Tendering...personal weight limitation

Wink87

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've never seen any passenger restricted by weight, mobility or any other reason.

Some excursion do have Weight, Height and Age limitations.   Some make no sense at all.

Only mobility limitations in getting on and off the tenders.  It always was you needed to be able to get yourself on and off.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:29 PM, Kennedysa said:

My hubby also up in the 320 plus range.  Have been cruising for 22 years and his weight has never been an issue when tendering required at a port. Enjoy your cruise.

Ty for this.

Further to what others have posted, if there is a weight limit imposed on any tender I doubt it's anything to do with the actual boat itself, surely theyd just take one less person. Maybe there's a chance it might be related to the availability of life jackets/buoyancy aids which come in a variety of sizes and should generally be sized to fit the person. Firstly they do need to fit on the person and they are generally sized by the weight of the person they need to keep afloat. I could be completely wrong about why this is the reason there might be a weight limitation, but I know from experience about making sure people you're looking after on water have the correct sized life jackets. 

1 hour ago, Cruisegoer said:

Celebrity slaps a "weight limit" on any and every excursion regardless so while I doubt they even consider it or check in reality it is a bit off-putting if you are a person of size.

Celebrity doesn’t, the contractor who operates the shore excursion does (or more probably, the contractor’s insurance company does)

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 2:00 AM, letsgogogo said:

Thanks for your judgyiness while not answering the OPs question. Very helpful. 

I didn't read any judginess in the comment. It is a legitimate safety issue: if Celebrity cannot accommodate people in an emergency, then Celebrity should not let that person board.  Actually a criticism of Celebrity if it in fact does not have tenders capable of safely accommodating heavier people--if the restriction is actually based on the tender's limitations.

On 8/14/2022 at 2:00 AM, letsgogogo said:

Thanks for your judgyiness while not answering the OPs question. Very helpful. 

I'm a person of size, but I didn't read the comment as judging. I read it as operational - essentially, "if you're on the ship, you can get on the tender."

Since Celebrity lets people cruise with wheelchairs and a myriad of other health issues, I can't fathom weight being an issue for cruising, boarding, or tendering. There may be some difficulty in actually getting into the tender of some people, but again, if a person in a wheel chair can be accommodated, so could a person of size.

Any weight limitations have to be coming from the excursion vendor, which could be legit, or be capricious.