Confussion about drink package

PopcornDK

Hi,

When looking on the MSC website, I am finding two different descriptions on the "Premium Extra Package".

One claims that "Entire selection of wines and champagne by the glass" is included, while the other states that "A varied selection of wine and champagne by the glass" is included.

Does anybody know what is correct? If I order a glass of wine, at $18, will I have to pay for it?

2.jpg

1.jpg.png

On 8/11/2022 at 6:13 AM, perakcruiser said:

I don't think there is any wine by the glass priced higher than 15 USD. All high end wines are only available by bottle. In that sense "entire" is probably correct.

Not true.  The Chateau Neuf du Pape is $15.50... a major tick me off to this cruiser 🙂

9 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Would it be fresh squeezed OJ or grapefruit juice?

I have seen on cruise ships in the past a machine they'd set up in the buffet that juices oranges while you watch. In that case, you would indeed be getting "fresh squeezed orange juice." That scenario aside ...

You can order "fresh squeezed orange juice" in the buffet all you want, and they will potentially bring you a premium product that was poured out of a carton. This is better than the "juice" that comes out of the self-serve dispensers but not exactly "fresh squeezed."

I put fresh squeezed orange juice in the same category as the "catch of the day" fish. I mean .. no one really thinks it was caught that day, do you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I have seen on cruise ships in the past a machine they'd set up in the buffet that juices oranges while you watch. In that case, you would indeed be getting "fresh squeezed orange juice." That scenario aside ...

You can order "fresh squeezed orange juice" in the buffet all you want, and they will potentially bring you a premium product that was poured out of a carton. This is better than the "juice" that comes out of the self-serve dispensers but not exactly "fresh squeezed."

I put fresh squeezed orange juice in the same category as the "catch of the day" fish. I mean .. no one really thinks it was caught that day, do you?

If they have the audacity to charge 7.50 for a 12 oz glass, it certainly better not be Tropicana poured from a carton. 

5 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If they have the audacity to charge 7.50 for a 12 oz glass, it certainly better not be Tropicana poured from a carton. 

These are the same folks that are selling you a glass of Clos Du Bois chardonnay for $9 a glass that I buy by the bottle on sale for $7.99. So I think they could.

16 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Saw a mention on a menu about cold pressed raw juices for 7.50 a 12 oz glass.  What are the examples of availability and are these included in the Easy Plus package?   Would it be fresh squeezed OJ or grapefruit juice?  Thanks

Never seen that other than on the Spa bars (ex: Orange and carrot mix). Availability varies by the region. Those juices used to be offered on top beverage packages, which in current MSC language is the Premium Extra. Sadly they've been removed from any packages way back in the day. As I remember the last time I had them were on my 2nd to the last cruise in 2015. Regular freshly squeezed OJ might be offered on the buffet or MDR for breakfast and in some bars. That also was removed from drinks packages by 2016 onward. Reinstated now with the Premium Extra.

Edited by Nunagoras

MSC does squeeze OJ every morning from fresh oranges!

FYI, the prices are in line with major breakfast sit-down chains...so not out of line.

The Easy Plus package does include fresh squeezed juices...Last on Divina we did not have Spa package, but still went to juice bar and had fresh fruit smoothies that were included with Easy Plus😃

2 hours ago, NMsunset said:

Where did you see them squeezing fresh oranges? Was this at the juice bar inside the spa? If so, that is good to know. Thanks.

But I've inquired about "fresh squeezed" in the buffet and was told by the server what they serve in there was a premium product compared to the self-serve dispensers but was not at all "fresh squeezed").

49 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Where did you see them squeezing fresh oranges? Was this at the juice bar inside the spa? If so, that is good to know. Thanks.

But I've inquired about "fresh squeezed" in the buffet and was told by the server what they serve in there was a premium product compared to the self-serve dispensers but was not at all "fresh squeezed").

At the coffee bar within the Buffet on the Divina and Mera is a fresh squeezed OJ machine.  And it is delicious, especially when used to top off a prosecco 🙂

Nobody evger said that cruise lines are discount retailers of per glass anything, be it wine or juice. You just can't relate the prices to the products available in your local super market. It never computes, no matter what cruise line it is.

3 hours ago, publicpersona said:

When I ordered orange juice at the buffet the first time the server said one fresh squeezed orange juice coming up. My husband asked him is it really fresh squeezed and he said yes. It tasted like it to me.

Well the next day we were sitting at the pool area outside the buffet and had a view of the bar and sure enough there was a machine back there and baskets of oranges and they were being freshly squeezed😁

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NMsunset said:

FYI, the prices are in line with major breakfast sit-down chains...so not out of line.

The Easy Plus package does include fresh squeezed juices...Last on Divina we did not have Spa package, but still went to juice bar and had fresh fruit smoothies that were included with Easy Plus😃

I assume that the Meraviglia also has a juice bar since it's a newer build than the Divina.

Just so you know, fresh OJ can be produced industrially. One bottle can be pretty expensive, costs $5-10, and last for only a few days (because this is really a fresh product). 

Many hotels use these, and are really good. As good as freshly squeezed.

I wouldn't feel robbed if served these for a cost.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eclectictaste said:

I believe you pay the difference, not full price if you're over by a few bucks.

No, unlike their competitors, if you get a drink that is over to your limit by 2 bucks, you pay the entire amount of the higher drink, not just the 2 bucks plus tip that you would pay on other cruise lines.