Tips

jeanneful

31 minutes ago, desibee said:

Is it expected to tip bartenders separately and above what you’ve already included in prepaid gratuities?  I thought the whole point of prepaying gratuities was so you wouldn’t have to worry about constantly having cash on hand during your vacation to tip with or being stuck with a bill after the cruise has ended?  Am I wrong?

When you say "prepaid gratuities" are you referring to the ad on 18% when you buy a drinks package or the daily tips for staff added to your account daily for the voyage on a whole?

1 minute ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Wait. Any of the 3 beverage packages includes tips right? I'm a little confused now? Lol.

You are right, they all include tips, 18%.  My point is that if you don't have a "plan" and you are paying/buying your drinks (alcohol or not) individually, the 18% is added on to that drink that isn't part of a "plan'.

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You are right, they all include tips, 18%.  My point is that if you don't have a "plan" and you are paying/buying your drinks (alcohol or not) individually, the 18% is added on to that drink that isn't part of a "plan'.

Oh, yeah ok. That much I got. Lol. I must be getting tired. 

54 minutes ago, desibee said:

So because it’s added automatically it somehow is not a tip anymore?  Restaurants where I come from will add an 18% gratuity to large tables but you aren’t expected to tip on top of that automatic gratuity.

You aren’t expected to tip above the 18% on the bar bill either 

39 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

When you say "prepaid gratuities" are you referring to the ad on 18% when you buy a drinks package or the daily tips for staff added to your account daily for the voyage on a whole?

I meant when you buy a drink package but I think you do end up paying an automatic 18% gratuity whether you are on a package or not for your drinks, although that isn’t prepaid.

6 minutes ago, desibee said:

I meant when you buy a drink package but I think you do end up paying an automatic 18% gratuity whether you are on a package or not for your drinks, although that isn’t prepaid.

No not with a package. 18% is added to your total cost before you check out and pay for your package. 

20 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

No not with a package. 18% is added to your total cost before you check out and pay for your package. 

….yes?  I would consider that “with a package” if it’s literally….added…to your package.

We have ALWAYS paid cash besides the daily gratuities.  BUT, we DID NOT pay cash to our stateroom attendant on one of our cruises.  This was before COVID-19. I was having stomach issues due to my medication and stayed in our room.  When the attendant came to clean the room, she told me that I had to leave the room while she cleaned.  She would not allow me to remain in the room while she did her job.  We didn’t deduct any portion of the stateroom gratuity because we didn’t want her co-workers to suffer the loss.  But she never got any additional cash from us.  Apparently, the workers now expect that they’ll automatically get cash because of the envelopes given at the end of the cruise.  I’m now curious to know what percentage of the passengers give cash in addition to the daily gratuities.  Anyone know?

4 minutes ago, iuki said:

We have ALWAYS paid cash besides the daily gratuities.  BUT, we DID NOT pay cash to our stateroom attendant on one of our cruises.  This was before COVID-19. I was having stomach issues due to my medication and stayed in our room.  When the attendant came to clean the room, she told me that I had to leave the room while she cleaned.  She would not allow me to remain in the room while she did her job.  We didn’t deduct any portion of the stateroom gratuity because we didn’t want her co-workers to suffer the loss.  But she never got any additional cash from us.  Apparently, the workers now expect that they’ll automatically get cash because of the envelopes given at the end of the cruise.  I’m now curious to know what percentage of the passengers give cash in addition to the daily gratuities.  Anyone know?

Sometimes we do, and sometimes we don't. If they were good, and did their job adequately, we may leave an extra 10-20 dollars. If I am asking about toiletries, and he keeps thinking I am talking about the toilet...we don't. :classic_rolleyes: And is marginal. 

On 9/16/2022 at 7:05 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I will not, however, participate in a scheme that uses the laundry staff and the dishwashers as a “guilt pawn”. They get paid well to wash dishes and laundry, nothing more. 

So, will you be applying for a job as a dishwasher since they are paid so well, according to you?

11 minutes ago, yogimax said:

So, will you be applying for a job as a dishwasher since they are paid so well, according to you?

Cruise lines are billion dollars businesses.  If positions are not well paid, then the blame is on Royal Caribbean for not offering livable wages is it not?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, desibee said:

Cruise lines are billion dollars businesses.  If positions are not well paid, then the blame is on Royal Caribbean for not offering livable wages is it not?

You are absolutely right, and contrary to the belief of many on these boards the staff are paid a living wage. The problem is, these same folks don’t understand that “living wage” is country dependent, the living wage for a Filipino citizen is different than a North American or Western European. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

If a service doesn't directly provide a face to face or behind the scenes service/support of a face to face service provider, don't include it into the TIPing system.  

For example:  If you don't use the laundry service, why should your TIP money go to the laundry service that you don't use. 

Forgive me, but don't you sleep on sheets and pillow cases (changed every few days by your room steward), use tablecloths and napkins in the restaurants placed there by your wait staff, etc... I see the laundry the same as cooks and dishwashers.  in fact, I would be hard pressed to name a service that included in the behind the scenes tip pool that does not provide a service or support of a face to face service.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Please #3 below.  A cabin, even on a ship, that has multiple rooms but form a single unit can be referred to as a "suite" even a Jr Suite, although loosely defined as a suite only because there aren't physical walls differentiating the living room from the bedroom, et al:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/suite

"suite

(swēt)

n.
1. A staff of attendants or followers; a retinue.
a. A group of related things intended to be used together; a set.
b. (also so͞ot) A set of matching furniture: a dining room suite.
3. A series of connected rooms, as in a hotel or office building, used as a single
unit".

The definition doesn't mention anything about how nice or big the unit is or isn't.  I actually don't have a problem with a Jr Suite being called a Jr Suite.  Although I wouldn't book one, the lack of suite amenities isn't attractive to me.  
YMMV

By that definition, an inside cabin is a suite - it has a sleeping room and a bathroom and they are connected and used as a single unit.  So maybe RCCL needs to rename their rooms: Inside Suite, Ocean View Suite, Balcony Suite, Junior Suite, Grand Suite, etc.  Oh, and let's not forget the COVID Quarantine Suites!  😜

Edited by rudeney

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

By that definition, an inside cabin is a suite - it has a sleeping room and a bathroom and they are connected and used as a single unit.  So maybe RCCL needs to rename their rooms: Inside Suite, Ocean View Suite, Balcony Suite, Junior Suite, Grand Suite, etc.  Oh, and let's not forget the COVID Quarantine Suites!  😜

LOL.  But, that isn't what they call them.  It's their option.  They can call their Cabins what ever they want to.  A definition isn't a law.  But by law I don't think they are false advertising base upon the definition. Otherwise, you are right, they can call the engine room a suite, if they want to.  Hell, a restroom with several stalls could be called a suite.  Some/most hospitals call their operating rooms, suites.  I've also seen auto repair shops called suites. 

This is all too funny! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desibee said:

Yes, when you buy a drink package, an 18% gratuity is either added to or included in the price.  You are under no obligation to tip anything additional when ordering a drink that is within the limits of the package.  If you order a drink that is not included, or exceeds the value of what is covered by your package, you will pay 18% of whatever that additional charge is.  Note that some people choose to tip extra. Those include people who have a drink package and those who pay per-drink.  It's totally up to the customer.

1 hour ago, desibee said:

When I am concerned that a company is mistreating its employees or doing something I disagree with, I vote with my dollars.  

53 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Forgive me, but don't you sleep on sheets and pillow cases (changed every few days by your room steward), use tablecloths and napkins in the restaurants placed there by your wait staff, etc... I see the laundry the same as cooks and dishwashers.  in fact, I would be hard pressed to name a service that included in the behind the scenes tip pool that does not provide a service or support of a face to face service.  

I did mention the face to face support crew/staff.  However, you are right, I didn't think about towels, sheets, napkins, etc.  But, there is a big difference between a cook/chef as far as salary is concerned and the salary of a dishwasher.  No, I don't think a cook/chef deserves any of my TIP money, I'm sure they are well paid.  I'm trying to look out for the little guy, especially those from 3rd world countries and they send almost every penny to support their family, sometimes extended family.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Clean linens and dishes are the bare minimum included in my cruise fare; it is not worth  a gratuity unless they find a way to give me an extra clean plate or ultra sanitized sheets. Gratuities are for above and beyond, not bare minimum. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I did mention the face to face support crew/staff.  However, you are right, I didn't think about towels, sheets, napkins, etc.  But, there is a big difference between a cook/chef as far as salary is concerned and the salary of a dishwasher.  No, I don't think a cook/chef deserves any of my TIP money, I'm sure they are well paid.  I'm trying to look out for the little guy, especially those from 3rd world countries and they send almost every penny to support their family, sometimes extended family.  

The little guy’s guaranteed salary is protected by international convention, they are being well taken care of.