Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

Looking forward to following along on your adventure. If you haven’t been to Halifax recently, you’ll see a lot of changes. We used to live in Bedford, 20 min from Halifax. They spent millions on the waterfront so you’ll love strolling along there. Enjoy!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Thank you so much for the info!  I have seen you also on the NZ board, so hello again!  If all goes well, we will be boarding the Eclipse on March 26.  Sounds like Jim will also be heading to NZ, I see you asked if he will be on the Edge.  We have been thinking of changing from the Eclipse to the Edge as the itineraries are very similar, however we are keen on the trans-Pacific aspect, sailing back to North America, and it doesn't seem that the Edge will be doing that.  

And yes, I am following the roll calls for the first Celebrity ship to hit NZ, in October.  Let's hope all goes well!  Thank you again!

We will be putting on the miles late 2023-24.    After the New Zealand cruise we are flying home but fling back to Sydney in April 2024 to do the Repositioning From Sydney to HNL and HNL to Vancouver. 

• Like 6

8/6/2022 -   T-1

Saturday morning and I'm up at 7:00 and getting things in order.    Iain of course is still sacked out at 9:00 but about to be kicked out of bed so we can have breakfast.   Embassy Suites has free breakfast until 10:00 which seems like a Civil time.

We are still toying with the idea of going into NYC but still haven't made up our minds.   Decisions, Decisions Decision.    It's vacation time which means time to let go of all commitments and just plain relax. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

8/6/2022 -   T-1

Saturday morning and I'm up at 7:00 and getting things in order.    Iain of course is still sacked out at 9:00 but about to be kicked out of bed so we can have breakfast.   Embassy Suites has free breakfast until 10:00 which seems like a Civil time.

We are still toying with the idea of going into NYC but still haven't made up our minds.   Decisions, Decisions Decision.    It's vacation time which means time to let go of all commitments and just plain relax. 

Cooler suggestions:  Ferry to Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island.  Or if you must, take a walk on the High Line in NYC which is almost adjacent to the Hudson River breezes.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

8/6/2022 -   T-1

You should come!  It’s Summer Streets Saturday!  Over 8 miles of city streets closed to traffic. Lots to see and do. Also, we have unlimited 30 minute ride passes on Citi bikes.  Head to Park Avenue and enjoy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will be putting on the miles late 2023-24.    After the New Zealand cruise we are flying home but fling back to Sydney in April 2024 to do the Repositioning From Sydney to HNL and HNL to Vancouver. 

We’ll be joining you n the TransPacific in 2024 Jim. Not sure yet on the second leg as we did it in May and will have been gone for 2 months already. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We'll be on the Sydney to HNL with you as well in April 2024!  Would love to continue on to Vancouver, but the DH still works and doesn't want to retire yet - he says he has to pay for my cruising addiction 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks much.    I'm hoping the next Vax that is designed for the Omicron Variant may well be a game changer.  This strain whether vaxed or not, masked or not doesn't seem to care.  If Biden can catch it as frequently as he' s tested. shows how virulent it is.

I was really concerned with out first cruise back almost a year ago.  Once I was aboard I was back in love.    Don't know the passenger count yet but the Cruises are sold out.  I expect it to be so different than the cruise with 50-60 percent passenger load.

Hi Jim…

My brother and I just finished a 7 night cruise on the Symphony. There were 6600 passengers and we felt a little crowded in places but other than the elevators we found the crowds manageable. Have a great cruise u2🛳

• Haha 1

Hello! 🙂I just found your thread and will follow  closely as my dh, my almost 98 year old Dad, my sister and brother-in-law and I will be on the 19th from Reykjavik to Boston.  We were booked on it 2 years ago from Ireland but this works out better for my Dad as he lives in New Hampshire so only one flight.  We are flying from Boston on the 16th and arriving early 17th and have Covid tests in the afternoon. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts and experiences of the Summit. I hope we run into some of you that will be on the cruise, look for a group of 3 or 5 with an 97+ year old man with a beard😁

On 8/3/2022 at 5:22 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I have a number of tours on the Canadian portion planned.   In Montreal I booked a guide from Tours by Locals about 6 months ago.  I think I have a combination of CC member tours and Ships tours.

Did they change the itinerary?   I'm checking the itineraries and I'm showing an overnight in Quebec City but no further down the St. Lawrence Seaway. 

Anyway, hope you get to see some early color on the cruise and that you have an enjoyable,  and healthy B3B.  I'm another one who is on the Oct 15 repo to Miami, so looking forward to your report on the crew members that go the extra, extra mile (since I've heard every crew member on the Summit goes the extra mile)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Weve travelled for 2 different cruises, 1 open jaw trip overseas.  September will be my first flight where the whole airplane doesn’t have to be vaccinated.  That’s a bit more scary, however we’ve done the 8 hr flights with N95s so I’m guessing 2+ hours each way is doable. Both cruises were lower passenger loads.  

supposedly the terminal is the most dangerous because ventilation is poorer than an aircraft and the crowding is moving around.  

I guess the best you can do is to mask up.   Sanitize all touch surfaces and hope for the best.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ecslady said:

Welcome to New Jersey. I'm about 45 minutes south of EWR and not a drop of rain yesterday for me! 

Enjoy your pre-cruise day whatever you decide to do.

Good to hear.  Some of my High School years I lived in the Watchung Hills.   I never lived in one place for more than two years so "Used To Live" covers a lot of the area.    I also use to a  Swedish Software company in Marlton and had to commute weekly.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:21 PM, kpark895 said:

Can't wait to follow along with you and Iain and your adventures.  I'm hopping on the Summit the day you get off, except my cruise is only 10 nights - it doesn't go to Montreal.  So far, I have nothing planned, except for a trip to Cadillac Mountain - my sister says if you get to the top and the sky is clear, you can actually see the curve of the earth.  So, I will be awaiting your reviews of the places you visit and things you do on your third leg.  (And of course, the rest will be great to read about also, although I don't think my budget will ever allow me to go to Iceland).

Be aware, if you plan on driving up Cadillac Mtn, you will need to book a reservation in advance.   Hope you get to do it.  Incredible views.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baggal said:

Cooler suggestions:  Ferry to Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island.  Or if you must, take a walk on the High Line in NYC which is almost adjacent to the Hudson River breezes.  

5 hours ago, CruiseNYC said:

You should come!  It’s Summer Streets Saturday!  Over 8 miles of city streets closed to traffic. Lots to see and do. Also, we have unlimited 30 minute ride passes on Citi bikes.  Head to Park Avenue and enjoy!

Just saw all of the good recommendations.   At the last minute after breakfast we just went into the city and had a nice long day of walking.    More of one of those days that you go one place and then decide where to next 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

We'll be on the Sydney to HNL with you as well in April 2024!  Would love to continue on to Vancouver, but the DH still works and doesn't want to retire yet - he says he has to pay for my cruising addiction 😁

I remember those days when vacation time was limited.   I got around it by being a independent contractor consultant and my client would either put up with it and let me work while away or I wouldn't accept the client.    

I have to say I never imagined how enjoyable retirement is and at times we wonder how we ever got everything done while working.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, amomx5 said:

Hello! 🙂I just found your thread and will follow  closely as my dh, my almost 98 year old Dad, my sister and brother-in-law and I will be on the 19th from Reykjavik to Boston.  We were booked on it 2 years ago from Ireland but this works out better for my Dad as he lives in New Hampshire so only one flight.  We are flying from Boston on the 16th and arriving early 17th and have Covid tests in the afternoon. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts and experiences of the Summit. I hope we run into some of you that will be on the cruise, look for a group of 3 or 5 with an 97+ year old man with a beard😁

Definitely will look for you.   I'm so happy to hear your dad is still traveling at 97+     I hope I have to honor and ability to follow in his footsteps.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

Did they change the itinerary?   I'm checking the itineraries and I'm showing an overnight in Quebec City but no further down the St. Lawrence Seaway. 

Anyway, hope you get to see some early color on the cruise and that you have an enjoyable,  and healthy B3B.  I'm another one who is on the Oct 15 repo to Miami, so looking forward to your report on the crew members that go the extra, extra mile (since I've heard every crew member on the Summit goes the extra mile)

Just slap me.    We definitely are going to Quebec City for an overnight.     I use to live near Montreal and it's just been in my mine.    Iain said ---no you are just getting Old.    Should I dump a drink over his head?

• Haha 13

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just slap me.    We definitely are going to Quebec City for an overnight.     I use to live near Montreal and it's just been in my mine.    Iain said ---no you are just getting Old.    Should I dump a drink over his head?

And waste the drink!  Never. Just have an extra one and commiserate.   Enjoy Quebec City, it's gorgeous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to following along and learning something new along the way.

You never disappoint! Enjoy every minute!

I will be flying into Newark in October and need to make overnight reservations before our Celebrity cruise. Although I have researched hotels in the area I have not found the ‘right one’ and wonder if you would recommend yours? 
Thanks,

Barbara

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Definitely will look for you.   I'm so happy to hear your dad is still traveling at 97+     I hope I have to honor and ability to follow in his footsteps.  

I’m sure you will! He is a little concerned about the trip but also wants to get out of his house!  We have lived and travelled all over the world when we were growing up (he is currently writing about it) and he misses traveling. I will also keep an eye out for you!

• Like 3