Is it possible to do a search on a specific forum, rather than the whole site?

KruisingKaren

If your browser allows you to select "desktop site" for the CC page from which you want to search, the "this forum" option should be available (but I'm using Brave browser). Good luck. 

9 hours ago, KruisingKaren said:

I haven't been able to find a way to narrow down a search to only the forum I'm in.  Maybe it's because I use a tablet, so get the mobile version of the website.  I want to be able to search just the HAL forum.  Help?

As Mary said, be in the forum (or even topic) you want to search. 

I just click IN the empty Search field and this menu drops down:

687284829_CruiseCriticSearch.jpg.f8bea9b30018fa3c4261384f39845cf2.jpg 

Simply change any of the black-background defaults to the choice you want at the time!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 2

To get to the advanced search options - do this - 

Double click on the magnifying glass in the search box

image.png.ae750ed5a795e52e33652105a831f7a7.png

This will cause the advanced search box to appear:

image.thumb.png.80f9c1df617b2cdd8d65ada111190c5f.png

From there you can select a topic - say a specific ship roll call:

image.thumb.png.eb46ee12fff1948aeb95219936c96cf8.png

If you are already in the desired forum or topic - you can proceed as described by @crystalspin, @Mary229and @kwb101

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the things that has frustrated me since CC's last major update is that Search appears very differently for me (using Chrome on a MacBook Pro).  I so far have not found any way to narrow search to a single forum. It is not an option on the drop-down. What I see is this:

image.thumb.png.5df5f972b8e173aa369ce23414ecc88b.png

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

One of the things that has frustrated me since CC's last major update is that Search appears very differently for me (using Chrome on a MacBook Pro).  I so far have not found any way to narrow search to a single forum. It is not an option on the drop-down. What I see is this:

That must be an oversight.  Post in the technical section with your screenshot.  I bet that is a quick fix. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Under the content type try selecting different options. As you do the page dynamically changes and gives you additional options.

44 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That must be an oversight.  Post in the technical section with your screenshot.  I bet that is a quick fix. 

I think this is how the software handles the mobile version, and is designed this way (or is an option CC chooses not to make  available). As I mentioned above, using the desktop version of the page shows the Search This Forum option. (Although I use Brave browser, the desktop option is also available on Firefox.) Good luck.

6 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

I think this is how the software handles the mobile version, and is designed this way (or is an option CC chooses not to make  available). As I mentioned above, using the desktop version of the page shows the Search This Forum option. (Although I use Brave browser, the desktop option is also available on Firefox.) Good luck.

I have various options on my mobile device using safari.  Each browser needs separate coding and I have to assume this is an oversight. 

50 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Under the content type try selecting different options. As you do the page dynamically changes and gives you additional options.

The only content type I am interested in searching for is Topics. When I put in a search term "Rome restaurants" and select Topics as shown here:

image.thumb.png.6b85b53738132c3f92e94a7eb817769d.png

This is what I see under options:  a very few forums are not grayed out. I know that there are many threads on the Italy Ports of Call forum on restaurants in Rome, yet that forum is not available to select. Nor are the specific cruise line forums. 

image.thumb.png.105e97460081777cf6f5a090f9e19273.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The only content type I am interested in searching for is Topics. When I put in a search term "Rome restaurants" and select Topics as shown here:

image.thumb.png.6b85b53738132c3f92e94a7eb817769d.png

This is what I see under options:  a very few forums are not grayed out. I know that there are many threads on the Italy Ports of Call forum on restaurants in Rome, yet that forum is not available to select. Nor are the specific cruise line forums. 

image.thumb.png.105e97460081777cf6f5a090f9e19273.png

Did you expand those grayed out entries?  So you could select the specific forum(s) you wanted?

Screenshot_20220731-183533_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4b559adbc6a97f9bc0bc58f10ce303ce.jpgScreenshot_20220731-183624_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c77fb2c815907674b55d464dbd2c157b.jpg

• Like 1