Sky Suite (corner aft-facing) vs. Sunset Concierge (aft-facing deluxe balcony)

jgaabq

Just booked Sept'23 Alaskan cruise for 30th anniversary. Really wanted an aft-facing cabin, but Sky Suite gave me sticker shock. Now I'm second guessing it. Do you have any thoughts? I'm reading that sailing Alaska in Sept, we should expect rain almost everyday. Does that mean I'll be wasting money on the bigger balcony?

This will be our first trip to Alaska. 

Mr. & Mrs. Bubbles

No crystal ball here regarding the weather, but yes, I do understand your sticker shock.  A Sky suite on one 12 day cruise is almost 20,000 for two!  only you can make that decision, but it seems like your gut is telling you to not book a suite.  Good luck!

We had a aft Sunset cabin for a Alaska sailing in September.  Aft facing is the only way to go.
 We had very little rain and lots of sun.  The ship blocks the wind and we were able to be out on the balcony in jeans and long sleeve shirts.  When at glacier or just cruising we didn’t have to worry about what side of the ship to be on as we had a view of both.  

• Like 1

My family has a few horses in Gainesville. Main ranch is in Liberty, TX.  Yes, for all of the reasons you mentioned, is why I wanted the aft-facing cabin. We are on deck 10, aft facing. But that Sky Suite is really pretty, and the balcony is huge.  Still, it doubled the price of the cruise.

My son is on an Alaska cruise this week. On NCl in an aft Haven Suite. Rain almost everyday so use of balcony somewhat limited but Haven is like retreat. Different level of Vacay. So I’d say book SS if you want retreat not for a bigger balcony.  Aft view is the way to go in Alaska. Hope this helps 

• Like 1

We went on a B2B  Alaskan cruise in May 2008.   It is known to be the rainy season.   It only rained one day. The weather was perfect.   The day it rained was the last port that we had already been to and it started 1 hour before sail away 

Can  anyone predict the weather?   My guess is no.   The weather reporters are wrong more times than being right and are very good tap dancers explaining why they were wrong about the day before plus why they may not be right today or tomorrow 

The best weather person was Ben Franklin and he did it without all the modern day resources.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

An aft is the absolute best location for Alaska and we're doing it again. We selected our Alaska cruises by aft cabin location along with date. We wouldn't do it any other way.

We have also been there in September and were prepared for any type of weather with waterproof shoes and clothing. We didn't let an occasional shower stop us.

Have a great cruise.