Book direct or through travel agent?

tiwi

6 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

TAs do hold/own blocks of cabins up until final payment. We have often cruised as part of a TAs group benefiting from the reduced rates and some freebies, but not actually being involved with or in the activities of the group.

Unsold cabins are returned to the cruise line at final payment. That is one reason you see groups of cabins become available after final payment date. 

Ta's have space, not actual cabins.  You cannot own a cabin until the full deposit is paid.

Royal will hold enough cabins back to cover the allocated group space that they have contracted out to TA's. 

That is why at 180 and  120 days prior to sailing (group checkpoints where Royal can recall unsold group space based on sales) you can see an influx of cabins.

There are many times that I am able to book clients into group space in a gty cabin for a category that is sold out, even when the entire  ship is sold out but it is Royal holding the cabins and not TA's.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, retird said:

The Canadian TAs i contacted had a number of cabins they said pre purchased for their prospective customers and they sell those first.  If not solD by a specific date before the cruise date , they are returned to the cruise line inventory of available cabins.    Actually ive had several Travel agents tell me the same thing.   So if it is not true, then i was just misinformed.

They hold space, not actual cabins and yes there are 2 checkpoints, one at 180 and the  other at 120 days to sailing. 

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ta's have fpave, not actudl cabins.  You cannot own a xzbin until tje full drpiditvis paid.

Royal will hold enough cabins back to cover the allocated group space that they have contracted out to TA's. 

That is why at 180 and  120 days prior to sailing (group checkpoints where Royal can recall unsold group space based on sales) you can see an influx of cabins.

There are many times that I am able to book clients into group space in a gty cabin for a category that is sold out, even when the entire  ship is sold out but it is Royal holding the cabins and not TA's.

Same difference. 

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Same difference. 

Not really.  If they held cabins then you could choose a specific cabin that that a TA had.  

With Royal holding them back and the category is sold out then all you can book is a gty.  It also eliminates individual TA's from holding premium cabins within a group and blocking others from being able to book them.

• Like 1

I believe, and I could be wrong, that many sales entities show things like cabins, seats, widgets as almost sold out, when in fact they aren't.  It's an attempt, that actually works, to make people make on the spot decisions.  All sales people want to make the sale NOW, not tomorrow.   Live for today, screw tomorrow.

My wife is constantly in Royal's site looking for deals and lower prices (not that that matters much anymore (lack of a good price guarantee)).  She is always telling me which Aqua Theater suites are available, like one or two, then the next day they are gone and then a day or two later a few others become available, Aqua Theater suites are just one example of many.  My take on this, as I stated above and/or/both what you guys have stated about returning cabins to inventory.

That's not to say that you @Ourusualbeach & @fredmdcruisers aren't 100% right-on with what you are passing on/experience. 

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I believe, and I could be wrong, that many sales entities show things like cabins, seats, widgets as almost sold out, when in fact they aren't.  It's an attempt, that actually works, to make people make on the spot decisions.  All sales people want to make the sale NOW, not tomorrow.   Live for today, screw tomorrow.

My wife is constantly in Royal's site looking for deals and lower prices (not that that matters much anymore (lack of a good price guarantee)).  She is always telling me which Aqua Theater suites are available, like one or two, then the next day they are gone and then a day or two later a few others become available, Aqua Theater suites are just one example of many.  My take on this, as I stated above and/or/both what you guys have stated about returning cabins to inventory.

That's not to say that you @Ourusualbeach & @fredmdcruisers aren't 100% right-on with what you are passing on/experience. 

In the case of the suites with few cabins TA's can put cabins on hold for 24 hours or in some cases up to 2 weeks.  This is very common and TA's may put an Aquatheatre suite on hold for a client on multiple sailings while the client decides on which one they want.

This is entirely different than the cabins that are held back to satisfy group requirements.

Royal will also put cabins on hold to satisfy guarantee cabins that they have sold but not yet assigned. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In the case of the suites with few cabins TA's can put cabins on hold for 24 hours or in some cases up to 2 weeks.  This is very common and TA's may put an Aquatheatre suite on hold for a client on multiple sailings while the client decides on which one they want.

This is entirely different than the cabins that are held back to satisfy group requirements.

Royal will also put cabins on hold to satisfy guarantee cabins that they have sold but not yet assigned. 

Gotchya!  But, just to be clear

27 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Not something that I have noticed in the hours per day that I am on their site.  As in my previous post cabins appearing and disappearing are easily explained by normal course of business activities.

It's s little easier for companies selling widgets.  Royal has over 40 categories on 20 plus ships with a different sailing every week.

How Royal creates its sense of urgency is with their fake sales with the threat of that 60% off the second guest ending tomorrow or next week and yes I can attest to the fact that it eorks based on the number of calls I get saying they need to book before this sale ends. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They hold space, not actual cabins and yes there are 2 checkpoints, one at 180 and the  other at 120 days to sailing. 

Well not to be argumentative, but in the two incidents I am talking about, i went on the Royal site and found the cabin i wanted and it was still available .  I then called a travel agent to book that cabin through them.   Agent said that the cabin was not available and gave me a list of same category cabins she could sell me.    I declined and then called a Royal cruise consultant and booked the cabinI originally found and that the TA said was not available.   I later did receive a call from the TA to see if i was still interested in booking. I explained what I did and she said that cabin was not in her inventory.   

5 minutes ago, retird said:

Well not to be argumentative, but in the two incidents I am talking about, i went on the Royal site and found the cabin i wanted and it was still available .  I then called a travel agent to book that cabin through them.   Agent said that the cabin was not available and gave me a list of same category cabins she could sell me.    I declined and then called a Royal cruise consultant and booked the cabinI originally found and that the TA said was not available.   I later did receive a call from the TA to see if i was still interested in booking. I explained what I did and she said that cabin was not in her inventory.   

I can tell you what probably happened there.

When you search on Royals site and select a cabin that cabin is removed from inventory for 20 to 30 minutes whether you book it or not.  Another annoying glitch in their system.

You look at it on Roysls website and then call the TA and they won't see it.  By the time you hang up and call Royal back it is back in inventory.

Happens to me all the time with clients and it's the first thing I ask them.  It just means I sit there for 20 minutes refreshing the system waiting for the cabin to show back up so I can get them the cabin they want. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Thank you. I hear what you are saying. 

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can tell you what probably happened there.

When you search on Royals site and select a cabin that cabin is removed from inventory for 20 to 30 minutes whether you book it or not.  Another annoying glitch in their system.

You look at it on Roysls website and then call the TA and they won't see it.  By the time you hang up and call Royal back it is back in inventory.

Happens to me all the time with clients and it's the first thing I ask them.  It just means I sit there for 20 minutes refreshing the system waiting for the cabin to show back up so I can get them the cabin they want. 

Where in my post did you determine i called the TA within 20 minutes of seeing the cabin on royal site.    I gather you are a TA or was.    On another occasion a few friends were planning a south pacific cruise and the agent in B.C. Had a list of cabins we could choose from in their inventory of held cabins.   Maybe your experience has been different than mine 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, retird said:

Where in my post did you determine i called the TA within 20 minutes of seeing the cabin on royal site.    I gather you are a TA or was.    On another occasion a few friends were planning a south pacific cruise and the agent in B.C. Had a list of cabins we could choose from in their inventory of held cabins.   Maybe your experience has been different than mine 

Apologies, by the way you wrote your post it was a logical conclision.  Yes I am a TA and deal with many things you are describing on a daily basis use trying to offer some insights and explanations from a different perspective. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 6:50 PM, Ret MP said:

I think you are focused on the actual cruise reservation.  I'm sure there are many situations in the middle of the night that a little help would be deeply appreciated.  Off the top of my head, you arrive at your hotel, the one the night before your cruise, at say 1:00 AM, go to check in and the desk clerk says that he/she doesn't have your reservation that was booked through your TA and the hotel is completely booked.  Your car rental is all screwed up.  And on and on.

23 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

If you knew who this TA is you would think differently. 

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Sorry, I'm not following/not sure what you're saying.  

If I’m understanding you correctly in your post you seem to imply that her TA wouldn’t help her in the middle of the night. I definitely believe he would. Not only is he a TA, but he also cruises often so has knowledge of issues that come up. I once emailed him about midnight thinking he would answer in the morning. It wasn’t anything urgent, just some questions. He answered in about 20 minutes which I completely wasn’t expecting. I’m sure a phone call would get a much quicker response and help. That is why I said if you knew who this TA was you would think differently. Since we aren’t allowed to name names that’s all I can say about him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not something that I have noticed in the hours per day that I am on their site.  As in my previous post cabins appearing and disappearing are easily explained by normal course of business activities.

It's s little easier for companies selling widgets.  Royal has over 40 categories on 20 plus ships with a different sailing every week.

How Royal creates its sense of urgency is with their fake sales with the threat of that 60% off the second guest ending tomorrow or next week and yes I can attest to the fact that it eorks based on the number of calls I get saying they need to book before this sale ends. 

Like I said, I could be wrong.  It just seems fishy to me.  When I see only two or three cabins open in a particular area of the ship, then a day or two later those are gone but several cabins that weren't available are now available, and this isn't even close to to embarkation day or final payment day.  Many times just after they open up sales for the season.  But, anything is possible and Royal is free to run its business as it sees fit, within the law, of course, and we are free to cruise with them or not.  I'm still very happy with the sailing part of the cluster  F.  

14 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

If I’m understanding you correctly in your post you seem to imply that her TA wouldn’t help her in the middle of the night. I definitely believe he would. Not only is he a TA, but he also cruises often so has knowledge of issues that come up. I once emailed him about midnight thinking he would answer in the morning. It wasn’t anything urgent, just some questions. He answered in about 20 minutes which I completely wasn’t expecting. I’m sure a phone call would get a much quicker response and help. That is why I said if you knew who this TA was you would think differently. Since we aren’t allowed to name names that’s all I can say about him.

I guess I didn't follow because I don't think I implied anything of the sort.,  At least that wasn't my intent.   My intent with this is only to point out that there are some TAs that won't answer the phone at 2:00 AM on a Sunday morning or in some cases, any time after regular business hours.  That's some of the horror stories that some people have posted, and it was on the Internet so it has to be true, in a few cruising social media sites and some stories, that I have actually heard (not many, but a couple), people have communicated while on the ship.  It's just something that has to be discussed with a TA before anybody make a decision to utilize any TA.  I'm a realist, I know that the Travel Industry isn't much like any other industry, there are Great TAs, Good TAs, just good enough to get along TAs, and those that just want to make the sail and screw you after the sale.  

No, I'm not singling out any one TA, not at all.  I don't personally know any, anymore.   However, you have my curtesy meter peeked,  I THINK I could guess, but go ahead and tell me who the TA is/was.  And just for the record, I do feel that MOST TAs are very fine hard working people.  Just like any other profession.  

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

No, I'm not singling out any one TA, not at all.  I don't personally know any, anymore.   However, you have my curtesy meter peeked,  I THINK I could guess, but go ahead and tell me who the TA is/was.  And just for the record, I do feel that MOST TAs are very fine hard working people.  Just like any other profession.  

Naming a TA gets you in trouble on CC....

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:13 AM, brillohead said:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario that would necessitate calling anyone at 2am on any day, let alone a Sunday.  Other than Air2Sea, Royal's customer service isn't open 24/7, so calling your TA at 2am is pretty pointless, since they won't be able to contact anyone at Royal at that hour anyway??

There was one time for me when it did benefit me. A "special" room became available on a Friday night. It was the same category as mine with a double-sized balcony. If I had booked with a travel agent, it probably would have been taken before Monday--which would have been the first time I could call. As it was, I was able to call the cruise line and had the room secured Friday night.

16 hours ago, retird said:

The Canadian TAs i contacted had a number of cabins they said pre purchased for their prospective customers and they sell those first.  If not solD by a specific date before the cruise date , they are returned to the cruise line inventory of available cabins.    Actually ive had several Travel agents tell me the same thing.   So if it is not true, then i was just misinformed.

I wonder how that works - there are dozens of large firms and hundreds of small agencies.  They all cant have blocked rooms like that or every sailing would look sold out.  Maybe specific agencies have some kind of agreement with the cruise lines.  I think the cruise lines would have to limit how many cabins are apportioned like this?

I think, and I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong.  Agencies that can afford (the big box agencies and very successful not so big box agencies) to purchase large blocks of cabins at a substantial discount and, I assume, get the usual commission on top of the discount when cabins are sold (I've read in a few places that the TA commission is 10%, I read it on the Internet so I know it's factual 😉) on top of the discounted purchased cabins.  That's how the big box agencies can give their customers up to $2,000.00 in the form of a reimbursement for their onboard account, or $1,500.00 OBC.  There is also an option to get a pre-paid Visa or MasterCard gift card, I just don't remember the specifics as I never considered that one.

I've always wondered why ABC Travel Agency would only give an OBC of $50.00 - $100.00 while the big box agencies can offer ^^^^^ while paying their phone answering agents, advertising, and who know what else.  Is this true, partially true, or completely B.S.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I think, and I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong.  Agencies that can afford (the big box agencies and very successful not so big box agencies) to purchase large blocks of cabins at a substantial discount and, I assume, get the usual commission on top of the discount when cabins are sold (I've read in a few places that the TA commission is 10%, I read it on the Internet so I know it's factual 😉) on top of the discounted purchased cabins.  That's how the big box agencies can give their customers up to $2,000.00 in the form of a reimbursement for their onboard account, or $1,500.00 OBC.  There is also an option to get a pre-paid Visa or MasterCard gift card, I just don't remember the specifics as I never considered that one.

I've always wondered why ABC Travel Agency would only give an OBC of $50.00 - $100.00 while the big box agencies can offer ^^^^^ while paying their phone answering agents, advertising, and who know what else.  Is this true, partially true, or completely B.S.

Its only $1500 obc if spend $15000. Big box or small agency rules are same.

3 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Its only $1500 obc if spend $15000. Big box or small agency rules are same.

Well, with the big box TA I generally use, it was a little less than $15,000.00 to get the $1,500.00, We got the $1,500.00 on our cruise in May to Alaska in a Star Loft Suite, 4 of us, and I believe it was less than $15,000.00 total fare, it was booked almost a year out.  And I just now looked into their website and it has increased to $20,000.00+.  It appears the goal post is being moved further away but the prize hasn't moved at all. 

BTW, I've talked to two very well known Travel agencies.  Both have a big and loyal following on a couple of Social Media Sites and one has a virtually complete video library of cruise ships on YouTube, that the owner of the agency does.  Actually well done. 

I explained/told them both what the big box agency(ies) were offering and one, the one with the YouTube videos, whom I actually talked to the owner, said that he could not match that and that the big box agencies are only concerned with quantity, not quality.  The other, the agent I talked to (email actually) said that her and her agency doesn't offer those either but was willing to give me a $50.00 or $100.00 (I can't remember the amount for sure) OBC and it would have to come out of her commission.  I did not take her up on the offer.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, MightyMike said:

There was one time for me when it did benefit me. A "special" room became available on a Friday night. It was the same category as mine with a double-sized balcony. If I had booked with a travel agent, it probably would have been taken before Monday--which would have been the first time I could call. As it was, I was able to call the cruise line and had the room secured Friday night.

That depends entirely on your travel agent. 

While on Symphony last fall, my friend decided that she liked being on Deck 8 for proximity to Park Cafe, and I suggested at dinnertime that she contact our travel agent to change her room on our next cruise on Allure (side to side cruises).  

She emailed the TA around 10:30pm on Saturday and had an updated booking confirmation with the new room number in her email less than ten minutes later. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I have been on one cruise which I booked myself a few years ago.  Plain vanilla Carnival.  It was good, but I am retired now and after boat-loads of research  I am thinking of upgrading to more premium-type lines. (HAL, Oceania, Viking etc)

I have contacted a recommended TA from a very popular Youtube channel, and have found the person to be very unresponsive.  Although they are specifically recommended, I have corresponded with them on occasion for over two months, have never gotten a call (which they first recommended, and I later requested) and when I email them, it is always a few days or more before I am answered.

It may be that they are busy, which is fine, but I am wanting to find a good TA.  I am seeing a lot of jargon on here (big box TA etc) that is totally lost on me.  How do I go about finding a "big box" company and know who is good, or if I even need a "big box person"? 

I am guessing the forum does not allow specific recommendations?  If not, this is unfortunate.  Where could I go to begin this process?

Thanks in advance!

On 9/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, Tree_skier said:

I have emailed my agent at all hours of the day and night and never waited long for a response.  I have no idea what would happen if I called at 2am. Every call I have made was during the day and was answered by him personally. I usually communicate by email.  I don't even think I have ever needed to leave a voice mail.  His agency is only relevant in that it gives access to good group rates.  It is his service that is exceptional.  That service includes him, apparently, never sleeping. 

I have always booked my own cruises because I never seem to find a cheaper rate via a TA I guess I have not found the right TA

• Like 1