Booking dining times in advance of cruise?

san diego sue

Haven't cruise on HAL for several years. Are we able to book dining  room in advance(not specialty)?

On Princess they no longer have a fixed dining room but we can book specific times and do it for the whole cruise. Also we can add our cruising companions.

All done on the App.

Don't see on HAL's appl. anywhere that I can do the same. Please help. We have 8 in our party so would be helpful to handle this prior to cruising.

Thanks for any help.

2 hours ago, Herschel Dirtwater said:

I don't believe you can book a custom dinner time in the MDR ahead of time other than early or late.  If Princess lets you do that, that must be new because I've sailed with them several times and you always had to wait in line at the MDR on day 1 to make that request.

Waiting in line the first day of a Princess cruise to arrange dining, no longer the case and hasn't for a very long time.

Now on the Medallion Application (on your phone) we can book in advance. I have picked our dining

room and the exact time we would like to arrive.It is anytime dining in all the dining rooms but you can in advance pick the time , either day by day or for the whole cruise. So in effect it is fixed dining. or you can just show up and wait in the no reservation line.Since cruising resumed  and the Medallion appl.mostly fully functioning, this can be done way in advance of cruising. We are Elite with Princess and can do it. Possibly if not elite, maybe not available. Don't know.

So as far as HAL goes, no way to book any times or early or late? That is my question. We are a group of 8 and want to be organized prior to boarding if possible.

13 minutes ago, Chickadee910 said:

MDR just messaged me that our Jan.cruises on the koningsdam are still waitlisted for early dining but it is adjusted weekly and that our minibar will be emptied as requested. One more thing checked off my list.

I went on line and haven't found anywhere to pick which dining we want. As instructed on here, I went to Cruise Activities to select and all it had was the specialty dining venues to book. I booked on line and wasn't given a choice when booking.  I want late dining if possible.Is that assigned automatically?

1 minute ago, san diego sue said:

I went on line and haven't found anywhere to pick which dining we want. As instructed on here, I went to Cruise Activities to select and all it had was the specialty dining venues to book. I booked on line and wasn't given a choice when booking.  I want late dining if possible.Is that assigned automatically?

If you want late dining, your travel agent or HAL Cruise Consultant can make that part of your booking number.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chickadee910 said:

MDR just messaged me that our Jan.cruises on the koningsdam are still waitlisted for early dining but it is adjusted weekly and that our minibar will be emptied as requested. One more thing checked off my list.

I gave up on asking my minibar to be emptied.  I’d sit on hold forever pre pandemic and they told me no problem it will be done.  Not once was it ever done.

9 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I gave up on asking my minibar to be emptied.  I’d sit on hold forever pre pandemic and they told me no problem it will be done.  Not once was it ever done.

Do they put a bunch of items you won't be buying filling up your refrig. If so, I will just remove and put on a shelf or on the desk. I use our refrig for bottles of water.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Do they put a bunch of items you won't be buying filling up your refrig. If so, I will just remove and put on a shelf or on the desk. I use our refrig for bottles of water.

Yes the standard liquor that they usually have in the fridge.  I like to keep water or Perrier in there.  I usually find a place to put the goods with a note for them to take it away.  I always think to myself what if I was an alcoholic with no control when they say they will take it away and won’t.  Clearly there is a disconnect between ships and shore side.

25 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

The minibar is prestocked before you board the ship.  When you see your Room Steward on Embarkation Day, tell them you want the contents removed.  If the contents are still there when you return from dinner, find your Room Steward ad let them know you are not happy. If the minibar is still full the next morning, use the "Let Us Know" tab on the Navigator app and provide your displeasure.  The latter will have someone from "Beverage" at your door within the hour.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2