Naples Archaeology Museum (walk/bus) plus pizzeria

anonmom

We are docking in Naples tomorrow and want to go to the National Archaeological Museum. Can we walk there from the port? Or take public transit? 

We are in Civitavecchia today and clearly we were not ready for Italy! For some reason we have terrible cell service here, even though it was great in Barcelona and Ajaccio. We would like to be more prepared/less confused tomorrow.

It was also surprisingly hard to find a pizzería with tables to sit in and wifi here. I would love a good pizzeria recommendation for Naples! 

It is definitely walkable to the museum.  I did it a several years ago.  It wasn't a bad walk, but it is through busy city streets.  I walked back to the ship too.  I didn't investigate public transit options since I wanted to do the walking.  Looking at Google maps now, it looks like you could ride the Metro (subway) from the Municipio station (very near the port) 2 stops to the Museo station, which is near the museum.

Walking back is easier than walking there, as coming back it's downhill.  It's not steeply uphill going there, but it is noticable.  The total walking distance is about a mile and a third from the cruise port (Molo Angioino to Piazza Museo, if you want to make a google map).

The metro is the easiest way to go using public transit, as noted above.

You can see a map of the metro and regional train lines on the city's web site here:  Comune di Napoli - Il trasporto pubblico a Napoli

If you look for the yellow line in the middle of the page you'll see the Municipio stop at the bottom.  Travel upward along that line and you'll see the Toledo and Dante stops, the next one is Museo, right at the museum.

Edited by euro cruiser

I would love a good pizzeria recommendation for Naples! 

ALL pizza in Naples is good, you can really not go wrong, so for something a bit different, after our first visit to the Archaeological Museum, we went to the what is thought to be the very first pizzeria in the world, just a few minutes walk from the Archaeological Museum.  Might be worth googling to find the name and address as it was really quite close.  It was not anything terribly special (Naples is after all reknown for excellent pizza and there are many options) but it was quite nice to know we were in the first one ever.

A bit like us visiting the first ever Starbucks when we visited Seattle.  Many souvenirs for sale inside and really busy both inside and  outside as other folks took their selfies.

51 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I would love a good pizzeria recommendation for Naples! 

ALL pizza in Naples is good, you can really not go wrong, so for something a bit different, after our first visit to the Archaeological Museum, we went to the what is thought to be the very first pizzeria in the world, just a few minutes walk from the Archaeological Museum.  Might be worth googling to find the name and address as it was really quite close.  It was not anything terribly special (Naples is after all reknown for excellent pizza and there are many options) but it was quite nice to know we were in the first one ever.

A bit like us visiting the first ever Starbucks when we visited Seattle.  Many souvenirs for sale inside and really busy both inside and  outside as other folks took their selfies.

Just as an FYI, there are several rival establishments in Naples that claim to be the "first". 😉

To the OP:  There is a list of what are considered the "true" Neapolitan pizzerias (Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana) -- those that use the real, local ingredients and make their pizza according to certain standards. You can see it here, there are several that are easy walking distance from either the museum or the port.

Just as an FYI, there are several rival establishments in Naples that claim to be the "first"

Actually the Antica Port'Alba mentioned above rings a vague bell in my mind, so pretty sure that was the one, especially if it has an upstairs dining area as that is where we were seated.

Internet searching "oldest pizzeria in the world" or "first pizzeria in the world" or even "oldest pizzeria in Naples" brings up that name over and over again in the results, so there is the possibility that its claim may actually  be  true. True or not, I do think we have eaten tastier pizza elsewhere in Naples, although our favouite was actually in  Palermo Sicily..