Barcelona vs. NCL's new vaccine announcement

ugagrad97

Does anyone know why Spain still has country specific rules on NCL's sail safe page?  Everything I've read says you can go to Spain without a vaccine now.  Looks like Spain changed their covid rules sometime over the summer.  Given that NCL is dropping vaccine requirements (pending local rules and regulations) in September, it would seem that a cruise leaving from Barcelona would be fair game without a vaccine now.  Their sail safe page says it was just updated this week.  Do we think this is a case where someone just missed something and they'll update it soon?  Or am I missing something?  Everything I google says you can enter Spain with a negative covid test or a recovery document if you aren't vaccinated.  Delta Airlines provides destination specific guidelines before you book flights somewhere too and they say you can go to Barcelona without a vaccine.  Is there something specific at the Barcelona port that a google search isn't turning up?  Or do we think NCL's website just isn't current? Thanks everyone.  

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Perhaps it's like Canada?  No requirement to get into the Country, but still must test/vaccinate if going on a cruise?

Wouldn't that be up to the cruise line then, though?  Do countries have different rules for ports?

1 hour ago, ugagrad97 said:

Wouldn't that be up to the cruise line then, though?  Do countries have different rules for ports?

Totally up to the cruise line to set rules to cruise. And if you "know better" and don't have the requisite documentation, you will be standing on the dock, waving farewell to the ship as it leaves without you. For example, NCL had a 100% vaccination rule when it started cruising, even though that was not required by the CDC. 

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Totally up to the cruise line to set rules to cruise. And if you "know better" and don't have the requisite documentation, you will be standing on the dock, waving farewell to the ship as it leaves without you. For example, NCL had a 100% vaccination rule when it started cruising, even though that was not required by the CDC. 

Completely understand that.  And won't book a trip until I understand the rules since my kids aren't vaccinated. 

Since NCL just said they will allow unvaccinated travelers, why would their website indicate Spain is different?  Looks like you're a travel agent, so you may be in the know.  Does Spain actually have different rules than the rest of Europe that I'm not finding on the internet?  Because Spain and Greece are the only European countries singled out on their country specific guidance.  Everything I google about Greece does indicate that they do still have country rules.  But not Spain.  

Edited by ugagrad97

On 8/10/2022 at 9:34 PM, ugagrad97 said:

Does anyone know why Spain still has country specific rules on NCL's sail safe page?  Everything I've read says you can go to Spain without a vaccine now.  Looks like Spain changed their covid rules sometime over the summer.  Given that NCL is dropping vaccine requirements (pending local rules and regulations) in September, it would seem that a cruise leaving from Barcelona would be fair game without a vaccine now.  

Looks like the protocols are changing fast all over the industry now, and so it's bound to be messy for a while (have upcoming cruises myself on RCI, NCL and Celebrity in and around Europe this fall and trying to figure it out - and it ain't easy). If you are in no hurry to book, perhaps wait a few more weeks till cruisers start coming back with real life reports of how the protocols were implemented on specific itineraries & cruise ports.

Actually, it seems that Spain issues specific rules & regulations for cruise ships, and the most recent version I could find in English is dated April 22. The reason as to why Spain (and also Greece) still have country specific rules re cruises that differ from the rest of Europe, could very well be simply that the local health authorities have not come around to updating the cruise-regulations yet.

https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/sanidadExterior/docs/HealtMeasuresOnInternationalCruises_v8_04-22.pdf

8 hours ago, Maria63 said:

Actually, it seems that Spain issues specific rules & regulations for cruise ships, and the most recent version I could find in English is dated April 22. The reason as to why Spain (and also Greece) still have country specific rules re cruises that differ from the rest of Europe, could very well be simply that the local health authorities have not come around to updating the cruise-regulations yet.

https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/sanidadExterior/docs/HealtMeasuresOnInternationalCruises_v8_04-22.pdf

That article was interesting.  I was skeptical when you said it was from April because I know for a fact that Spain changed its rules in June I believe.  It was definitely recent.  But I read it anyway.  Not sure if you saw this, but the article (even from April) says:

2. All passengers aged 12 or older must have one of the following health certificates prior to boarding. These must be available at all times in case they are required:

a. Vaccination certificate,

b. Certificate of diagnostic test showing negative result,

c. Proof of recovery certificate.

So again, no vaccine required.  There are other alternatives.  Maybe I should just wait to see if any of this gets untangled in the next few weeks.  Royal (who also dropped vaccine mandates this week) says I can do Spain unvaccinated.  I just have this feeling that NCL's protocols aren't updated to the current standards in Spain.  Not sure why they haven't noticed.  Surely that's someone's job.  

Ugh...want to do the Med badly and basically October is the end of that season.  September lines up with our school system though so I hope someone untangles this soon.  And with these recent vaccine changes, all lines seem to be offering sales right now.  So of course it would be nice to book this week, but I guess I'll have to wait.

The cruise ship/passenger rules for Spain as of today's date:

• Itineraries that include Spain require a booster, for all individuals  18 years or older, if their original vaccine course was taken more than 270 days prior to embarkation.
  • For itineraries which require boosters, in lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, guests may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery.
  • For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate.
  • For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e. US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory confirmed PCR or antigen test result with the proper information (i.e. Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.) will be accepted.
  • Like 1

Thank you, Ugagrad97 and Kapper, for noticing those details, I hadn't caught those myself. I've been more focused on the testing requirements for vaccinated adults.

It's getting increasingly inconvenient for Europeans to find reasonably priced testing locations with opening hours that align with travel schedules. As the travel industry generally is skipping the test requirement I really do wish the cruise companies would too.

I still don't know that any of this makes sense.  Europe is difficult to figure out, at least for me.  And you have competing companies that have different things published on their website.  If NCL is dropping vaccine requirements except when it has to follow local regulations (their words), then I'm not sure why NCL would have harder rules for Spain than it's competitors.  If the competitors can offer the trip, then that means the local regulations allow it.  So why does NCL have a higher bar?  I may end up just cruising on Royal which is not what I wanted.  I like all the free at sea deals with NCL.  I really just think someone in the compliance department has dropped the ball and not updated Spain appropriately.  But with school break in September, I'm not sure how much longer I want to wait to book something.  So be it.

Edited by ugagrad97

On 8/14/2022 at 11:21 AM, ugagrad97 said:

I still don't know that any of this makes sense.  Europe is difficult to figure out, at least for me.  And you have competing companies that have different things published on their website.  If NCL is dropping vaccine requirements except when it has to follow local regulations (their words), then I'm not sure why NCL would have harder rules for Spain than it's competitors.  If the competitors can offer the trip, then that means the local regulations allow it.  So why does NCL have a higher bar?  I may end up just cruising on Royal which is not what I wanted.  I like all the free at sea deals with NCL.  I really just think someone in the compliance department has dropped the ball and not updated Spain appropriately.  But with school break in September, I'm not sure how much longer I want to wait to book something.  So be it.

The rules are not NCL rules but Spain's rules. NCL has to follow the local country's rules to be able to stop there and allow passengers to disembark.  European countries each have their own set of rules.  There is a website that you can look up each country in the EU to check their rules (it is kept fairly current)  https://reopen.europa.eu/en

This is the same for Canada, Mexico, the islands in the Caribbean and any other country NCL sails to. Remember - the cruise ships can set rules for what happens on their ships however, the countries set the rules on what happens in their countries.

1 hour ago, krittykat said:

The rules are not NCL rules but Spain's rules. NCL has to follow the local country's rules to be able to stop there and allow passengers to disembark.  European countries each have their own set of rules.  There is a website that you can look up each country in the EU to check their rules (it is kept fairly current)  https://reopen.europa.eu/en

This is the same for Canada, Mexico, the islands in the Caribbean and any other country NCL sails to. Remember - the cruise ships can set rules for what happens on their ships however, the countries set the rules on what happens in their countries.

Correct.  That's my whole point.  NCL's rules do not jive with the rules of the country.  Of course they can set their own rules too.  It's their ship.  But if they're dropping vaccine requirements, pending only local restrictions, I'm not sure why they're saying someone not vaccinated cannot travel from Barcelona.  That is not what I read when I research Spain's rules.

Edited by ugagrad97

1 hour ago, krittykat said:

And, just for grins, I pulled up that website, and look what it says for Greece, with an update date of today:

1458571053_Screenshot2022-08-16143230.jpg.d0e9a9e64e38d3936b145889a1fd9375.jpg

22 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

My reading of all the information, is that no pre-cruise testing is required prior to boarding in Barcelona by either NCL or Spanish Authorities.

Did you look at the country specific requirements on NCL's sail safe.  You have to do this extra click and go to the country page.  Spain is listed.  That's not my take on what I read.  I would love for you to be right though.

2 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

And, just for grins, I pulled up that website, and look what it says for Greece, with an update date of today:

1458571053_Screenshot2022-08-16143230.jpg.d0e9a9e64e38d3936b145889a1fd9375.jpg

Just be careful to note that those are the rules from other EU countries.  Not from the US.  Not sure where you live of course.  But I'm in the US. 

I have researched coming into Spain from the US though since that's what applies to me on other sites like their ministry of health site. I still think NCL's rules are outdated as they pertain to Spain.

• Itineraries that include Spain require a booster, for all individuals  18 years or older, if their original vaccine course was taken more than 270 days prior to embarkation. 
  • For itineraries which require boosters, in lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, guests may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery. 

49 minutes ago, mlsetc said:

It seems to say, if no booster within 270 days, a test is required.

But what if no original vaccine at all.  I would love to hope that means that those travelers are considered the same as someone not boosted, thus test.  But that's not good enough to book a cruise for thousands of dollars.  Especially when it does have that clause that says "after the primary series." 

When you call or online chat them, those agents can only regurgitate what they read on the website.  So it's a mystery that really needs clarification.  On Spain's ministry of health websites, it's clear.  Unvaccinated (not just lacking a booster) are welcome with a test.  But can't risk that if NCL's rules don't mirror that.

Edited by ugagrad97
  • Haha 1

Non vaccinated can now enter Spain (by flight, ship or vehicle etc) from 12th June 2022.  They need to show a negative pcr or antigen test.    Vaccinated entrants must have had a booster (no time limit) or their last vaccination between 14 and 270 days/

1 hour ago, deniseatnycs said:

Non vaccinated can now enter Spain (by flight, ship or vehicle etc) from 12th June 2022.  They need to show a negative pcr or antigen test.    Vaccinated entrants must have had a booster (no time limit) or their last vaccination between 14 and 270 days/

I agree.  That's not how I interpret NCL's website though.  Wish someone in their corporate office would get their act together and update their site guidance for Spain now that they have waived the vaccine requirement as a company.  I'll either book with someone else (Royal) which isn't what I want, or I can wait about one more week and hope for NCL.  End of September is school break so I'm running out of time.  Grrr.  Surely this is someone's job at NCL.  

10 hours ago, ugagrad97 said:

I agree.  That's not how I interpret NCL's website though.  Wish someone in their corporate office would get their act together and update their site guidance for Spain now that they have waived the vaccine requirement as a company.  I'll either book with someone else (Royal) which isn't what I want, or I can wait about one more week and hope for NCL.  End of September is school break so I'm running out of time.  Grrr.  Surely this is someone's job at NCL.  

understand what your saying ugagrad97 but regardless of any Companies' website or T & Cs those are the entry requirements set by the Spanish Government.  We are on the Prima TA from Southampton on the 23rd September 2022.   NCl have done away with COVID testing but the Canadian Government require it pre embarkation.  We have the test on the 21st September and have a one port stop in Canada on the 3rd October which makes any tests out of date but its Canada's rule so we either produce a negative test result or we don't board the ship

It seems to me, that a very simple chart for each country that has the following information:

Vaccinated (w/Booster)  Yes or No

Pre-Cruise Testing  Yes or No

Then a statement that says if not vaccinated then must have a pre-cruise test.  

Then if someone wants more information, have a link.  All the explanation seems unduly burdensome and unnecessarily confusing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

It seems to me, that a very simple chart for each country that has the following information:

Vaccinated (w/Booster)  Yes or No

Pre-Cruise Testing  Yes or No

Then a statement that says if not vaccinated then must have a pre-cruise test.  

Then if someone wants more information, have a link.  All the explanation seems unduly burdensome and unnecessarily confusing.

Yep, it's like a different person wrote the guidance for each country.  There's nothing uniform about the way it's all laid out.  And it is confusing.  Charts are a great idea and the way to go.