How do I avoid roaming charges but still be able to use email and texts?

mkerner

11 minutes ago, dd57 said:

A clarification  for others reading this thread.  Verizon Travel Pass (the $10/day) only kicks in if you make or receive a call, send a text(receiving is free) or use data.  Unfortunately there are a lot of apps that use data in the background like auto update, photo backup, fitness tracking, etc.  If you are able to stop all that, you can have your phone on at no cost.  That can be a lot of work, but is an option.

Also, wifi calling to an international number is billed at international rates, according to Verizon.  I've never tried it.  

Yes. This is true which is why we set up one phone with the $100 month long plan and will keep the other on airplane mode at all times. 

1 hour ago, longterm said:

If Verizon does it like AT&T, their international plan ($10/day) kicks in automatically every day that you use your phone. The max is $100 for a month, I think, but you may want to confirm that. 

If you don't use your phone's cellular in a day, you're not charged that day; if you text, and are not on wifi, that'll count as a $10 day.

What about receiving/sending emails using Verizon's cellular?  Does that kick in the $10 for the day?

11 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

What about receiving/sending emails using Verizon's cellular?  Does that kick in the $10 for the day?

If you are not using wireless connectivity (WiFi), then you will be using cellular data services to send/receive emails - using cellular data triggers the daily charge - so, yes to your question. 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:50 AM, longterm said:

Actually, what you'll want to do is buy a regional eSIM instead of for a single country. To do that, download the app onto your phone, then in the STORE, click the link at the top, to see Regional eSIMs. You can buy one for Europe, for example, that covers 39 countries; this covered the cruise we did recently that included Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, and Greece.

The package I bought the regional Europe package (39 countries) for 30 days, 10GB data, at $37. Our trip lasted 24 days total, so I paid $1.54 per day for full use of my cell phone. 

So, for $37 I can use my iphone as I would in the United States? We're going with another couple from our city. If I need to call or text them, I can do this for no extra charge other than the $37? I'm the only one of the 4 of us whose company is not paying for international plan. So, I can call or text them and it won't cost them any extra other than what their company is paying for anyway? Is that correct?

42 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

If you are not using wireless connectivity (WiFi), then you will be using cellular data services to send/receive emails - using cellular data triggers the daily charge - so, yes to your question. 🍺🥌

Yes. I agree. 

8 minutes ago, Krazy4Kruisin' said:

So, for $37 I can use my iphone as I would in the United States? We're going with another couple from our city. If I need to call or text them, I can do this for no extra charge other than the $37? I'm the only one of the 4 of us whose company is not paying for international plan. So, I can call or text them and it won't cost them any extra other than what their company is paying for anyway? Is that correct?

No. Most Airalo eSIMs are data-only. They do not cover calls. You can text and email via data, but calls are not included. You may be able to find an regional eSIM provider that covers calls, but my research has not uncovered many - hopefully someone else here can provide pointers to eSIMs with voice coverage. 🍺🥌

On 5/5/2023 at 10:57 PM, Krazy4Kruisin' said:

Yes, as long as your US provider supports calls over Wifi, and if you set things up carefully... see post #40 of this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2879288-how-do-i-avoid-roaming-charges-but-still-be-able-to-use-email-and-texts/?do=findComment&comment=65246157

Edited by Messybill
provided a link to the post

On 5/5/2023 at 8:11 PM, CurlerRob said:

No. Most Airalo eSIMs are data-only. They do not cover calls. You can text and email via data, but calls are not included. You may be able to find an regional eSIM provider that covers calls, but my research has not uncovered many - hopefully someone else here can provide pointers to eSIMs with voice coverage. 🍺🥌

I am trying to figure out what their advantage truly is then if you can’t make phone calls to places for no charge. If I have WhatsApp I can text without charges and not buy an eSim. 
or am I completely confused. Which is entirely possible!

35 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I am trying to figure out what their advantage truly is then if you can’t make phone calls to places for no charge. If I have WhatsApp I can text without charges and not buy an eSim. 
or am I completely confused. Which is entirely possible!

There is more to data connectivity than just text and email. It allows you to do everything on your phone except voice calls. It allows for full internet connectivity, browsing, app connectivity, photo syncing, map access, etc. Most of your apps require an internet connection at some point and many do it in background without you noticing.

37 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

There is more to data connectivity than just text and email. It allows you to do everything on your phone except voice calls. It allows for full internet connectivity, browsing, app connectivity, photo syncing, map access, etc. Most of your apps require an internet connection at some point and many do it in background without you noticing.

Thank you. If the only thing that I need while in ports is texting an Uber driver or sending a picture via text then WhatsApp works? If I want to download maps or access apps then eSim is the way to go?  But neither will cover a call to Uber - that will trigger international phone carrier plan? 
I guess I am trying to determine if I do not really plan on using apps in port, or the internet much, how important that is when I can pop into a place that has Wi-Fi and enjoy a coffee or glass of wine to access. 

Edited by Vineyard View

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. If the only thing that I need while in ports is texting an Uber driver or sending a picture via text then WhatsApp works? If I want to download maps or access apps then eSim is the way to go?  But neither will cover a call to Uber - that will trigger international phone carrier plan? 
I guess I am trying to determine if I do not really plan on using apps in port, or the internet much, how important that is when I can pop into a place that has Wi-Fi and enjoy a coffee or glass of wine to access. 

You don’t call Uber, you use an app. 
I haven’t made a voice call in over a year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 9:08 PM, Vineyard View said:

Hi,

I just got back from our cruise to and our stay in Israel.

I am very happy with my eSIM experience.  I used globalesim and bought a data plan that covered Europe.  The eSIM is with Orange and worked perfectly in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, and Cyprus.  For some reason, I thought I had to buy a separate eSIM for Turkey and for Israel, which I did do, even though both are on the "Most Popular" list.

A couple of things I learned-the voice option that is given when you sign up only works in the US, Canada, and the UK, so it is not possible to make cell phone calls using this plan.  Also, because this is not for cell phone use, as an iPhone user I could not send or receive text messages from non-iPhone numbers.  That's okay with communicating with friends who have Android phones, but if you need to sign up for services like Whatsapp or Gett Taxi that send you a confirmation text message, there is no way to receive them, so be sure you sign up with those apps and services before you leave your country.  That is also an issue if you have to log in to a bank or some other site on the web that sends a confirmation text to your personal phone number.

While in these ports, I was able to access 5G in all to varying degrees and with full 5G signal, the service was very very fast.  The main reason why I went this route was to be able to access Maps on my iPhone 13 Mini.  THAT was invaluable and allowed me to find a couple of record stores, as well as other places and get directions with buses and trains.  Sending photos via iMessage was very nice, but not necessary, really.  The Maps for directions and transit routes was really the biggest plus.

As for using wifi in a cafe, if you aren't already using a VPN, it would be best to look into using one to help protect your phone while using public wifi.

Dave

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

OK; this may be a very stupid question but are the Airalo GB's each day or the full month (or time) that you are using the card?  If this was answered before & I missed it, my apologies.  Thank you for your help. 

You purchase X GB valid for a period of time (7 days, 30 days, etc). If you are about to use up all your data or run out of time, you can usually buy one of a number of top up packages (often the same as the options available originally).

I find their offerings so inexpensive that I usually buy more than I need - likely their nefarious plan in the first place! 🍺🥌

• Like 1