TV on Island Princess, HDMI??

West Coast Gal

1 hour ago, West Coast Gal said:

Can you hook your computer up to the TVs on the Island Princess with a HDMI cable?

This information may be more useful than some other responses. Search failed to yield a specific to Island Princess answer.

"From a previous thread....

1.    Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.

2.    Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

3.    Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly).

4.    Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device."

Turning off the TV when finished, reset it to the original input when turned back on."

I would not count on it.  Before the pandemic this used to be a popular topic of discussion with lots of people weighing in on "how to do it".  Of course, they were giving very specific info for their particular ship, their particular cabin and their particular TV.  While there are at least "fair" odds that the same ship may have the same TV throughout, the odds of all ships having the same TV are slim to none!  And...there's a very good chance that many TVs have been swapped out during the shutdown.  Don't be disappointed if you cannot do anything with your given setup.  Many of the TVs are hard mounted to the cabin wall now and pretty much impossible to get to the ports.

We find it just as easy to download any shows to our surface pro (2lbs), along with an installed Roku and FUBOTv app and pair it with a Samsung Freestyle projector.  We've used this setup to preload movies/tv and stream hockey/NFL games when the shipboard internet is working well.  Super lightweight and easy to transport.

While I'm not certain that the system on the Island is the same as the other ships I would still bet on the above instructions being likely to work. It has more to do with switching their system to the HDMI input than the type of TV on any particular ship. 

While it might be very difficult to get an HDMI cable plugged into the wall mounted TV, is is doable if you have small hands.

Let us know how it works out for you. 

@MissP22 "While I'm not certain that the system on the Island is the same as the other ships I would still bet on the above instructions being likely to work. It has more to do with switching their system to the HDMI input than the type of TV on any particular ship. "

It is the same as the other ships.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Loveh2ofl said:

@MissP22 "While I'm not certain that the system on the Island is the same as the other ships I would still bet on the above instructions being likely to work. It has more to do with switching their system to the HDMI input than the type of TV on any particular ship. "

It is the same as the other ships.

Talking to my husband last night about the HDMI situation on wall mounted TV's, he was tinkering around & came up with an extension holder for the end of the HDMI cable to plug it into the socket.

This way I won't be forced to have to be the one to squeeze my smaller hand behind the TV.😊 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Talking to my husband last night about the HDMI situation on wall mounted TV's, he was tinkering around & came up with an extension holder for the end of the HDMI cable to plug it into the socket.

This way I won't be forced to have to be the one to squeeze my smaller hand behind the TV.😊 

Sounds like a business opportunity. Not just for cruise ship passengers but for hotel guests and anyone at home who has mounted a TV and subsequently realized they want to add more cables.

1 hour ago, West Coast Gal said:

Great reading, thank you for sharing . . . . So we will be in a mini suite, which has 2 TVs and they are on a diagonal instead of flush mounted to the wall,

The photos are not accurate - on the last two ships we were on we were in mini-suites and they ARE flush mounted to the wall

56 minutes ago, Loveh2ofl said:

The photos are not accurate - on the last two ships we were on we were in mini-suites and they ARE flush mounted to the wall

What one now gets is a two-sided top shelf with extra outlets where the old tvs were - see the image - the 2nd tv is flush mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed:

IslMinB20-76670-1581401743.jpg

• Thanks 1