Steakhouse at the Verandah or Dinner at the Lido

LB_NJ

As part of my booking on QE I am offered either 2 meals at "Dinner at the Lido" or 1 meal at "Steakhouse at the Verandah."

We can't book until onboard.  We are in regular Britannia.

Any thoughts?

Is one choice better value, quality of food, etc.

We can either have lunch in the Verandah or dinner at a Lido pop up but only utilised if dining with friends who aren't in our restaurant.

Had a few lunches in the Verandah and if it was a choice, personal tastes are for Bamboo or Coriander

I have never much liked the Verandah. It is the only place on a Cunard ship I have ever felt was a little stuffy, and the lunch menu is quite limited, I think. We have had some nice meals in Coriander and La Piazza and would highly recommend both of them. It is nicely laid up, with table cloths etc, and you will probably have a window table so it doesn't seem too much like the Lido.

28 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have never much liked the Verandah. It is the only place on a Cunard ship I have ever felt was a little stuffy, and the lunch menu is quite limited, I think. We have had some nice meals in Coriander and La Piazza and would highly recommend both of them. It is nicely laid up, with table cloths etc, and you will probably have a window table so it doesn't seem too much like the Lido.

Stuffy and OTT. Not my choice, as I said unless invited to lunch with non QG friends.

• Like 1

Of course it is very much about one's personal taste. 

Steakhouse vs one of the country specific cuisines offered.

The service and setting was usually much better in the Veranda, i.e. correct and as it should be.

Service and food was even much niecer before they turned this friendly classic restaurant into a steakhouse, but still.

Maybe you just check the menues once on board.

9 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

As part of my booking on QE I am offered either 2 meals at "Dinner at the Lido" or 1 meal at "Steakhouse at the Verandah."

We can't book until onboard.  We are in regular Britannia.

Any thoughts?

Is one choice better value, quality of food, etc.

If the offering is totally of one’s choice/s and not the Booking agent’s, then take t(e Verandah dinner with a seafood sharing platter and Wagyu steak.

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Now I am a little bit confused.  I know that in Kings Court they used to offer country specific dining options however I was looking at the Cunard website about the Lido's optional dining option and it said in part:

"Each night at the Lido introduces a fresh selection of dishes inspired by British and European favorites and executed with hallmark Cunard flair. Indulge in a sharing dish for two with your choice of family-style sides (one per person is usually the perfect amount) or choose your favorites from a tempting menu of appetizers, entrees, and desserts."

It sounds like they changed how things work.

4 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Now I am a little bit confused.  I know that in Kings Court they used to offer country specific dining options however I was looking at the Cunard website about the Lido's optional dining option and it said in part:

"Each night at the Lido introduces a fresh selection of dishes inspired by British and European favorites and executed with hallmark Cunard flair. Indulge in a sharing dish for two with your choice of family-style sides (one per person is usually the perfect amount) or choose your favorites from a tempting menu of appetizers, entrees, and desserts."

It sounds like they changed how things work.

It sounds like that, but despite something like that info being on Myvoyage for our trip, they'd hadn't changed it when we were aboard last month. We had a lovely meal in La Piazza.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It sounds like that, but despite something like that info being on Myvoyage for our trip, they'd hadn't changed it when we were aboard last month. We had a lovely meal in La Piazza.

Thanks to all.  However, it seems like I will have to wait until I am aboard and see what the options really are and look at the menus.

We weren’t overly impressed by the Verandah especially at the supplement price. Starter of lobster cocktail was lovely and my steak was good but the husband’s steak not so good and it was all a bit “emperor’s new clothes “ to me. Coriander was a regular offering and Dinner at the Lido menu looked good too.