Let's talk Airbnb in Miami

Silent Penguin

Dh and I have a cruise coming up in early November.  It's leaving out of Miami.  Typically, we stay at a Marriott property pre-cruise because until Covid hit, my husband traveled regularly for his job and he'd earn a lot of Marriott points.  The points have dried up, and now that we'll be putting out our own money for pre-cruise lodging.  I'm thinking we'll book an Airbnb instead of a hotel.  Honestly, all we want is a clean, comfortable place to sleep for a couple nights.  We don't need a gym, pool, business center,  or buffet breakfast.   There are a LOT of  Airbnb place listings with Superhosts and a ton of glowing reviews that cost half the price of regular hotel (after fees), so why are there so few post on this board about Airbnb as an option for a pre-cruise stay?   We've stayed in many Airbnb's -even a couple in Miami- and I just wonder why more cruisers don't do it.  Or mabye they do.  Where are the Airbnb people?  

There have been many posts from Cruise Critic South Florida members regarding Airbnb's in the Miami area. Many condo buildings have strict regulations regarding Airbnb usage. A lot of owners advertise Airbnb!s but are not following their buildings restrictions and get caught. Customers arrive at buildings to find out they are locked out of the building. My building in Hallandale Beach Florida which is north of Miami strictly forbids it.

7 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Location of the Airbnb is important in many locations as some are located in not solid areas. Given that many board posters are not familiar with the particular geography of some cities ….. better (and safer) to patronize known properties. 

That is exactly what I thought was the case- that those who post here are sticking to what they know to be safe.  That's smart.   What's interesting is  that there are so, so many reviews on the Airbnb site written by cruisers who have had great Airbnb stays in Miami.   I guess those cruisers aren't posting their experiences on this Cruise Critic forum.   

9 hours ago, Corby114 said:

There have been many posts from Cruise Critic South Florida members regarding Airbnb's in the Miami area.

I have found nothing on the Florida Departures page for  the last year.    There was a brief discussion in May of 2021, and it was exactly pretty much what you stated.  I was hoping for more.  Maybe,  I'm searching incorrectly and you could lead me to all the South Florida posts about Miami Airbnbs? 

Edited by Silent Penguin

Be very careful with airbnb’s in the Miami area because as others have noted, they are forbidden in many buildings and you can be locked out.  I’ve personally witnessed it as our building did not allow it.

Here is an article about some of the buildings that allow air bnb in Miami. The ones that mention Brickell are ones that do allow it in that area. Can't tell you if the other areas are correct. 

https://www.condoblackbook.com/blog/miami-condos-that-allow-airbnb/