One party cancel to result on in solo traveler, options?

Titanfan22

I posted the following in the insurance forum with little response and was hoping I could receive input here from some of the seasoned travelers.

We are booking an NCL cruise for my wife and I December 30th.  It’s possible my wife will not be able to go due to a work commitment.  I would like to go either way.  The cost is $3000 or so for both of us and $2,600 for me if booked as a solo. (Balcony room only) Can we get insurance to cover her $1500 in case of cancellation for any reason?  If so, how much would it cost and approximately how much would she get back?  We are wondering, for example, would the refund ($1500?) less the extra paid for two travelers ($400) less the insurance cost ($200?) net a positive of $900 +/- that would bring the $2600 solo cost down to $1700 or so?  I’m plugging numbers for the example.  

Also, what does this do to my reservation with NCL?  I assume NCL won’t refund her reservation after lock in period..  We have paid for two people but I will travel solo.  Can I?  Do I have to pay for both drink package gratuities and room gratuities even if she does not come?  I can’t imagine this hasn’t happened in the past to someone else. 

I know this is a handful so I am thanking in advance!

Because you are, (or would be?), booking in the Penalty Period, there would not be much of the booking directly refunded.  More than likely your wife's account would receive a Future Cruise Credit at a value largely reduced.  Some of her items would be credited back to the Credit Card used to book the cruise.

Good luck!

If you're sure that you will go, how about just booking as a solo now and adding your wife when/if she knows she can go?  That way, you'd just have to pay the difference to add her.  Of course, I'm assuming you haven't actually booked yet.

• Like 2

I did address this on the insurance forum. Yes, you can buy a policy that covers cancellation for work reasons. You have to provide documentation with the claim, such as a notarized letter from the employer.

Insure both of you so that your wife is reimbursed for her portion of the prepaid nonrefundable expenses, and you are reimbursed for the upcharge in the form of the single supplement. Drink packages, gratuities, port fees, and taxes will be refunded. You can sail solo; but if you want compensation for the nonrefundable items, you’ll need insurance.

There is no need to buy Cancel for any Reason insurance in a third-party policy  if you get one that covers work because you will be reimbursed 100% in cash for a covered reason; however, compare the cost of NCL insurance to a third-party policy. NCL DOES NOT cover work reasons, but it will reimburse a percentage in FCC if your wife cancels and it will cover your single supplement if you are both insured.

Third-party insurance is priced according to age, amount insured, length of trip, and coverage levels. I can’t tell you how much a policy will cost, but you can enter your information on sites like insuremytrip or squaremouth to get an idea. If you are not familiar with travel insurance, I suggest you get the advice of a professional like one of the agents at Trip Insurance Store rather than try to sort through a lot of policies on your own.

Be careful and read any policy in detail; while the NCL policy will provide an FCC % to your wife if she cancels for a non-covered reason, it only covers your increased cost as a single if her cancelation is due to a covered reason.

You will have to crunch the numbers, but it’s possible the cost of the insurance plus the  amount not covered is greater than just having your wife be a no-show.

To get a detailed answer that fits your exact situation (age and state of residence matter) I also recommend you call Trip Insurance Store.  You will need to know your total trip insurable costs.

I don't agree that you should get a policy with cancel for work reason and not any reason. The work reason has pretty defined exclusions. If she already has a commitment as you indicated in first post, then it's unlikely she can provide the necessary proof that she was ever given approval for the time.  Also certain types of employment are not qualified. 

Read the policy forward and backward so you aren't disappointed. 

42 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

Be careful and read any policy in detail; while the NCL policy will provide an FCC % to your wife if she cancels for a non-covered reason, it only covers your increased cost as a single if her cancelation is due to a covered reason.

You will have to crunch the numbers, but it’s possible the cost of the insurance plus the  amount not covered is greater than just having your wife be a no-show.

To get a detailed answer that fits your exact situation (age and state of residence matter) I also recommend you call Trip Insurance Store.  You will need to know your total trip insurable costs.

Thanks for pointing out that the single supplement coverage is in effect ONLY if the wife cancels for a covered reason - a key element that I missed. Work reasons are not covered by NCL so its policy likely will not work for what the OP is trying to accomplish.

The above comments are all on point.  But, you noted a reimbursement for insurance costs.  If you claim insurance, you will not get that.  I always look at insurance as a "sunk" cost.  So, unless she moves her cruise to another one (and the insurance with it), I think you are out that, but check someone wiser than me!

On 9/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, dbrown84 said:

If you're sure that you will go, how about just booking as a solo now and adding your wife when/if she knows she can go?  That way, you'd just have to pay the difference to add her.  Of course, I'm assuming you haven't actually booked yet.

Do you know how this works, will it be an outrageous surcharge or will there be a set fee?

On 9/27/2022 at 10:03 AM, Babr said:

I did address this on the insurance forum. Yes, you can buy a policy that covers cancellation for work reasons. You have to provide documentation with the claim, such as a notarized letter from the employer.

Insure both of you so that your wife is reimbursed for her portion of the prepaid nonrefundable expenses, and you are reimbursed for the upcharge in the form of the single supplement. Drink packages, gratuities, port fees, and taxes will be refunded. You can sail solo; but if you want compensation for the nonrefundable items, you’ll need insurance.

There is no need to buy Cancel for any Reason insurance in a third-party policy  if you get one that covers work because you will be reimbursed 100% in cash for a covered reason; however, compare the cost of NCL insurance to a third-party policy. NCL DOES NOT cover work reasons, but it will reimburse a percentage in FCC if your wife cancels and it will cover your single supplement if you are both insured.

Third-party insurance is priced according to age, amount insured, length of trip, and coverage levels. I can’t tell you how much a policy will cost, but you can enter your information on sites like insuremytrip or squaremouth to get an idea. If you are not familiar with travel insurance, I suggest you get the advice of a professional like one of the agents at Trip Insurance Store rather than try to sort through a lot of policies on your own.

Sorry, I was a little impatient and posted again in this forum just before you responded.  I wanted to get it out here for more input before heading to work that day.  I truly appreciate your insight. Tks

• Like 1