Formal night question....

How many of you go to both formal nights? And would you, or have you noticed anyone wearing the same dress for both nights? Would that be a giant faux paus? Just wondering if it would matter. I wouldn't expect to do pictures both nights if we all had the same clothes on, and I myself would probably bring 2 dresses, but my step-daughter is not huge into dresses, and I really don't want to have to buy her two, so I wanted to know if its alright to wear the same one twice if we choose to eat in the dining room those nights. Thanks for any replies - I'm getting EXCITED!!!!

I eat in the dining room every night. I have alot of gowns I buy them after prom time for highschoolers or christmas time for $30 or $40. I don't think anyone would notice if you wore the same one and I don't think it would be bad at all. Less to pack!

I bring one pair of black cocktail pants, and two different cocktail blouses. Works out great!

As for your daughter, if her dress is simple, I don't think there would be any harm at all in wearing it twice. Sometimes, you can accessorize a simple dress differently, and it looks totally different too! Chunky funky beads one night and rhinestones another....voila! Two outfits. :)

Tracy

As much as we'd like to think they do I don't think anyone remembers what you wore the last formal night, unless it was VERY stunning, and then I think it would be welcomed that you wore it again. You can always accessorize differently.

And remember most guys bring ONE suit or tux.

If you can pack less... I'd say do it.

I'm a man and really don't notice these things that much, but after 43 years of marriage I do know that you can take the same dress with just a few different accessories and make it look completely different.

And since you will probably never see the others on board again, I wouldn't worry over it.

Trick, I like to pack light so I only bring 1 formal gown...and it is lovely. Lobster night I spend in the dinning room, 1st formal night I spend in Portifino and if there is a third, that is spent in Chops! No problem!

I haven't worn the same dress, but I have brought a long skirt and worn a different blouse each night. My aunt also does that. One of the women at our table wore the same dress both nights, but she used different accessories. She had a black dress and wore a metallic, silver shrug one night with crystal jewelry and a beaded shawl the other night with black and gold jewelry.

How many of you go to both formal nights? And would you, or have you noticed anyone wearing the same dress for both nights? ........my step-daughter is not huge into dresses, and I really don't want to have to buy her two, so I wanted to know if its alright to wear the same one twice if we choose to eat in the dining room those nights.

We have always gone to both formal nights. It's one of the few nights we haven't skipped in the dining room. We like to get dressed up and have so few occasions for it at home.

As far as people wearing the same outfit twice, personally, I've never noticed. If they did, it wouldn't matter to me. IMO the most important thing is to have fun. I tend not to worry about what other people do or wear. I think your step-dau will be fine int he same outfit on both formal nights. As mentioned, maybe change a few accesories. Perhaps in one of the ports she'll see something she really likes or maybe even on the ship.

thank you for all your responses!! I will make sure to let her know all this when we go shopping for dresses this weekend - of course, her very trendy sister thinks she needs two new dresses now also!!!!! I keep telling them, the more we spend now, the less we spend on vacation! By the way, I can now officially say, I've done the "doc dance" for the first time! Its a great feeling.

Hey- I dont really have a place to wear formal dresses at home, and I would rather spend the $$$ on an excursion- I found a great cocktail dress and I plan to wear it both nites- who will be looking at me anyway???:rolleyes:

I say- save the $$$ for the really fun stuff and dont worry- or mix and trade dresses if you can- dont worry about the other pax- they will all be think about how many lobster tails they can get!!!:D

We did only one formal night on our first cruise, and we did both formal nights on our recent AOS cruise. I came to realize that I really enjoy the formal night experience :) I should also add that the majority of guests were not dressed to the "nines" - most women wore skirts and fancy tops or pantsuits - very few on our sailing were wearing formal "gown" type dresses. Men wore suits ( very few in tuxes).

I also noticed that a good portion of guests wore the same outfit to both formal nights.......saves room in the suitcase if you don't have a hang up about those kinds of things ;)

I would only notice someone wearing the same thing twice if it was really wild. Neutral clothes would not stand out. We would never miss a formal as that is some of the best food of the cruise.

I noticed because it was a woman at my table ;)

We look forward to the formal nights and and always have fun dressing up, doing the pictures, etc. Personally, I wear my black tux both nights. Uh... I think my wife had two different dresses but I'm not really sure - therefor, wearing the same one twice would be fine. ;)

Some may notice if you wear the same thing, but they won't care. We had a mother and daughter at our table once and they switched their dresses each night.........no one ever mentioned it, it was noticed but it was just not an issue.

Last year my wife and I cruised alone and we went formal both nights. I brought my tux, vest and studs and she wore 2 different outfits. This year we are going with our daughters. We'll definitely go to the 1st formal night since we are celebrating a daughters birthday on board and the TA has arranged a cake for the 1st formal night. We'll play the 2nd night by ear.

Being with the kids, we'll forego the tux.

I'd rather see someone wear the same formal outfit for 2 dinners than to see that same person wear casual clothes on one of the formal nights.

Then there's my daughter.....she took 3 formal outfits for 2 formal nights so she would have "options!"!!!

If I have a taylor make me a blue denim Tux will I be able to wear it on formal nights?

Now this poster has a question....where is the "suggested dress code" let's get that cutting and pasting going.

My mom plans on doing this and I might....trying to lose a few lbs so my closet choices will open up. :rolleyes:

She will never see these people again....not a big deal.

Perfectly acceptable in my humble opinion. :D

I wouldn't worry about wearing the same thing twice. I take two shirts and two ties (blue and red to appease the Dems and Republicans at our table:D). As far as for women, they always look great whether or not they are wearing the same dress...pssst- I won't care :)

Archived