Train from Avignon to Charles de Gaulle

donaldsc

We are getting off our river boat cruise in Avignon and we plan to take the train from Avignon to Charles de Gaulle.  I know that there are direct non-stop trains that do the route but I get lots of WEB hits and I am a bit confused.  I think that SNCF is the official WEB site but there appear to be a bunch of other WEB sites that sell train tickets.  Also there appear 2 types of trains - SNCF TGV trains and Ouigo trains that are a bit cheaper.  Are they different rail systems running on the same tracks.  Can someone sort this whole mess out for me.

DON

TGV and OUIGO are both part of SNCF.  I just did a OUIGO train from Paris to Bordeaux.  I say OUIGO is like a LCC airline.  The overhead is only big enough for a purse and maybe a SMALL daypack.  A very small big bag storage.  No in between seat space.  I spent 3 hours with my roller carryon and my pack taking all my space and I had my legs up on the bags.  Not comfy but all I could do.  From now on, I will wait for a TGV.  The price is worth the space.  

Edited by slidergirl

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

TGV and OUIGO are both part of SNCF.  I just did a OUIGO train from Paris to Bordeaux.  I say OUIGO is like a LCC airline.  The overhead is only big enough for a purse and maybe a SMALL daypack.  A very small big bag storage.  No in between seat space.  I spent 3 hours with my roller carryon and my pack taking all my space and I had my legs up on the bags.  Not comfy but all I could do.  From now on, I will wait for a TGV.  The price is worth the space.  

Thanks for the info.  The WEB sites for European trains are virtually impossible to use.  We booked on a TGV partly because of your suggestions and partly because it was easier to book.  Paid twice the price but got it done.

DON

• Like 1

First lets correct something!  There are NO non-stop trains between Avignon and CDG!   And yes the SNCF site is the actual French Railroad company.  You can also buy tickets from many third party vendors (some charge extra).

You first need to understand that there are two train stations in Avignon. The main station (within walking distance from the walled town and called Avignon Centre) is where most trains operate with the exception of the high speed TGV trains.  You want to use the TGV and these trains all leave from another station that is a short bus or taxi ride from the city.  The TGV trains need their own tracks which simply do not go to that closer station.   There are quite a few different ways to get to CDG via train and many will involve some train changes and possibly using the RER (like a regional commuter train system) from Paris out to CDG.    Part of the confusion, when you look at schedules, is it might show a regional TER train from Avignon Centre to Avignon TGV Station.  I would suggest not considering this regional train and simply grabbing a taxi directly to the TGV Station.

Also be forewarned that TGV trains are long distance high speed trains that, in our experience, often run late.  I mention this because you cannot set your watch based on the French train schedules :).  So allow for extra time.   Since DW and I consider Paris among our favorite cities in the world, if we were to take the train from Avignon to the CDG we would always plan in a stop (for a few days) at Paris.

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

First lets correct something!  There are NO non-stop trains between Avignon and CDG!   And yes the SNCF site is the actual French Railroad company.  You can also buy tickets from many third party vendors (some charge extra).

You first need to understand that there are two train stations in Avignon. The main station (within walking distance from the walled town and called Avignon Centre) is where most trains operate with the exception of the high speed TGV trains.  You want to use the TGV and these trains all leave from another station that is a short bus or taxi ride from the city.  The TGV trains need their own tracks which simply do not go to that closer station.   There are quite a few different ways to get to CDG via train and many will involve some train changes and possibly using the RER (like a regional commuter train system) from Paris out to CDG.    Part of the confusion, when you look at schedules, is it might show a regional TER train from Avignon Centre to Avignon TGV Station.  I would suggest not considering this regional train and simply grabbing a taxi directly to the TGV Station.

Also be forewarned that TGV trains are long distance high speed trains that, in our experience, often run late.  I mention this because you cannot set your watch based on the French train schedules :).  So allow for extra time.   Since DW and I consider Paris among our favorite cities in the world, if we were to take the train from Avignon to the CDG we would always plan in a stop (for a few days) at Paris.

Hank

I have bought my ticket so I hope that I am OK.  My ticket is for train TGV INOUI 5166.  It leaves Avignon TGV at 12:48 and gets to Aeroport CDG2 TGV at 16:02 for a trip time of 3 h 15 m.  

Since you have obviously done this before, Viking docks at 28 Boulevard de l'Oulle, Avignon which according to Google Maps is 4.6 km from the Avignon TV station at Gare de Avignon TGV. Avignon.  I am staying at the airport overnight at the Ibis Paris CDG Airport hotel to get a flight the next morning so it doesn't matter if I get to the airport late.  I assume that there is some way that I can get from the train station to the hotel and I am going to contact the hotel to see how.

I have done a lot of traveling but dealing with what seemed to me to be a simple train connection has driven me crazy.  I was going to do the trip on the alternative cheaper train option but their site just did not seem to like me!!  Please tell me that I am OK with my arrangements.  Thanks.

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have bought my ticket so I hope that I am OK.  My ticket is for train TGV INOUI 5166.  It leaves Avignon TGV at 12:48 and gets to Aeroport CDG2 TGV at 16:02 for a trip time of 3 h 15 m.  

Since you have obviously done this before, Viking docks at 28 Boulevard de l'Oulle, Avignon which according to Google Maps is 4.6 km from the Avignon TV station at Gare de Avignon TGV. Avignon.  I am staying at the airport overnight at the Ibis Paris CDG Airport hotel to get a flight the next morning so it doesn't matter if I get to the airport late.  I assume that there is some way that I can get from the train station to the hotel and I am going to contact the hotel to see how.

I have done a lot of traveling but dealing with what seemed to me to be a simple train connection has driven me crazy.  I was going to do the trip on the alternative cheaper train option but their site just did not seem to like me!!  Please tell me that I am OK with my arrangements.  Thanks.

DON

Looks good to me (what do I know) and you certainly chose the fastest route.  We do not generally stay at Ibis properties so I have no idea if they offer a free shuttle.  DW and I really like Avignon (we have previously rented an apartment inside the walls) and have often seen River Boats docked outside the walls.    I think it is nice of SNCF site to tell you that the train emits 2.8KG of CO2.  We have not used the site in a few years and somehow managed to survive without knowing about the CO2 emissions.  

Now you just have to pray that there is not a train strike, a farmer's strike (blocking tracks with tractors), a strike at CDG, a pilot's strike,  air traffic controller strike,  etc!  Ain't life grand.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Three ways to get to CDG:
1. TGV bypassing Paris, direct to CDG. The most convenient alternative, but I've found the flight connections to be a bit tight unless you travel the day before..

2. Most TGV from southern France go to Gare de Lyon, you then have to connect through Paris to CDG. Convenient only if you're staying in Paris.

3. Regional TER trains. The internal connection in Avignon is a TER. Only if desperate. If that was the cheaper site, you're right, it's for locals, not user friendly.

I think you've made the best, albeit not cheapest, choice.

The TGV train from Avignon to CDG 2 is direct but non-stop.  You don't have to change trains, just stay onboard until the train reached CDG.

I took the TGV from CDG2 to Marseille in July.  The train stopped several spots, including Avignon.

You'll be fine.