Tampa Cruise Terminal to Skyway bridge

richbum

the distance to be traveled is about 24 nautical miles from Port of Tampa cruise terminal to the bridge.  Now an average cruise ship can travel at 20 knots making this a trip of a lil over 1 hour (1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour.) A cruise ship will typically NOT run full speed thru restricted waters such as narrow channels as exist immediately leaving the port ....

image.thumb.png.c2329784ead078c77c9b3813d2ba2226.png

IME sailing from Tampa is was closer to two hours from departure .... 6 to 630pm and the Captain made an announcement well before arriving at the bridge. But early seating dinner WAS impacted . . . <Tampa Bay has a bad history of significant marine 'incidents' and full speed ahead is very seriously frowned upon .... I was a serving USCG Officer stationed here for the USCGC BLACKTHORN sinking (loss of life) and the knock down of the bridge (loss of life) ... not much later there was a case of two barges running into each other <no big deal> each carrying gasoline <now a big deal> .... TAMPA BAY now takes ship control VERY seriously . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I have cruised out of Tampa six times. It will take approx. 2 hrs & 15 minutes. The ship's speed is restricted because the Tampa ship channel is narrow and has  many turns along the trip, plus it is a very busy area. If you have early dinner seating, you'll go under the bridge about the same time as dinner seating  begins. I usually opt for.my time dining so I can be on deck for the bridge passing- its quite a notable moment - then on to dinner afterwards. Also be aware of sunset times. I've gotten quite a few great photos on past cruises during the bridge moment. But if you cruise during late Fall/Winter it will be dark as you go under the bridge and you won't be able to see much.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:00 PM, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

But if you cruise during late Fall/Winter it will be dark as you go under the bridge and you won't be able to see much.

The bridge is well lit, and you can see the whole thing. This picture from last December.

IMG_20211223_185839317.jpg

• Like 1