Transportation to Southampton

D.B.

I'm booked on a transatlantic crossing later this month, and while I have sailed on Cunard several times, I have never embarked from Southampton.  Do any of you have recommendations for a private car service to get from Central London to Southampton?

From my understanding, the trip by car is approximately 2 hours.  Normally, I would consider taking a train, or a shared bus/van option, but my husband and I will likely have considerable luggage, and a private car would be more convenient for us. (This sailing is just one part of a longer trip.)

I'm sure this question has likely been asked before, but any current advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

At the end of October, we will be using https://www.tmrchauffeurs.co.uk/ and have used them more  than 20 round trips over the last 12/14 years, travelling from/to London - Southampton.

You're on holiday - do it in style! (Merc S-Class)

They also have been known to drive Cunard captains around (and football club managers).

Edited by BigMac1953
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, techteach said:

@gkerlin Could you please report back after your cruise? I will be booking transportation for our trip in December. Thanks.

I sure will.    I also booked them from LHR to our hotel on Leicester Square so I'll have 2 trips with them.

@gkerlin Oooo let me know their cost of the LHR to hotel. We’re by Hyde Park, Bond Street tube, which is close to Leicester.  I’m concerned regarding timing getting out of LHR. I guess they do this all the time and won’t be there too soon with me paying them by the hour.

17 minutes ago, techteach said:

@gkerlin Oooo let me know their cost of the LHR to hotel. We’re by Hyde Park, Bond Street tube, which is close to Leicester.  I’m concerned regarding timing getting out of LHR. I guess they do this all the time and won’t be there too soon with me paying them by the hour.

Leicester Square, in London terms at any rate, is nowhere near Hyde Park Corner.

I don’t pay much attention to the luggage limitations. I look at the type of car I’m renting and then can make a determination on that. 

LHR to Leicester we are renting an E class Mercedes, and it still says only two suitcases.  I know thats E class Mercedes can pack a whole bunch more than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@exlondoner Thanks for that information. I was looking at the tube map and noticed there was one stop, Piccadilly between Leicester and Hyde. Our closest stop is actually Bond Street. Her information would still be helpful.

Green Park? There was another, called, I think, Down Street, but it was closed before the war, as it was too close to the others.

10 hours ago, techteach said:

We are staying at the Marriott Grosvenor Square. Bond Street and Marble Arch are close. 

If you stroll along Brook Street, so called because the buried Tyburn River flows underneath, towards the Park, you will come across one of my favourite London coincidences. According to the Blue Plaques, Jimi Hendrix and Handel lived next door to each other, though they missed each other by 250 years. Hendrix loved Handel ’s music, and I suspect the opposite might have been the case too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2022 at 7:47 AM, D.B. said:

I'm booked on a transatlantic crossing later this month, and while I have sailed on Cunard several times, I have never embarked from Southampton.  Do any of you have recommendations for a private car service to get from Central London to Southampton?

From my understanding, the trip by car is approximately 2 hours.  Normally, I would consider taking a train, or a shared bus/van option, but my husband and I will likely have considerable luggage, and a private car would be more convenient for us. (This sailing is just one part of a longer trip.)

I'm sure this question has likely been asked before, but any current advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would take private car service. Especially with the way the trains are these days strkes take place on saturdays and the sunday train service is always poor.

On 10/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, techteach said:

@gkerlin Just plugged in our information, the rate seems fair, 110., but I’m concerned the limit to luggage is 2. Hope we can add carry-ons to that.

Could you tell me who gave you a quote of 110 pounds?  I asked for a quote from blacklane and it was 250.  This would be from the Westminster bridge area to Southampton.