Celebrity From A Gay Point Of View

PFV

Funny, we started with Celebrity about the same time, but were already in our early/ late 30's. Now in our mid-40's/ early 50's ( the new 29, or so I'm told!) and Celebrity continues to fit us well, with our 13th Celebrity cruise in May. Oh, we flirt with Princess now and then, and had a torrid affair with Cunard(as torrid as Cunard can be...) but, for the moment, mostly Celebrity.

My BF (36) and I (34) are also very fond of Celebrity (me a little more so than him; he prefers the higher energy of RCI). We "flirted" with NCL this week when we went on a 4-day Bahamas. We like longer cruises but decided the 4-day would be more palatable for our cruise newbie friends, 6 of whom decided to accompany us. We had fun with our friends but will probably not be returning to NCL. We are considering booking the PP 7-day Caribbean on =X= Silhouette on 11/30.

- Sean.

Funny, we started with Celebrity about the same time, but were already in our early/ late 30's. Now in our mid-40's/ early 50's ( the new 29, or so I'm told!) and Celebrity continues to fit us well, with our 13th Celebrity cruise in May. Oh, we flirt with Princess now and then, and had a torrid affair with Cunard(as torrid as Cunard can be...) but, for the moment, mostly Celebrity.

(The funniest thing about this thread is that I re-read my last post, and have no idea who I was talking about...ah, cruise ship friendships...)

Andrew

Same with us Andrew...we began in our early / late 30's and now in our late 40's, early 50's. Never once thought =X= to be stuffy or rigid, but always amazing. We like leaving the theme-park at home and just enjoy the ambiance and stellar service on board the =X= ships. We've also dipped our toes in Princess, because of the itineraries, but always come back to our preferred. BTW, I think we sailed with you on a Barcelona TA a few years back...:)

I have been on several lines as well and prefer Celebrity. My partner and I( I think i stated this earlier lol) are taking the same ship, the reflection for a 16 day ta to Rome. Funny, he never wanted to cruise but is now looking forward to it.

Hi I am going with a friend on Equinox on 1st June 2014, and will give you a report how things are. I have never had any problem when I was on the millenium and infact met some really great guys and have still stayed friends.

Same with us Andrew...we began in our early / late 30's and now in our late 40's, early 50's. Never once thought =X= to be stuffy or rigid, but always amazing. We like leaving the theme-park at home and just enjoy the ambiance and stellar service on board the =X= ships. We've also dipped our toes in Princess, because of the itineraries, but always come back to our preferred. BTW, I think we sailed with you on a Barcelona TA a few years back...:)
Maybe! All of these cruises, as fun as they are, start to blend. And I do like my TA's...:D

• 2 months later...

Hubby and I LOVE Celebrity. We're coming home TA in the fall on the "Silhouette" and doing a winter Caribbean on the "Equinox". But just a reminder....the original post is about 8 yrs old, now. And ya, we've taken the "Zenith" to Bermuda, too!

• 3 weeks later...

As for bed arrangements we asked when booking for one bed but when we arrived there were 2 singles. We spoke to the room attendant who was more than obliging to put the beds together as he said "that means I only have one bed to make each day". Never blinked an eylid.

Cheers

Clark and Scotty

I know this is a resurrected X thread, and I'm a Princesser. I suppose if X sailed out of SFO more than a couple of times a year, and if I weren't now entitled to free dry cleaning on Princess, I'd be on Celebrity again. But I digress….

Thing is, my husband and I spent our honeymoon on the Royal Princess' inaugural trans-Atlantic last fall. We even wore matching "Just Married" T-shirts onboard. (Awww…)

And we were amazed by the response of the straight passengers, who were overwhelmingly congratulatory, sometimes days after we'd doffed the Ts. One het stranger even made it a point to come up to us and tell us he'd heard SSM had been legalized in New Jersey. If anything, the straights (and the staff) gushed over us more than the other queer pax did. Times change. I guess we were the Flavor of the Month. And it was great.

We have never sailed out of San Francisco, on =X= or Princess. I understand that some cruisers prefer not to fly. We both enjoy flying out and of SFO to other countries or states! Sometimes I day dream about living in an area where we were closer to an abundance of cruise itineraries - like NJ or FLA. Oh well...:)

My partner and I, from our first cruise on =X= and even now on our current roll call board, have always received genuine and a very gracious level of exemplary service on all of her ships. Wherever we are dining, laying out, or on an excursion, have found the passengers to also be welcoming and engaging. We have never had to have a conversation with a manager regarding poor or sub-standard treatment.

It's really good to see times slowly changing, and a new tolerant generation taking over.

Are there a lot of kids on Celebrity? My partner & I sail on Oceania & love that there really are no kids & families. I'm considering Celebrity (much better pricing) but not sure about having all the kids around?

Also, can it be a "sports bar" atmosphere? Not a fan of that either.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Are there a lot of kids on Celebrity? My partner & I sail on Oceania & love that there really are no kids & families. I'm considering Celebrity (much better pricing) but not sure about having all the kids around?

I think it depends on the cruise line, the cruise destination and length of the cruise. Our 15 day Celebrity Hawaii last year I only saw a couple of teenagers, but otherwise it was mainly an older crowd. Our San Francisco to Sydney in September I'd be surprised if we see any kids at all. On the other hand a short Caribbean cruise, or for us in Australia a South Pacific round trip, I'd expect a load of kids on board particularly over summer school holidays.

Thanks posspet. I would be looking at a 12-14 day Mediterranean itinerary most likely in September....although there is one in July that I also like. I'm guessing the July sailing would have kids versus the September one.

I know it's not really possible to tell in advance but I was curious overall since I've never sailed Celebrity.

Thanks!

Not really...we did a Med cruise in 2011 on the Eclipse and were hard pressed to find any children. There may have been one or two, but had nannies watching over. I think we saw them in the Horizon's Grill once.

Depends upon the itinerary. You're probably more likely to find children on Caribbean or Alaskan cruises - or during summer months of June - August. We're headed to the Med again in a couple of months and as far as I can tell, there is no mention of children on our roll call board.

Saying that...our children have sailed with us when they were much younger (now they are adults) - but did travel to Alaska and Caribbean. There were lots of children and families on those itineraries. :)

Agree very few kids on Celebrity. The cruises we have taken on Celebrity out of the states I cannot recall any to tell the truth. We will also be on the Century Sept SF to Sydney and would the chances of many kids onboard I think would be minimal.

We will be in the Martini Bar before dinner every night.:p:p We are doing select dining. It may not actually be the posted time for FOD gathering but hopefully we will still see others alike. I know there are 3 gay couples on board so far.

Cheers

Clark And Scotty (look for the Hawaiian shirts)

Thanks posspet. I would be looking at a 12-14 day Mediterranean itinerary most likely in September....although there is one in July that I also like. I'm guessing the July sailing would have kids versus the September one.

I know it's not really possible to tell in advance but I was curious overall since I've never sailed Celebrity.

Thanks!

Celebrity, in general, does not have a huge family/kids draw. The avg age of pax is mid-50s. But there are also a good deal of young professional couples, families with college-aged kids and retirees. Just not many young kids. And definitely not a sports-bar type feel at all. And even less so on a 12-14 day Med cruise in Sept. I doubt you will see more than a handful of school-aged children.

I think it depends on the cruise line, the cruise destination and length of the cruise. Our 15 day Celebrity Hawaii last year I only saw a couple of teenagers, but otherwise it was mainly an older crowd. Our San Francisco to Sydney in September I'd be surprised if we see any kids at all. On the other hand a short Caribbean cruise, or for us in Australia a South Pacific round trip, I'd expect a load of kids on board particularly over summer school holidays.

Hi there. My name is Mike I am a single gay male 68 and will be on the Celebrity Cruise from San Fran to Sydney. I was wondering if any other gay men were on board and I saw your post. It would be great to meet for a drink and say hi...Im not the "clinging"type so don't worry hehe but it will be nice to see friendly faces.

Hi there. My name is Mike I am a single gay male 68 and will be on the Celebrity Cruise from San Fran to Sydney. I was wondering if any other gay men were on board and I saw your post. It would be great to meet for a drink and say hi...Im not the "clinging"type so don't worry hehe but it will be nice to see friendly faces.

Best to check the "role call" section for that cruise.

Hi Mike,

We look forward to meeting up and if we miss you at the M&M, we'll be in the Martini Bar for a pre-dinner drink 7.30-8.30 (or thereabouts) each evening, so see you there. :)

Cheers, Scotty & Clark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

We did an 11 day Eastern Med on Reflection last October and we only remember one kid (about 4 yo) on the entire ship. She was very well behaved as long as the IPad battery was going.... Cute dad had to secure another device to quiet her back down during dinner one night. ONLY disruption noted and we ALL had fun with the occasion. Only one or two kids barely noticed on the 15 day B2B TA. No sportsbar feel anywhere either. Enjoy Celebrity, we do.

You guys going on the Century 9-16... We will just be getting off the 9-4 Golden Gate Alaska leg. May get married at city hall before boarding and celebrate 32 years with a Honeymoon. Haven't found any family on our cruise yet though. Mike and Ron