North Star Charge ?

ddean52

I was just reading a review of Ovation and the reviewer noted that North Star on Ovation is fee based. We have never been charged for North Star in the past. Has something changed??

Thanks 

Dean

14 minutes ago, ddean52 said:

I was just reading a review of Ovation and the reviewer noted that North Star on Ovation is fee based. We have never been charged for North Star in the past. Has something changed??

Thanks 

Dean

There is a charge for the "extended" ride. There are still complimentary rides that just go up and down. 

I've been on two Quantum Class (Anthem and Ovation) cruises.  Both cruises I was not able to get on the North Star.  It's always broke down, they didn't have enough crew to staff it, or, or, or, .........  It's just a good thing that it wasn't something that is/was in my bucket list.  

46 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I've been on two Quantum Class (Anthem and Ovation) cruises.  Both cruises I was not able to get on the North Star.  It's always broke down, they didn't have enough crew to staff it, or, or, or, .........  It's just a good thing that it wasn't something that is/was in my bucket list.  

I have been on a total of 10 Quantum class ship cruises.  It is something I have enjoyed doing on all of them.

• Like 1

We were on Anthem in June and it was quite difficult to book a time on North Star even on charged sea days so it seems that people are more than willing to accept the cost.

I'm sure though it was always free but perhaps I'm wrong.

Prior to the shutdown North Star was complimentary except in China.  Over the years I have taken many rides on that basis.  As a solo cruiser it was almost assured to get in on a standby basis without a complimentary reservation.

Years ago, thinking 2017-ish on Anthem there was no paid versions offered ever - it was always complimentary.  In 2019 Ovation only charged for rides in Alaska at the glaciers the rest of the time it was complimentary.  Later in 2019 on the way to Hawaii all Ovation North Star rides were complimentary.  Early in 2020 Ovation and Anthem were complimentary, Ovation to New Zealand and Anthem to the Caribbean.  

When cruising restarted in North America Odyssey debuted with a charge for the rides that were 20 minutes and went over the sides of the ship.  On port days there were some complimentary 15 minute rides that did not go over the edge of the ship.  Other Q class ships followed this approach as they restarted.  

Quantum to Alaska in 2022 had some complimentary times but they were loaded into the system daily so if you didn't check often you might assume there were never complimentary rides available.

The new approach seems to have triggered demand.  Under the old approach it was common for folks to make complementary reservations and skip them.  Now it seems demand is up and few people skip their reservations complimentary or paid.  

I don't get the draw of the Northstar ride. I guess I can see it giving you a better view of the glaciers on and Alaskan cruise, but on a regular Caribbean cruise, aren't you basically just seeing the water higher up in the air? I'm surprised it's popular or that anyone would pay money for that.

I guess now I'm sounding like the people who say "I can't believe people pay for the dining package/suite/day bed at cococay" 😂.

• Haha 1