Venice 2023?

plucasana

I am on a cruise next April supposedly sailing from Venice. My TA has contacted Azamara and they say that it still is. They are offering me flights with the promise of a 2 1/2 hr Journey to Ravenna if 🙂 the departure location is changed.  In the meantime I am tempted to nook a flight direct to Ravenna and taxi/bus to the port. Its time Azamara made the inevitable decision regarding Venice.

• Like 3

The nearest place to fly into Ravenna is Bologna about one hour away from Ravenna. There is a train to Ravenna from there. Our transport by car was over $400. However we like Bologna ( spent three nights there, and also spent time in Ravenna seeing the mosaic churches which were breathtaking. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, harrodsfan said:

The nearest place to fly into Ravenna is Bologna about one hour away from Ravenna. There is a train to Ravenna from there. Our transport by car was over $400. However we like Bologna ( spent three nights there, and also spent time in Ravenna seeing the mosaic churches which were breathtaking. 

Thanks for that.  It looks like maybe I should stick with Azamara's plans

Azamara are still insisting nothing has been decided for the move from Venice yet. They are happy to book me a flight From Belfast - Heathrow - Venice which is scheduled to arrive at 1405 - Then there is the 2 1/2 hr journey to Ravenna. Its cutting it a bit fine is it not even if flight is on time and no delays collecting luggage and clearing passport control.

I can book a direct flight from Dublin to Venice for a quarter of the price and it gets me in to Venice at 1030am.

Is there any advantage booking through Azamara?

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:37 PM, Norn Iron Man said:

Azamara are still insisting nothing has been decided for the move from Venice yet. They are happy to book me a flight From Belfast - Heathrow - Venice which is scheduled to arrive at 1405 - Then there is the 2 1/2 hr journey to Ravenna. Its cutting it a bit fine is it not even if flight is on time and no delays collecting luggage and clearing passport control.

I can book a direct flight from Dublin to Venice for a quarter of the price and it gets me in to Venice at 1030am.

Is there any advantage booking through Azamara?

The advantage to booking with Azamara can be cancellations as well as dealing with late flights etc.  if you can find a non stop or a direct flight they should be able to price it for you.  Last time I used Royal they directly asked me if I had a specific flight in mind, I did.  When I’d booked Azamara years back but they had trouble with mixed cabin flights out of Dublin..  They beat the TA consolidator’s quote.  

The drive from Venice to Ravenna port is boring scenery but in May ours had no real traffic.  

We usually book our own flights but we used Azamara flights from LHR in April because at the time of booking it was unclear where the dock in "Venice" was going to be - Trieste, Fusina, or Ravenna - and therefore the transfer was down to Azamara.   If Ravenna is definite then I think i would book my own flights - of course the downside is how much would the transfer cost by taxi.  However if the Dublin flight arrival in Venice co-incides with the morning Heathrow departure/arrival  that Azamara would use for those originating in Heathrow then you may be able to book just the transfer coach.  

Update :

My TA contacted Azamara

If the flight arrives into Venice before 1500 they will be able to provide transfers.  The flight they had suggested isn't scheduled to arrive until 1405 so in my opinion that's cutting it fine. Security/Customs/Passports/Queues etc

If I book my own flight its in at 1030 so plenty of time to get a transfer through Azamara so I think its the safest option.

Its strange that Azamara hasn't updated their itinerary yet knowing that Venice is closed to Cruise Ships