Newbie - Dress code for wheelchair user?

RollingAround

hello everyone, first time poster, first time cruiser next month - have a question regarding dress code.  Bit of Background - My other half is a fulltime wheelchair user and this means wearing a suit jacket is difficult, can't sit with it done up as it's uncomfortable and if it's open it gets in the way of the wheels.  Also he doesn't possess a pair of shoes as it's challenging to get them on, he has smart black casual trainers (not sports trainers) that he's worn to funerals and so forth recently.   Does this mean any evening activity is out for us if he can't wear a jacket or proper shoes?  Even with a shirt and tie on?  We can look for a cheap pair of shoes for him - it seems even for 'smart casual' it says 'no trainers' - but I wonder if this is strictly applied for disabled passengers?

Does anyone have any experience or advice?  thanks in advance!

I would hate to think (or for that matter, dare) any cruise line, for any reason, would challenge any person, with any disability, inability or otherwise for the sake of dinner in the main restaurant.   

If your OH has a shirt / tie on, I imagine they will look more than smart enough. 

Have a wonderful time. 

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I would hate to think (or for that matter, dare) any cruise line, for any reason, would challenge any person, with any disability, inability or otherwise for the sake of dinner in the main restaurant.   

If your OH has a shirt / tie on, I imagine they will look more than smart enough. 

Have a wonderful time. 

thank you for the kind reply!  we are looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Welcome to cruise critic.

I think showingdiva’s response says it all. I very much doubt there would ever be any issue but on the tiny off chance, just quote the provisions of the Equality Act 2010.

You may also wish to know that there is a sub forum on cruise critic for disability which you might find helpful. 

Have a wonderful first cruise. Come back and tell us how it went, I’m sure you will have fun.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Welcome to cruise critic.

I think showingdiva’s response says it all. I very much doubt there would ever be any issue but on the tiny off chance, just quote the provisions of the Equality Act 2010.

You may also wish to know that there is a sub forum on cruise critic for disability which you might find helpful. 

Have a wonderful first cruise. Come back and tell us how it went, I’m sure you will have fun.

thanks very much!  we are on Azura next month and then booked for Iona for next year.  looking forward to it, and i'll certainly head to the disabled passenger forum.  thanks!

• Like 1

I have seen wheelchair users without jackets on formal nights and it has not presented any problems - a shirt and tie are adequate (although if the disability precludes the wearing of a tie then that would not be an issue).

As for shoes - you see all sorts of footwear on passengers as many have problems with their feet with means they are unable to wear "proper" shoes.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, showingdiva said:

Have a wonderful time. 

Just what I was going to say. If in the unlikely circumstances you are challenged just tell them he can't wear a jacket. As for shoes ladies wear all sorts of weird things  , so no reason why he can't wear what is comfortable. I'm sure I have seen someone in slippers as they had feet problems. 

• Thanks 1

I’d agree with everything written

Just an idea you might want to mull over - would he enjoy wearing a waistcoat, plain or fancy?  If so, it would add an element of “dress up”, to go with the formal occasion

But don’t worry - formal is a thing that seems a big thing before you cruise but which soon becomes much less of a troublesome thing and just a nice thing

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, david63 said:

I have seen wheelchair users without jackets on formal nights and it has not presented any problems - a shirt and tie are adequate (although if the disability precludes the wearing of a tie then that would not be an issue).

As for shoes - you see all sorts of footwear on passengers as many have problems with their feet with means they are unable to wear "proper" shoes.

Thank you, we can do a shirt and tie 😊

On 8/13/2022 at 8:39 AM, Jazzytelly said:

Just what I was going to say. If in the unlikely circumstances you are challenged just tell them he can't wear a jacket. As for shoes ladies wear all sorts of weird things  , so no reason why he can't wear what is comfortable. I'm sure I have seen someone in slippers as they had feet problems. 

Slippers sounds perfect to me 😆 thank you for the reply 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Eddie99 said:

I’d agree with everything written

Just an idea you might want to mull over - would he enjoy wearing a waistcoat, plain or fancy?  If so, it would add an element of “dress up”, to go with the formal occasion

But don’t worry - formal is a thing that seems a big thing before you cruise but which soon becomes much less of a troublesome thing and just a nice thing

Yes perhaps we are overthinking it!  A waistcoat was also an idea we had and he’s been trying some on, we might go with that.  Thank you! 

• Like 2

Forget any worries you have i seen someone saying they were asked to leave one of the Places on Formal Night because her Husband had went back to his cabin and removed his Jacket.

I contacted them as i suffer very badly from the heat and if warm and forced to keep my jacket on all night they better keep the Ships Doctor handy. There reply was they would not expect anyone to stick to anything that made them uncomfortable ad if any staff commented to me about having my jacket removed just explain why and everything would be fine. So worry about all the other things nor that.🤩 ENJOY 

• Thanks 1