Opinions Please -Gty info via Barcode and Royal Up bid

Looking to see if anyone has any experience with this.

Today we finally got our Set Sail Pass for a short 3 night on Navigator end of the month.  Our app shows us on deck 10 and a muster station. The barcode trick shows a cabin number for a virtual balcony, which we have a Royal Bid for — but they do not seem to have processed the bids.  I have no charge pending, all of my bids show as “submitted” but I’m also aware that we are not officially assigned this cabin yet.

Should I cancel the bid?  I don’t want to pay to be in a category we seem to already have.  But I prefer this category over the other interior options.

5 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Today we finally got our Set Sail Pass for a short 3 night on Navigator end of the month.  Our app shows us on deck 10 and a muster station. The barcode trick shows a cabin number for a virtual balcony, which we have a Royal Bid for — but they do not seem to have processed the bids.  I have no charge pending, all of my bids show as “submitted” but I’m also aware that we are not officially assigned this cabin yet.

Should I cancel the bid?  I don’t want to pay to be in a category we seem to already have.  But I prefer this category over the other interior options.

YES!!  I have not read a single thread, that after using the barcode reader with an assigned muster station, that the passenger did not get the assigned barcode room. You could possibly be charged for an "upgrade" that you are already assigned 😲.

Cancel your upgrades and toast 🥂 your good fortune. Go out and play the Power Ball.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

You aren’t sailing until the end of the month.

plenty of time to determine your guarantee for certain and then decide if you want to rebid.

6 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes, cancel it.

FWIW, I have booked several interior GTY's and the only free upgrade I've ever gotten was a virtual balcony.

I upgraded from inside to balcony with my bid but if OP is satisfied with what she “thinks” she has been allocated i would wait and makes sure first before going for higher. Certainly no point on bidding on something she thinks she has already got.

We kept our bid for two different OV categories — but will be perfectly happy in the virtual if the other bids aren’t accepted.  It was more of an issue of preferring the virtual vs a standard interior.  The std has very little space between the corner of the bed and the couch and/or cabinet on the other side.  Very easy to bang ones knee in the middle of the night heading to the head.  The virtual cabin doesn’t have a couch, just a chair, which opens up the space on that side of the bed.  Since my husband has a bad knee, we prefer that little bit of extra space.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

You aren’t sailing until the end of the month.

plenty of time to determine your guarantee for certain and then decide if you want to rebid.

Not really — they have been processing bids at about 3 weeks out, so if I don’t have my bids in place then I could miss out on an OV category, which we would like even more than the virtual.  What we don’t want, is to pay for a bid on a virtual when we seem to already be assigned to one - or to lose the virtual AND not get any of our other bids accepted. 

35 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

We kept our bid for two different OV categories — but will be perfectly happy in the virtual if the other bids aren’t accepted.  It was more of an issue of preferring the virtual vs a standard interior.  The std has very little space between the corner of the bed and the couch and/or cabinet on the other side.  Very easy to bang ones knee in the middle of the night heading to the head.  The virtual cabin doesn’t have a couch, just a chair, which opens up the space on that side of the bed.  Since my husband has a bad knee, we prefer that little bit of extra space.  

Sounds like the best idea.

It’s always a gamble booking a guarantee - you just have to be prepared for the worst case and hope for the best. That’s the trade off for the better price. There are times when we do it and times when we won’t. 

Some Royal-ups aren’t assigned until after check-in.

I still think this far out your documents should have time to be updated.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Sounds like the best idea.

It’s always a gamble booking a guarantee - you just have to be prepared for the worst case and hope for the best. That’s the trade off for the better price. There are times when we do it and times when we won’t. 

Some Royal-ups aren’t assigned until after check-in.

I still think this far out your documents should have time to be updated.

Yes, we would also be fine in a std, just happy to not be.  We have never done the gty before (but I know how it works).  We are testing out the “book cheap a few weeks out” concept now that we are empty nesters with no school schedules to work around.  We have bid many times, between Royal and NCL, so very familiar with those programs.  

On 10/3/2022 at 3:40 PM, 3kidsncats said:

What is the barcode trick?

1 hour ago, 3kidsncats said:

Hopefully it works for you if you are still waiting for your assignment 🙂

Thanks... We have an assigned cabin for next week on Adventure but have a balcony guarantee on Harmony in January.  We will probably do a royal up bid when available.

4 minutes ago, pontoonscott said:

Can someone clarify the barcode thing. 
when I scan our codes I get the following :

any thoughts? Thanks 

this is our first time to book a guarantee room. 

The numbers after the dash are your cabins.

1 minute ago, pontoonscott said:

It says 1903 -GTY

Then unfortunately you truly don't have a cabin assignment yet. The GTY will eventually change to a cabin number. It happens on occasion though most people can find out the cabin very early via the barcode.

Just keep checking.

Edited by OCSC Mike

2 hours ago, pontoonscott said:

It says 1903 -GTY

I have read many posts. When you are assigned a muster station, try to read the barcode again. In almost all of the instances, you will get the room number after the "-".

I have not read anyone being able to read a room number without a muster station being printed.

My observations, not absolute fact.

Regards.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have read many posts. When you are assigned a muster station, try to read the barcode again. In almost all of the instances, you will get the room number after the "-".

I have not read anyone being able to read a room number without a muster station being printed.

My observations, not absolute fact.

Regards.

I have next to no experience to add, except that we do have a deck and muster station 🙂

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

I have next to no experience to add, except that we do have a deck and muster station 🙂

I keep telling you, "It is time to play the Big Six Lotto Ball." Maybe give me a 0.1% advisory fee 😉. The proceeds will help a young couple at heart pursue their dreams 🤣😂. Oh, I cannot keep from laughing. Regards.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I keep telling you, "It is time to play the Big Six Lotto Ball." Maybe give me a 0.1% advisory fee 😉. The proceeds will help a young couple at heart pursue their dreams 🤣😂. Oh, I cannot keep from laughing. Regards.

We’ve been playing, lol, but no lottery luck so far.