What is your solution to overpacking?

spleenstomper

3 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Ok thank you all. I’m going to start this edit by removing one pair of boots. Which would you keep (obviously late season, rain forecasted)? I have no excursions booked yet because I just booked this cruise!

On the left, lighter but less waterproof (more like weather proof maybe)

on the right, heavier but 100% waterproof with a fuzzy lining inside, 

thanks!

8DBECCE0-F787-4738-8F77-84B269C09BED.jpeg

Which is more comfortable? Which do you prefer to wear? If both are functional then go for comfort.

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Just to be clear for the OP: no HAL ship has self-operated laundry or dryers anymore. but they do have usually-1-day turnover for ship's laundry. 

Did not notice this was on HAL.

OK scratch the laundry, but there was a clothes line in the shower when I was on the Eurodam last week

12 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Ok thank you all. I’m going to start this edit by removing one pair of boots. Which would you keep (obviously late season, rain forecasted)? I have no excursions booked yet because I just booked this cruise!

On the left, lighter but less waterproof (more like weather proof maybe)

on the right, heavier but 100% waterproof with a fuzzy lining inside, 

thanks!

8DBECCE0-F787-4738-8F77-84B269C09BED.jpeg

What kind of excursion(s) are you planning to do?

I feel your pain! I too have the over-packer syndrome.

For the boots, which feels better for walking around in? You'll more likely be walking in them than being rained on. I've also used waterproofing spray on leather sneakers.

We've been several times to Alaska. Got poured on during a dog sled ride. Next times, we brought the rubber rain suits. We've not had to use them. It's hit or miss. Maybe an umbrella would do? (Not for the dog sled ride though!)

Take half the regular clothes & do laundry once. No one will notice if you wear the same thing every day.  I've bought that same jacket in Ketchikan mentioned above. Love it - fleece lined and waterproof outer layer. I do wear the hat and gloves during the glacier viewing: as a photographer, I have gloves that let my fingers out to operate the camera.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I guess I’m taking the timberlands on the left. Ok, now I need to do the entire rest of the suitcase lol 

Look at it this way any empty space in your suitcase can be filled by souvenirs on the way home.

19 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I’m not going to land on the glacier. If I do any excursions, it will be boaty things or nature center things or walk around town and shop things. Nothing strenuous or adventurous. 

I looked at your itinerary; it's a good one with Sitka! Sitka has the Raptor Center (rehab for eagles and owls, etc, with permanent residents that couldn't be released due to injuries) and also the Fortress of the Bear which was cooler than it sounds! We did a ship's tour that included both and also a boatride to view sea otters and other wildlife, that wound up having more and closer whale-sightings than the Juneau excursion.

At Juneau, if the weather is cooperating you can ride the tram to the top and walk around -- don't buy it from HAL ahead of time due to the weather and also the extra $$ they add! As far as the resident pod of whales nearby, research whether the whales have left for their winter home around Hawaii!

At Ketchikan, I recommend Totem Bight State Historical Park, not only for the totems and native history, but nice walking trail in the forest, where you can see bald eagles as dense as seagulls! ETA: you can get near there by public bus, or ship's tour.

At Sitka we also had time to take the port shuttle to the museum as well. I don't know how we had so much time!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

We're in Aaska on the Eurodam right now. Today in Sitka I am in shirtsleeves. Juneau was rainy. Glacier Bay was cool and overcast and Icy Strait Point was misty rain. I haven't used any heavy jackets, etc. I have my sneakers (Brooks) that I sprayed with waterproofing and a few pairs of sandals that I use for the dining room. 

Karen

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I was 100% thinking that. I might put a hurting on the wallet lol. This seems to be a good souvenir trip

Especially for jackets, sweatshirts, warm hats, etc.

Thanks for all the commentary. @luvteaching thanks, I guess I’ll put my travel puffy coat back (folds into its own pouch but still puffy)

how cold does it get when the ship is underway and where is this shop with the really great  jackets everyone mentioned? Lol 

Edited by spleenstomper

If your ship goes to glacier bay, and you plan to be outside glacier viewing at the bow, bring the puffy coat. Does it compress? I have one that will compress into a ziplock freezer bag if I sit on it 😃. I needed it last week as well as my hat and gloves. If it all fits in your suitcase and you’re not over the weight limit, than who cares.

• Like 3

We don't have one. Its always a problem for us, especially as we tend to do longer cruises and the DW has foot issues which require her to take quite a few pairs of shoes. I can get by with 3 or 4 pairs (Dress, sturdy walking boots, 1 walking shoe & sandals), but she needs more. Its also some of the ancillary stuff that we us (clocks, electronic stuff, magnetic hooks, etc.) that always seems to take up 10 pounds or so of space. Thanks goodness we either fly business class or on the airlines I have status, so we don't need to worry about bag count and weights. 

Another issue we often encounter is that we go through multiple climates during our longer cruises. For example, we recently completed a 3 week trip from New York that included Atlantic Canada and Greenland. Had to deal with 80's at the beginning, moving to low 40's in Greenland and even chillier on the various open boat trips we took in Greenland. Same thing for our return to Antarctica in January, it will be shorts and t-shirts for the beginning and end, but really need to bundle up to spend 6+ hours out on open deck for the 3-4 days off the Palmer Archipelago. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 4

I was on a 7-night Alaska cruise last month and we had 1 day it was rainy, more of mist than hard rain, and not even all day. I didn't use an umbrella or rain jacket. Two sweatshirts, 1 pair jeans, 2 pair shoes and dinner wear. All in one carry-on size suitcase. 

All depends on what you want to lug around in the airport and how stressed you are about having the "right" outfits.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

If your ship goes to glacier bay, and you plan to be outside glacier viewing at the bow, bring the puffy coat. Does it compress? I have one that will compress into a ziplock freezer bag if I sit on it 😃. I needed it last week as well as my hat and gloves. If it all fits in your suitcase and you’re not over the weight limit, than who cares.

Ok I’ll put it back in, yes, it’s about the size of a gallon zip lock bag. Viewing the glacier is why I packed it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We just take 4 sets of clothes and use HAL laundry.  Carry on bag each and we are done.  

Not understanding the need to haul so much luggage around.  Luggage is expensive to fly with and a hassle to lug around.  

And the business case for HAL's unlimited laundry service wins every time!

Stop talking sense, please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

What is "overpacking"? Just a stupid term to make you nervous or even feel guilty.

Just take all you want or think you might need.

Love this ❤️.  I would never be so judgemental to say what someone needs or doesn’t need.  Pack what makes you happy.  I’ve never paid for luggage overages but it’s close to 50.  I like to have nice things to wear just as I do at home.  I get free laundry but that doesn’t enter into the equation.  I end up hand washing a number of items anyway.  

I hope you have a lovely cruise Op.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Love this ❤️.  I would never be so judgemental to say what someone needs or doesn’t need.  Pack what makes you happy.  I’ve never paid for luggage overages but it’s close to 50.  I like to have nice things to wear just as I do at home.  I get free laundry but that doesn’t enter into the equation.  I end up hand washing a number of items anyway.  

I hope you have a lovely cruise Op.

Thank you, and to be fair, I did ask how to solve this.  I do think I have a problem, but like you alluded to, I do like choices.  @carlmm does have a good point.

• Like 1

Just now, spleenstomper said:

Thank you, and to be fair, I did ask how to solve this.  I do think I have a problem, but like you alluded to, I do like choices.  @carlmm does have a good point.

Yes but helpful responses instead of saying you have a problem or don’t need it aren’t helpful, at least not to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I did two Alaska cruises this year.  On my first my suitcase weighed 42 lbs.  On my second I only took the things I actually used on the first and it was 26 lbs.  Still have everything I needed.