Medallion Net, price doubled?

Jazzytelly

Went to book the medallion net for our forthcoming cruise a few days ago but didn’t get round to doing it. Went in to order it today with exactly a week to go and the price has doubled. Is that normal for the price to double the week before boarding? We are Elite so should get 50% off perhaps it hasn’t picked that up today but did a few days ago??? Any advice please?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

Went to book the medallion net for our forthcoming cruise a few days ago but didn’t get round to doing it. Went in to order it today with exactly a week to go and the price has doubled. Is that normal for the price to double the week before boarding? We are Elite so should get 50% off perhaps it hasn’t picked that up today but did a few days ago??? Any advice please?

You really ought to check out some of the threads first.  There is a well-publicized bug where the MC App has stopped offering the discount and we are all waiting for their IT to wake up and fix the system again.  Just lousy Quality Control in testing - or no testing at all.

ETA:  Sorry to be a bit testy, but some folks just don't seem to check out existing threads before posting again.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You really ought to check out some of the threads first.  There is a well-publicized bug where the MC App has stopped offering the discount and we are all waiting for their IT to wake up and fix the system again.  Just lousy Quality Control in testing - or no testing at all.

ETA:  Sorry to be a bit testy, but some folks just don't seem to check out existing threads before posting again.

So what’s the advice then, do you buy it at the higher price and get the difference back . Also why did it work a few days ago then. 

Just editing to clarify I saw a thread about internet if people had Princess Plus but I thought it was about the order for the internet disappearing from the app so didn’t think it was relevant. Perhaps I should have read on further into the thread??

Edited by Jazzytelly

13 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

So what’s the advice then, do you buy it at the higher price and get the difference back . Also why did it work a few days ago then. 

Just editing to clarify I saw a thread about internet if people had Princess Plus but I thought it was about the order for the internet disappearing from the app so didn’t think it was relevant. Perhaps I should have read on further into the thread??

There are several threads on this issue.  It happened a few days ago to me, when I checked the App.  I alerted CC to check their App.

If you’re traveling soon, I’d call PCL and tell them you want to purchase the MedallionNet at the discount price over the phone. 

If you’re far out, you might wait and see if they do anything.

Always go to the PCl forum…scan through the postings…you’ll find a lot of subjects that might help.

4 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

If you cannot wait until the App is fixed, I would phone into Princess and explain that you want to purchase MedallionNet and why you cannot do it self-serve (not giving the 50% off).  I'd expect someone to place the order at 50% off.  If they say they have to charge full amount, I'd ask why and I'd try and get them to immediately post the 50% as non-refundable OBC to my booking.

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If you cannot wait until the App is fixed, I would phone into Princess and explain that you want to purchase MedallionNet and why you cannot do it self-serve (not giving the 50% off).  I'd expect someone to place the order at 50% off.  If they say they have to charge full amount, I'd ask why and I'd try and get them to immediately post the 50% as non-refundable OBC to my booking.

I tried that with one of their "advisors"; they said they couldn't put in the order but I should be able to in the Medallion app.  I couldn't.  At no point, did they suggest installing the current version.  Retirement can make you oblivious, even if you spent 35 years in the industry.  But it did occur to me that I might try deleting the one that I had on my phone and tablet (they were all pre-pandemic,)  and installing whatever they had at the Android store.  Sure enough that made the purchase possible.  Apparently their software does not check to see if you have a current version.
With regard to the purchase, Princess indicated that Platinum/Elite status passengers would receive a 50% OBC.  Never happened for me, they just charged me 50% of the price.

28 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I tried that with one of their "advisors"; they said they couldn't put in the order but I should be able to in the Medallion app.  I couldn't.  At no point, did they suggest installing the current version.  Retirement can make you oblivious, even if you spent 35 years in the industry.  But it did occur to me that I might try deleting the one that I had on my phone and tablet (they were all pre-pandemic,)  and installing whatever they had at the Android store.  Sure enough that made the purchase possible.  Apparently their software does not check to see if you have a current version.
With regard to the purchase, Princess indicated that Platinum/Elite status passengers would receive a 50% OBC.  Never happened for me, they just charged me 50% of the price.

What timeframe are you referring to?  The old apps you mention are "ancient".  The new MedallionClass app was released early June, 2021.  When did you phone in to get the 50% net cost charged?  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately we are in the UK and it’s virtually impossible to get through to Princess here. I don’t really want the 50% as OBC as we will be paying in GBP so the OBC would be in US$ and we already have plenty of OBC . I might try installing the app on a different device or phoning our TA but I know they are also taking hours to get through to Princess. 

Thanks for all your replies 

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It should be refundable OBC.

45 minutes ago, caribill said:

Unfortunately I really don't want OBC whether refundable or not as dollars are no good to me I don't know when I will use again. I already have hundreds of dollars in cash to give the crew that we never used from our Covid cancelled Hawaii cruise

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

brain fart - REFUNDABLE!!!!

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Edited by Steelers36
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

Unfortunately I really don't want OBC whether refundable or not as dollars are no good to me I don't know when I will use again. I already have hundreds of dollars in cash to give the crew that we never used from our Covid cancelled Hawaii cruise

I’m also in the UK & was unable to purchase the MedallionNet on the App with my 50% Elite discount. When I rang they said they were unable to charge me the reduced price - I had to pay in full & get the 50% refunded as OBC when onboard. The only alternative offered was to wait until I was onboard then I would only pay the reduced price. I guess if you have loads of OBC that is an option for you but I believe it is dearer onboard than if you pre-purchase. So a lose/lose situation for UK passengers where the App just does not work to purchase in advance. I guess as most passengers from the UK seem to be purchasing the Plus fare which includes the internet, it’s not a priority to come up with a fix.

52 minutes ago, Rubynic said:

I’m also in the UK & was unable to purchase the MedallionNet on the App with my 50% Elite discount. When I rang they said they were unable to charge me the reduced price - I had to pay in full & get the 50% refunded as OBC when onboard. The only alternative offered was to wait until I was onboard then I would only pay the reduced price. I guess if you have loads of OBC that is an option for you but I believe it is dearer onboard than if you pre-purchase. So a lose/lose situation for UK passengers where the App just does not work to purchase in advance. I guess as most passengers from the UK seem to be purchasing the Plus fare which includes the internet, it’s not a priority to come up with a fix.

They are aware of the issue and working on a fix.  Timeline, IDK.

Watch this thread for an update…

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787341-ocean-medallion-app-part-3/page/152/#comment-63793788

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

What timeframe are you referring to?  The old apps you mention are "ancient".  The new MedallionClass app was released early June, 2021.  When did you phone in to get the 50% net cost charged?  Thanks.

The last time that I used the app was in December 2019, before the world got locked down.  Once I removed and replaced the app with the more recent one, I was able to order WiFi on the new app that tI downloaded.  I selected the 4 device package, and was charged $100 for a 10 day cruise.  Pretty much straight forward, nothing like what Princess had on their website where it indicated that I would be charged $20 per day and receive $10 per day in OBC.
https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

Sounds like they might be charging to full price now and Platinum/Elite folks might get a 50% OBC?

4 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

The last time that I used the app was in December 2019, before the world got locked down.  Once I removed and replaced the app with the more recent one, I was able to order WiFi on the new app that tI downloaded.  I selected the 4 device package, and was charged $100 for a 10 day cruise.  Pretty much straight forward, nothing like what Princess had on their website where it indicated that I would be charged $20 per day and receive $10 per day in OBC.
https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

Sounds like they might be charging to full price now and Platinum/Elite folks might get a 50% OBC?

You hit the sweet spot until the process gets fixed by IT (who knows how they managed to break it?).  I could have done the same, but didn't want to put the funds out well ahead of sail date.  So, hopefully the fix comes before I HAVE to buy.

ETA:  Like the page your link refers to, there are lots of examples on Princess.com where old marketing language doesn't match reality.  The MC App was offering the MedallionNet at 50% off to qualified members and hopefully it will once again when they fix whatever is broken.

Edited by Steelers36

Just now, pompeii said:

Can you still purchase internet on embarkation day for the pre-cruise price?  Or once you step foot on the ship, is the price already increased?

Not long after the MC App was enhanced in March to recognize member level and apply the discount at point-of-sale, reports were the ships stopped offering that pre-cruise pricing.  One of the main reasons the pre-cruise price was offered was due to difficulties in even ordering MedallionNet pre-cruise (check) and of course because there was no discount applied (check).  In theory, they should be doing it again, but I bet the ship personnel don't even know the System is bugged.  I wouldn't count on success there and would call Princess before sailing to order it. 

Their standard response is going to be pay 100% and get OBC on board.  As long as it is Refundable, it balances out, but hardly a guest-centric way to do it and we all know that the whole concept of the Medallion and the App is a guest-centric experience, remove barriers to a worry-free vacation experience (I can hear Padgett prattling on now about his amazing new world).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not long after the MC App was enhanced in March to recognize member level and apply the discount at point-of-sale, reports were the ships stopped offering that pre-cruise pricing.  One of the main reasons the pre-cruise price was offered was due to difficulties in even ordering MedallionNet pre-cruise (check) and of course because there was no discount applied (check).  In theory, they should be doing it again, but I bet the ship personnel don't even know the System is bugged.  I wouldn't count on success there and would call Princess before sailing to order it. 

Their standard response is going to be pay 100% and get OBC on board.  As long as it is Refundable, it balances out, but hardly a guest-centric way to do it and we all know that the whole concept of the Medallion and the App is a guest-centric experience, remove barriers to a worry-free vacation experience (I can hear Padgett prattling on now about his amazing new world).

Getting OBC is if you qualify for a loyalty discount of 50%, you should get the discount back in OBC.

But, as @Steelers36stated, call in and tell them you want your discounted rate pre cruise. I don’t trust the ship’s know about this bug either. I would definitely buy it pre cruise. 

37 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think I read these boards frequently and I didn't realize the price issue with the app.....

I have to admit - sometimes it is difficult to search CC.

Yes, I mentioned it under the App forum and then there were 2 or more threads.  I wish the moderator would have combined them, and front paged it. 

19 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, I mentioned it under the App forum and then there were 2 or more threads.  I wish the moderator would have combined them, and front paged it. 

It just goes to show that I think I frequent these boards (maybe daily) and I still miss these. If someone doesn't frequent daily - they wouldn't know.

I agree - pinned on the first page would be very helpful and combining threads also 🙂 

Edited by Coral