Larger Balconies On Iona

daveoc

I understand that some of the standard (not superior/conservatory) balcony cabins on Iona have much larger balconies. Is this correct and, if so, can anyone advise what their numbers are and if there are any drawbacks with them. Many thanks.

Hello.  I have one of these booked on Arvia (identical to Iona).  It is a so called bulk standard balcony cabin on a hump number 12255.  The balcony is described as overlooked because it faces sideways rather than directly out.  The balcony is the length of my neighbour's room so considerably larger.  Depends on your attitude to total privacy according to the P&O man who booked it for me.  It is an E grade balcony, ie second cheapest one, because it is overlooked by my neighbour and the cabin on the opposite hump (some distance away) and also mid forward.  The interior is apparently a standard size.  

Cruisemummy lists these as the cabins with the largest balconies:

9320 (sleeps 3)

10245 (sleeps 3)

10509 (sleeps 3)

10514 (sleeps 4)

11242 (sleeps 4)

11514 (accessible)

11515 (sleeps 3)

12514 (accessible)

12515 (sleeps 3)

14515 (sleeps 3)

15317 (sleeps 4)

16321 (sleeps 4)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

The biggest standard balcony on Iona and Arvia is 17219 which is twice as wide with 2 sets of balcony doors and also L shaped so you have the outer wing too. It is however classed as overlooked and shaded. I managed to book it on Arvia for next year.

With normal corner balconies I would choose one facing aft as you will get protection from wind when the ship is moving

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The biggest standard balcony on Iona and Arvia is 17219 which is twice as wide with 2 sets of balcony doors and also L shaped so you have the outer wing too. It is however classed as overlooked and shaded. I managed to book it on Arvia for next year.

With normal corner balconies I would choose one facing aft as you will get protection from wind when the ship is moving

That room looks very big.  It wasn't available on my cruise but the operator did mention it as huge if you like shade.  As I'm a frequent Britannia cruiser and avoid deck 15 like the plague he warned me off the upper two passenger decks.  It will be interesting to hear your experience and how shaded it actually is.

Edited by Megabear2

We've got one of the balconies listed in Megabear's post.  Not onboard till November, but can post thoughts on it in due course.  Provided of course we don't get moved a week before due to the C word isolation cabins!

We'd orginally booked one of the smaller balcony cabins, however decided to upgrade a few weeks ago.  When I spoke with P&O, the chap referred to the new cabin as an "extended balcony" cabin, though this terminology is not reflected on the booking confirmation.

39 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The layout is interesting, the right hand side contains the bathroom, sofa, desk, fridge etc and a TV plus balcony door. Too the left is the bed area with wardrobes and another TV plus balcony door.

There is a video here https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2843907-iona-cabin-17221/

Very unusual, certainly very different.  Looks like it's a huge balcony as well.  I look forward to hearing your experiences.

We stayed in 11515 on iona this year and really enjoyed the extra space.You can still have your privacy  by sitting back a bit and the balcony divider was opened up to my sisters cabin next door.After being in my sisters cabin awhile the normal balcony felt a bit cramped after being used to the extended one.Have booked the same style balcony for next year to the canaries.Gives you much more room if you want breakfast on your balcony. 

We just come off the Iona and had a forward facing cabin 10103 much deeper than a standard cabin.You here about there's a lot more movement at the front and rear of the ship but i couldn't tell the difference

Our friends got forced to move cabins into a disabled cabin 15307, it turns out the room and cabin is much wider .

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Iona&deck=10

Edited by nyckfocus

On 9/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, Megabear2 said:

Hello.  I have one of these booked on Arvia (identical to Iona).  It is a so called bulk standard balcony cabin on a hump number 12255.  The balcony is described as overlooked because it faces sideways rather than directly out.  The balcony is the length of my neighbour's room so considerably larger.  Depends on your attitude to total privacy according to the P&O man who booked it for me.  It is an E grade balcony, ie second cheapest one, because it is overlooked by my neighbour and the cabin on the opposite hump (some distance away) and also mid forward.  The interior is apparently a standard size.  

When I sailed on Iona last year I had one of these cabins (15514) and although you could describe it as 'overlooked' I wouldn't do so, and I would describe it as a superb balcony for the user but a terrible balcony for everyone else.

As mentioned, the balcony is crazy long and is the same length as the cabin itself - you could get 20 people out there and it wouldn't be full.

As for being overlooked, then sure if you head down to the end of the balcony then you will be overlooked - but more importantly for everyone else in the cabins heading towards the back of the ship from 15516 (15517), then you are directly overlooking them - and this isn't a peering around the side of a divider overlooking them, but directly looking at their balcony whilst you are sat in your chair enjoying the sun.

And the worst is the cabin next door, 15516 (or all the others in the same position such as 15517, 15314, 15315, 15244, 15255, and the same on every other deck), that when you are walking back from the end of your balcony to your cabin then the interior of the cabin next door is on full view - *never ever* book one of those cabins. We tried to be sensitive averting our gaze as we walked back from the end of the balcony, but still the neighbours spent a fortnight with their curtains drawn and rarely using their balcony.

However if you want privacy then with the long balcony of then just move the chairs back towards the cabin behind the divider from the next door cabin and you are back to full privacy.

These corner balcony cabins are also great because you can choose from sun or shade by moving out to the end of the balcony beyond the overhang if you want sun (all the other cabins from 15516 (and 15517) are completely shaded by the massive overhang of the deck above.

In summary, these are great cabins for the occupants, but terrible for those nearby - along with lots else on Iona and Arvia - a very poor design feature.

• Thanks 2