Noise from connecting cabins on Virtuosa?

Ergates The Ant

2 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Anyone have any experience of this? Wouldn’t usually book a connecting cabin, but not much choice where I want to be, deck wise. Thanks.

We had a connecting door, last minute booking so we had to take what we could get. 

I can honestly say I never heard a thing from our neighbours. We had two nice young lads (in their 20s/early 30s) next door and spoke to them across the balcony but never heard a peep from them through the cabin. 

We’ve had connecting doors several times as those cabins are often the last to be sold. Can honestly say we’ve never had a problem, in fact we’ve had louder neighbours when the cabins have not been connected. When they are, I think pax are probably more aware of the potential for sound to travel and therefore try to keep noise to a minimum.

7 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Anyone have any experience of this? Wouldn’t usually book a connecting cabin, but not much choice where I want to be, deck wise. Thanks.

Yes but differently.

We are night owls and we go to bed between 2-4am after enjoying the beverage package.

Our neighbors complained to us that we we're interfering with their sleeping with our TV on or sitting out on the balcony or even opening and closing the balcony door. They say it's through the connecting door.

We use room service and such until the wee hours, and have the butler's get us stuff.

There are only a couple of connecting cabins in yacht club and we usually end up in one.

23 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Our neighbors complained to us that we we're interfering with their sleeping with our TV on or sitting out on the balcony or even opening and closing the balcony door. They say it's through the connecting door.

Out of interest, did your neighbours seek assistance from guest services or security, and what was the response?

57 minutes ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Out of interest, did your neighbours seek assistance from guest services or security, and what was the response?

YC concierge actually. We were spoken to but I immediately pointed out that we booked the end cabin and MSC changed my cabin and they put us in an adjoining. Stupid!

I also pointed out that Butler service is 24 hours and 45 minutes to get a request is unreasonable. Going in and out of a balcony at 3am is no different than someone at 6am. We just operate on different times.

In the end, nothing really changed or happened. They did give us a second bucket of ice and a second bottle of booze as well as a variety of canapes each evening at turn down.

18 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

YC concierge actually. We were spoken to but I immediately pointed out that we booked the end cabin and MSC changed my cabin and they put us in an adjoining. Stupid!

I also pointed out that Butler service is 24 hours and 45 minutes to get a request is unreasonable. Going in and out of a balcony at 3am is no different than someone at 6am. We just operate on different times.

In the end, nothing really changed or happened. They did give us a second bucket of ice and a second bottle of booze as well as a variety of canapes each evening at turn down.

I think if I had been your neighbours I would have  returned the favour at 7am😀

Did they give your long suffering neighbours anything that you know of?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think if I had been your neighbours I would have  returned the favour at 7am😀

Did they give your long suffering neighbours anything that you know of?

They did start moving around at 6am, especially out on the balcony.

I don't think they gave them anything but what they gave us was so we wouldn't keep calling at 3am.

24 hour Butler service my arse! 45 minutes to get ice? Snacks almost an hour?

Oh dear. Certainly has put me off booking a connecting cabin. Would be truly horrid to be stuck next door to a bunch of drunks with no manners and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

I suppose of course it wouldn’t be much fun to be next to me in these circumstances, as I would certainly be up and active at 6 am. And if I was woken at 4 am, I’d probably need to watch the tv for a couple of hours until I could get back to sleep myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This reviewer also confirms that there's some noise coming from neighbors in the connecting room, but seems to say that the shows immediately below them in the Carousel Lounge were much louder than any noise coming from the neighbors: 

8 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Oh dear. Certainly has put me off booking a connecting cabin. Would be truly horrid to be stuck next door to a bunch of drunks with no manners and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

I suppose of course it wouldn’t be much fun to be next to me in these circumstances, as I would certainly be up and active at 6 am. And if I was woken at 4 am, I’d probably need to watch the tv for a couple of hours until I could get back to sleep myself.

What you might not be factoring in for this particular sailing is we boarded with a 6 hour time change.  So at 3am, our bodies think it's 9pm.

No manners,how so?

Overinflated sense of entitlement,how so? 

It clearly states 24 hour Butler service, no mention of limited hours.

We do not use the butler in the morning as we are not up till 10 or 11.

We were not intentionally being loud or anything. We can't keep the balcony door open as it makes an awful vibration noise at the other door.

Again, we booked the end cabin and MSC moved us.

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2022 at 1:27 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

What you might not be factoring in for this particular sailing is we boarded with a 6 hour time change.  So at 3am, our bodies think it's 9pm.

No manners,how so?

Overinflated sense of entitlement,how so? 

It clearly states 24 hour Butler service, no mention of limited hours.

We do not use the butler in the morning as we are not up till 10 or 11.

We were not intentionally being loud or anything. We can't keep the balcony door open as it makes an awful vibration noise at the other door.

Again, we booked the end cabin and MSC moved us.

Years ago I had to start sleeping with ear plugs because DH snores like a freight train.  The ear plugs have a noise reduction factor by 33 decibels (available at Walmart) and have been a life changer.  As such, I NEVER hear a thing on a cruise ship where living in close quarters with random strangers is bound to produce noise.