wondering about Covid on river cruises?

CanadaCruises

"Rampant". Love that word being used frequently to describe Covid on cruises, even tho no cruise line I am aware comes out and says " there are X number of cases, up from Y number of cases yesterday,  and Z cases 3 days ago". 

So, not sure anyone  is going to be able to tell you the Covid situation on river cruises in a general number. You could look on the board and/or roll call for cruise and cruise line, but, again,  as nobody is releasing hard core stats, it won't be easy to clearly assess the situation. 

Keep in mind many countries,  particularly in Europe...not all, are no longer considering Covid an emergency, so even less push to closely monitoring these things. 

• Like 1

I post in, and monitor, the River Cruising forum here at CC on a regular basis.   No reports of "rampant" Covid from returning river cruisers.  Don't know why Covid would be any more prevalent on a river cruise vs. an ocean cruise.

• Like 1

Iam currently on a Scenic river cruise in France; in April I was on a Viking River cruise Basel to Amsterdam.

In April face masks required and daily testing.

Now, in August no masks no testing, they don't even want to see the Covid vaccination certificate. The medical form sent us by Scenic I gave to reception and asked for another form for Mrs P who had left heres at home; "No worry, we don't need it" they said.

Rampant? No. Our friends went on the Douro in April, there were two people who faied the daily test and were taken to a hotel for isolation. Nay be there were some on our baot but I wasn't aware of it.

Now, in August there are a couple of people who wear masks on tour busses but that's the only indication of Covid.

On our June Viking GE cruise, 70 of an original 156 were put off the ship because of COVID. Viking discontinued daily testing during that trip.

They didn’t discontinue testing because COVID had gone away (obviously!). They discontinued testing because they were losing too much revenue by putting so many people off their ships!

COVID is being treated like any other illness in the UK and many other European countries. 

If you feel ill don't mix with others as if you had a cold or the flu. Only a small minority are at risk of developing a serious case and that's the risk you run with any contagious illness. Wash your hands regularly, cover your nose and mouth for coughs and sneezes and keep up with your vaccination boosters.

Enjoy your cruise and Carpe Diem.

• Like 1

We were on a Uniworld Rhine cruise in July.   Their written policy is that all passengers will be vaccinated but that was not the case on our cruise.  It was a "generational" cruise with lots of young kids.  One family of 10 caught covid and they were given the option of quarantining in their cabin for the rest of the cruise or going to a hotel.  They chose the hotel and it is my guess they did not quarantine.