denali Cruisetours” that occur on peak guest nights."

"Guests whose tours are canceled are being notified directly and will receive compensation, including a 100% refund plus a 100% Future Cruise Credit and $200 onboard credit. Guests can use the credit for a variety of cruises, including rebooking a cruise-only Alaska option this season or a Cruisetour in 2023."

Is it just the land tour that is being cancelled or the entire cruise?  And which ship is Y3L, departing on 8/17/2022?  On one hand, I read it as the land tour only, giving the passengers the right to continue with the cruise, only.  But on another thread on this subject, a post said it was the entire cruise.  Anyone know with certainty which it is?

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

@Tampa Girl I can only answer one of your questions.  The entire cruise tour would be canceled, that I only know from reading past discussions 

I think that you probably right, unfortunately.  HAL's website doesn't list any of the "Cruisetours".  Does anyone know whether the 8/15/2022 and 8/17/2022 cruises are on the Nieuw Statendam?

3 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I think that you probably right, unfortunately.  HAL's website doesn't list any of the "Cruisetours".  Does anyone know whether the 8/15/2022 and 8/17/2022 cruises are on the Nieuw Statendam?

They are listed under sold out. Use the “more filters” to find those listings