NZ cruise and weather

Ellen495

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And if you are interested in rare native NZ birds I highly recommend a trip to Tiri Tiri Matangi, an island that is a bird sanctuary.

Yes, the birds feel so safe on their island sanctuary that they are comfortable around people, you just stop or sit on one of the benches for a few moments and they happily come incredibly close. There's a lighthouse on the island and, of course, the ubiquitous elevated vantage point incredible view to enjoy 😉 

32 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Yes, the birds feel so safe on their island sanctuary that they are comfortable around people, you just stop or sit on one of the benches for a few moments and they happily come incredibly close. There's a lighthouse on the island and, of course, the ubiquitous elevated vantage point incredible view to enjoy 😉 

Sounds wonderful  How do you get there from Auckland?

Hi again and thanks for such great replies.

We are rethinking - looking into other cruise lines rather than HAL where we won't have to sail from Australia (wasted time at sea) and get into smaller ports. I'm feeling overwhelmed at the idea of 3 weeks in Australia, a week by land NZ and then 2 weeks cruise. I'm feeling that we should do EITHER land in NZ no cruise or only a cruise no land...................

On 9/27/2022 at 6:14 AM, Ellen495 said:

Hi again and thanks for such great replies.

We are rethinking - looking into other cruise lines rather than HAL where we won't have to sail from Australia (wasted time at sea) and get into smaller ports. I'm feeling overwhelmed at the idea of 3 weeks in Australia, a week by land NZ and then 2 weeks cruise. I'm feeling that we should do EITHER land in NZ no cruise or only a cruise no land...................

Land in NZ is definitely the best to see the country and to meet Kiwis.  Distances are short for driving!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

Where do you see the kiwis?

I am pretty sure that MMDown Under meant the New Zealand people who are referred to as Kiwis. The birds are nocturnal so you can really only see them in a wildlife facility. One place is the hot springs park at Rotorua. They have a nocturnal house where you will see kiwis.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am pretty sure that MMDown Under meant the New Zealand people who are referred to as Kiwis. The birds are nocturnal so you can really only see them in a wildlife facility. One place is the hot springs park at Rotorua. They have a nocturnal house where you will see kiwis.

yes and we are Aussies.  Some Aussies used to call you Yanks, but not sure if that is politically correct these days.