Sushi on Five menu

patty1955

13 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

We tried the fresh wasabi on our cruise. It's very good, but I thought it was sweet rather than spicy.

As it should be, the fake version usually uses horseradish and mustard and will generate that burning sensation up through your sinuses, the real one is softer and actually has flavour not heat.

8 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

As it should be, the fake version usually uses horseradish and mustard and will generate that burning sensation up through your sinuses, the real one is softer and actually has flavour not heat.

I'm aware of that. That's why we use either the real stuff in a tube or make our own from powder.

2 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I'm aware of that. That's why we use either the real stuff in a tube or make our own from powder.

As long as you enjoy what you are eating, it is all good of course.

Generally though the powder versions have wasabi as the last ingredient on the list and will primarily use horseradish, and will taste like the typical restaurant product.

It is good that we have the option on the ship to get the real thing.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 16-56-27 Wasabi Powder 30g.png

11 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

As long as you enjoy what you are eating, it is all good of course.

Generally though the powder versions have wasabi as the last ingredient on the list and will primarily use horseradish, and will taste like the typical restaurant product.

It is good that we have the option on the ship to get the real thing.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 16-56-27 Wasabi Powder 30g.png

Wow, reading the label! I never thought of that.

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

I'm attaching pictures from Sushi on Five. We tried 2 kinds of ramen, nigiri, a hot pot and gyozas. They  were all good but the hot pot was probably the best thing we ate on the whole cruise

PXL_20221018_213451945.jpg

PXL_20221026_163806940.jpg

PXL_20221026_163811412.jpg

PXL_20221026_165208311.jpg

PXL_20221026_165215430.jpg

Was one of these a picture of the hotpot?  It doesn’t look like it.  My husband likes to make his own ramen.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, patty1955 said:

While it is wasabi paste, I would not call what comes out of the squeeze tube 'real wasabi." 

The fresh root is too expensive for us to use so we get the powder.  You would be surprised at the flavor difference between the power and the stuff that comes out of a squeeze tube. 

And, as others here have said, the fresh from the root is very flavorful and I do not mean hot flavorful.  

34 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

The second one is the hot pot. It doesn't look like on but it's very good.

Interesting.  I have had hot pot but it's always been a Korean dish served in a cast iron pot, thus hot pot.   

23 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

What does it taste like? And do you use it/eat in the same way as the typical green wasabi you get with sushi in any restaurant? 

Yes it is a bit milder - since the “fake” wasabi is kind of just green horseradish. We used it in the same way. 

• Thanks 1