Typhoon Merbok-Alaska cruise

Calli50

Just read the remnants of Typhoon Merdok could be hitting Alaska.. high winds flooding. Read it could be the worse storm since 2011. Not to be selfish, but anybody know how past big storms have affected cruises? I leave on the Encore the 25th. Obviously I hope everyone there is ok first and foremost.

From what I am reading from the Weather Service, the storm is projected to be North of where most of the cruise ships would be.  Exception would be those sailing into and out Seward.

Ports of call South of Seward could get some wind and rain-- typical Fall storm system.  Rough ride for a few hours.

• Like 1

First and foremost, NCL does not cancel cruises. Unless the embarkation port is closed for a protracted period of time, the cruise will sail. "Hitting Alaska" is a broad statement with hundreds and hundreds of miles of coastline... like saying "hitting the West Coast" of the US. Some places will get a lot of wind (rough seas) and rain. Most will not. Ships avoid sailing directly through large storms. Cruise ports economy is based on having cruise ships call there, so unless there is damage to the docks (Skagway), they will receive the ships. 

On 9/15/2022 at 8:52 PM, Calli50 said:

Just read the remnants of Typhoon Merdok could be hitting Alaska.. high winds flooding. Read it could be the worse storm since 2011. Not to be selfish, but anybody know how past big storms have affected cruises? I leave on the Encore the 25th. Obviously I hope everyone there is ok first and foremost.

Was on a cruise crossing the Gulf of Alaska towards the main land. Ship was hit by the tail end of a typhoon. Heavy, heavy winds and 60 foot seas. Thankfully the typhoon was aft of the ship ‘pushing’ it along. Two thirds of the passengers stayed in their cabins. The dining room was almost deserted. Just a few of us hardy souls. All activities were cancelled until the weather moderated. It was quite an experience but not one for which I would volunteer.