Scooter vs.Walker

lenquixote66

I have Parkinson’s and Spinal Stenosis.I have been unable to walk on my own since 2016.At present I have a 2 wheel Walker that I use in my home and a 7 wheel U-Step Walker that I use outside.However,one of my problems is that both of my feet and both legs tend to get numb at the same time giving me the sensation of falling.It has been suggested to me to use a scooter.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

No way I’d be able to cruise with just a Walker. Distances on a ship are just too vast for me now and with medical costs on a ship, falls are too expensive, but even out side those considerations inPort becomes a nightmare.

Though I do prefer a compact power wheelchair to a scooter.

I used a travel scoot scooter for many years. It was collapsible and light weight. However, once stepping over the middle of the scooter became increasing difficult I knew I had to have a different device. I still wanted it to be collapsible and light weight with batteries that were OK for air travel. I am very happy with my fold-and-go wheelchair. There are others on the market but this one has done very well by me.

I rented a scooter for the first time on the Apex this past January and it was a a game-changer!

Apart from almost killing a couple people (eek!), I got used to it and it saved me a lot of discomfort, so much so that we just bought one.

We'll be flying Atlanta to L.A. this coming January to board the Sostice, headed for the Mexican Riviera and, apart from one tendered port (Cabo), the rest are docked, so I should be able to take it ashore with me.

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

I rented a scooter for the first time on the Apex this past January and it was a a game-changer!

Apart from almost killing a couple people (eek!), I got used to it and it saved me a lot of discomfort, so much so that we just bought one.

We'll be flying Atlanta to L.A. this coming January to board the Sostice, headed for the Mexican Riviera and, apart from one tendered port (Cabo), the rest are docked, so I should be able to take it ashore with me.

On a longer cruise I have been known to take

Power folding wheelchair

Walker

Sticks

as that’s what I use at home, the minimum to get through the day. 

I prefer a power chair to a scooter, but recently bought one for longer trips to the shops now I gave up driving.

Edited by GUT2407

I have MS and I use a cane for most daily activities, I use a rollator when I do activities where I cannot watch every step I take as I trip, and we did buy a scooter which I use for fairs, museums etc.  Next month will be the first time I am taking it on a cruise.  I know that even with the rollator I would be extremely uncomfortable walking these distances on a large ship.  The rollator is staying home.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:03 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

Go with your doctor’s recommendation.    If you are still able to walk he/she may recommend that you stay upright as much as possible.   

Always the best option, but in the case make sure your doctor understands what is involved when cruising.