Yacht Club Butler

mandrews2u

On 8/4/2022 at 10:59 PM, mandrews2u said:

What is the going rate for you to tip this person for a 7 day cruise? How many other people are their to tip? We try to bring cash however we haven’t  cruised in 7 yrs, no idea what the going tip is anymore, just an estimate at-least anyone?

Just tip unto others as you would have them tip unto you.

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Here is our list of what we tip since the restart of cruising for a week of service.

You are very generous.  

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But I will be so bold as to suggest that we have received amazing service in the YC without spreading out $1000+ in tips!   

As have I on vessels where I have not been a guest sailing expecting a YC experience.  

5 hours ago, joelsmith101 said:

The staff must be disappointed with those like me who tip a quarter of that amount despite MSC suggesting not to tip individual staff members.

Rarely, and I mean rarely, have I ever experienced a crew member whom I have tipped, particularly cabin stewards and dining room stewards and deck stewards, who did not show appreciation and thankfulness for what I have given them.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just tip unto others as you would have them tip unto you.

I have never expected nor received a "tip" in my entire life.   But in your particular case we will make an exception and if we ever meet I do expect a generous tip 🙂

Hank

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Rarely, and I mean rarely, have I ever experienced a crew member whom I have tipped, particularly cabin stewards and dining room stewards and deck stewards, who did not show appreciation and thankfulness for what I have given them.  

As an experiment, do what some ill-informed cruisers do and bring your stateroom attendant some worthless tchotchke from your hometown .. maybe a decorative rock for their cabin.

I would bet anything they would appear to be extremely grateful.

• Haha 2

On 8/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, Nunagoras said:

This, exactly! Permit me just to add for the OP: If you want effectively to tip extra on MSC, please do it in a very discreet way so that their supervisors don't notice it...

Why ? We tip the supervisors as well. They are the ones behind the scenes allowing the service we receive.

P.S. I discreetly left the supervisors off my posted list.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

9 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

How much was this tip you tried to give ?

LOL, who remembers?  (I guess you would and post the exact amount).  But that bar tender had no idea since I was trying to slip her a bill (hand to hand) which she refused without looking.   Seabourn does have a "no tipping " policy and urges passengers who want to leave extra money to donate it to their crew welfare fund (done via the Guest Relations folks).  

Hank

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

LOL, who remembers?  (I guess you would and post the exact amount).  But that bar tender had no idea since I was trying to slip her a bill (hand to hand) which she refused without looking.   Seabourn does have a "no tipping " policy

Now I want to go on Seabourn just to test your favorite bartender. Is there a ship and name attached ? or must I go to every bar and ask for a drink. I'll start with $5 (I'll make sure the numeral is visible).

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Now I want to go on Seabourn just to test your favorite bartender. Is there a ship and name attached ? or must I go to every bar and ask for a drink. I'll start with $5 (I'll make sure the numeral is visible).

You definitely need to go to every bar (several times) and order a drink.    On that line all the drinks are included so knock yourself out.  And make sure to get some caviar with those drinks.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

You definitely need to go to every bar (several times) and order a drink.    On that line all the drinks are included so knock yourself out.  And make sure to get some caviar with those drinks.

Just use the ignore feature here on CC.

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, Hlitner said:

LOL, who remembers?  (I guess you would and post the exact amount).  But that bar tender had no idea since I was trying to slip her a bill (hand to hand) which she refused without looking.   Seabourn does have a "no tipping " policy and urges passengers who want to leave extra money to donate it to their crew welfare fund (done via the Guest Relations folks).  

Hank

Seabourn’s no tipping policy (I assume other luxury lines are similar) is actually one of my favorite things about sailing on them.  The crew is fairly compensated and it fosters an environment of no up selling, no “who paid more” or “who is the better tipper”…of course, the higher initial cruise fare covers these expenses upfront, but it makes the whole vibe more convivial.