What clothes for September Norwegian Cruise

DeclanDiamond

Hi, we are booked for a week on Virtuosa on Sept 3rd. I'm wondering what clothes to pack. Is it liable to be cold and wet in Norway, or sunny and warm .... or both!

Should we pack fleeces and waterproof coats/and or shorts and t shirts?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DeclanDiamond

6 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Let me guess.  Judging by your posts, I think it's safe to assume that you ran with scissors as a child! 😉

Actually, I was a fairly normal kid. Then I discovered alcohol and it’s been all downhill since 🙂

• Haha 3

Take layers, it can be really nice or a bit colder (particularly in the evenings when the sun drops).

Southern Norway is still ok temperature wise in September around 60f daytime but I would take shorts and a fleece and a waterproof jacket to layer up or down (warning, I am Scottish so used to colder temperatures all year round, if you are from a hotter part of the world it may feel cold to you).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Take layers, it can be really nice or a bit colder (particularly in the evenings when the sun drops).

Southern Norway is still ok temperature wise in September around 60f daytime but I would take shorts and a fleece and a waterproof jacket to layer up or down (warning, I am Scottish so used to colder temperatures all year round, if you are from a hotter part of the world it may feel cold to you).

Appreciate that, thanks.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Absolutely concur with this advise. Our sailing was June, it was certainly warmer in Southern Norway, t-shirt was fine but we needed proper winter coats etc when we were in the Northern areas. Layers are definitely your friend for this trip. Again, support the previous statement that it depends on the temperature you're used to. We travelled from Northern Ireland, which is always cold, so are used to those temperatures. If your from Florida it's going to be freezing 🥶 

• Like 2

Indeed most of the passengers on our cruise wore thick jackets in the more northern parts while some locals wereebjoying the sun in t-shirt. In August. 

Thus for us, we would say no shorts. Yet you maybe more lucky or cold resistent.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 9:00 AM, CruisingFox27 said:

Absolutely concur with this advise. Our sailing was June, it was certainly warmer in Southern Norway, t-shirt was fine but we needed proper winter coats etc when we were in the Northern areas. Layers are definitely your friend for this trip. Again, support the previous statement that it depends on the temperature you're used to. We travelled from Northern Ireland, which is always cold, so are used to those temperatures. If your from Florida it's going to be freezing 🥶 

Thanks, we are from Northern Ireland ourselves, however I was born and raised in London and indeed find Northern Ireland cold ... never got used to the temperatures even after being here for 30 years!

I'll definitely pack for every eventuality then.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:02 AM, carlmm said:

Indeed most of the passengers on our cruise wore thick jackets in the more northern parts while some locals wereebjoying the sun in t-shirt. In August. 

Thus for us, we would say no shorts. Yet you maybe more lucky or cold resistent.

Appreciate you commenting, thanks. I'll take your comments on board and pack accordingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeclanDiamond said:

Thanks, we are from Northern Ireland ourselves, however I was born and raised in London and indeed find Northern Ireland cold ... never got used to the temperatures even after being here for 30 years!

I'll definitely pack for every eventuality then.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

We were also 'blow in's' but have recently returned to sunny England. And the climate was an influence. It wasn't so much the temperature but the rain and, as we were on the north coast, the 'refreshing sea breeze' 🥶

Our Norwegian Fjords cruise was one of our favourites, the scenery is stunning. I hope you have a fabulous time. 

• Haha 1

We're also booked on this cruise and I'll be taking lots of layers.

I have a nice waterproof jacket and will even be bringing black tights to wear with dresses if I feel it's a bit chilly.

I'm very excited for this cruise and honestly am looking forward to it being a bit cooler than it has been in the UK recently.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:14 PM, CruisingFox27 said:

We were also 'blow in's' but have recently returned to sunny England. And the climate was an influence. It wasn't so much the temperature but the rain and, as we were on the north coast, the 'refreshing sea breeze' 🥶

Our Norwegian Fjords cruise was one of our favourites, the scenery is stunning. I hope you have a fabulous time. 

Haha, we are inland, in the Sperrin mountains and as well as feeling the cold, it seems to rain 6 days a week year round! 

Thanks again