What is going on with the Diamond Princess?

4x4bob

We were one of the lucky ones that received the infamous cruise cancellation letter from Princess for our Nov Cruise on the Diamond.  So, we jumped on a Jan 29 2023 cruise to the same destinations on the Diamond. 

Just for fun yesterday I checked to see how many cabins have sold.  Out of 1,337 available, I counted 303 sold.  Then I looked at the chart I had made as I collected the data.

The Balcony Cabins are selling the best with 201 sold out of 240.

The next best is Mini Suite's with 46 sold out of 112.

Then here are a bunch of cabins listed as Not Available???

Ocean View: Aft, Mid Aft, and Mid Ship.

Ocean View Prem: Aft, Mid Aft, Mid Forward. Forward decks 5-8 Sold out. A few available on decks 10 and 11.

Balcony Prem: Mid Ship, Forward.

Mini Suite: Mid Ship.

Vista Suite: Deck 10.

Premium Suite: Aft, Mid Aft, and Mid ship.

Pent House Suite: Aft, Mid Aft, and Forward. 

This really surprised me.  Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Bob

7 hours ago, GTVCRUISER said:

That is why they cancelled the 3 cruises not enough workers , I am booked on the Diamond Jan. 22, 2023 , I hope they  have more help by then 

I really, really, really hope your cruise goes off without a hitch.  You want to know why?  I am on her the 29 Jan, 2023.  😀

• Like 1

I think the big problem for the Diamond's restart is the question of the Asian season starting in February, Japan has yet to rescind their covid restrictions for cruise ships, and are currently still limiting total international visitors to 10,000 a day and continue to require US citizens to apply for visa's before arrival. ( first time since WWII visa requirement for US citizens ) 

This leaves open the possibility that the Diamond's 2023 Asian season will be canceled, and require redeployment or major schedule changes, Princess maybe holding off the restart as long as possible until that picture become more clear. 

Think: why struggle to staff a ship in these trying times of staff shortages when the ships schedule is still up in the air, and reschedules and cancellations are still a real possibility

• Like 1

We also had our September 11 cruise canceled…..I was wondering why it showed the ship in Mexico.  Princess canceled us with so little time to find another princess cruise for that time of year we ended up booking a cruise on HAL.   Loyal princess cruisers but they left us with no other options.  Fortunately another couple that we’ve cruised with for many years are also on that cruise.

I had a Diamond cruise out of SD cancelled this year (second cancel thus year).  I’m booked on Sapphire in a few weeks.  I’m wondering if they’re keeping blocks of cabins unavailable for Covid quarantine?  I looked at a few December cruises and noticed some blocks completely unavailable while there was plenty of availability elsewhere.

For those of you wondering about the Diamond Princess. I just saw it leave port in PV. I knew it was moored here for while. Heard a ship horn going and it was sailing. Not sure what that means though.

Ship tracking shows it’s heading to L.A.

Dave

Edited by SpokaneDave
  • Like 1

Just now, SpokaneDave said:

For those of you wondering about the Diamond Princess. I just saw it leave port in PV. I knew it was moored for while. Heard a ship horn going and it was sailing. Not sure what that means though.

Dave

Camera still says “alongside”, but it is not.  It may just be temporary to let other ships dock, or it may be on its way somewhere.

8 minutes ago, blizzard44ca said:

Camera still says “alongside”, but it is not.  It may just be temporary to let other ships dock, or it may be on its way somewhere.

Not sure. I see it’s butt end right now and it doesn’t look like it’s stopping. 🙂

• Like 1

Tracker shows it going in circle out of PV at 11 knots. When the Diamond was in Japan quarantine in 2020, all ships have to regenerate the sea water for the power plants on board and usually return to some port for parking awhile. I am on the 20 day Diamond Princess 11/27 this year, so, tracking it regularly is taking up most of my retired life while waiting to board. https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9228198 Just my opinion, but, the timing of the Diamond Princess documentary on Peacock coincides with it being on low profile status for a while, while not being embraced by the passengers or crew in this film.