Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Parking

SenecaMike

On 9/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, SenecaMike said:

We are departing on the Enchanted Princess on Oct. 22nd from the Brooklyn Terminal.  Looking for information on the parking at the terminal.  Is it secure and safe?  Best time to arrive? Thanks for your thought.

We're parked there right now, having boarded the Enchanted Princess on 9/17. The actual parking lot is a bit hard to find, as directions from the port entrance are not clearly marked. Once you find the terminal just drive around past it and head towards the actual parking lot. Around 9AM the terminal area was pandemonium with the disembarking pax, buses etc. Once you try to enter the parking area, you should be stopped by the parking lot owners who were sitting in their cars stopping cars as they entered. You pay in advance and they give you your ticket, so that when you leave, you just drive away. The parking lot is VERY close to the ship, but I can't speak to its level of security.

The question asked concerned two issues relating to the Brooklyn Cruise Port parking lot: security and safety.

As to security, perhaps one of the best tools to use is the New York Police Department's CompStat tool. http://compstat.nypdonline.org Using this tool one can see where reported crimes in several categories have occurred. The tool shows crime up significantly within New York City overall, in the year 2022 compared to the year 2021. As to the Brooklyn Cruise Port itself, there are no CompStat crimes pinpointed to the Brooklyn Cruise Port particularly; there are crimes in the surrounding area, but seemingly no more concentrated in the area immediately surrounding the Brooklyn Cruise Port compared to Red Hook and South Brooklyn generally. But by reviewing the CompStat site directly, you might be the best judge for determining if the area is secure enough.

As to safety, the Brooklyn Cruise Port is fairly new, and when I have been there the pavement has been well-maintained and without potholes. Driving in the parking lot should be safe with little risk of injury. Once parked, and having to walk to the passenger terminal, again the infrastructure is fairly new and well maintained. Obviously, there is always the chance that one will trip, fall, and injure oneself, but my subjective view is that the risk of injury from the physical condition of the parking lot is no greater than elsewhere in New York City. Of course, this is a transportation facility, where motorists and pedestrians come into conflict, and attentions may be diverted. As is the case at other transportation facilities, such as roadways at airports, there is safety risk imposed by motorists. But again, however, I don't see the driving at the Brooklyn Cruise Port parking lot to be less safe than any other transportation facility.

In sum, I do not see any issues with the Brooklyn Cruise Port parking lot as being either less secure or less safe than as one would ordinarily anticipate.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:16 AM, lx200gps said:

We're parked there right now, having boarded the Enchanted Princess on 9/17. The actual parking lot is a bit hard to find, as directions from the port entrance are not clearly marked. Once you find the terminal just drive around past it and head towards the actual parking lot. Around 9AM the terminal area was pandemonium with the disembarking pax, buses etc. Once you try to enter the parking area, you should be stopped by the parking lot owners who were sitting in their cars stopping cars as they entered. You pay in advance and they give you your ticket, so that when you leave, you just drive away. The parking lot is VERY close to the ship, but I can't speak to its level of security.

The port guide says that the charge to park is $30 per day, is there tax added to that?

Edited by Doug R.