Cruising Antartica

Nonnie1975

1 hour ago, Jetsetter2023 said:

Thank you!! All of these answers help a lot I heard smaller ships provide muck boots so I wasn’t sure if we needed those! 

The smaller ships provide muck boots because their passengers land in Antartica. Princess passengers do not.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This thread has be SO VERY helpful in getting ready for our Jan Antarctica cruise (drive-by on Princess).    

Question:   what about eyewear?   Will normal sunglasses do it, or should we get snow goggles?

I know we'll want to be outside as much as possible, so we don't miss anything 🙂

Thanks,

Mary

52 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

This thread has be SO VERY helpful in getting ready for our Jan Antarctica cruise (drive-by on Princess).    

Question:   what about eyewear?   Will normal sunglasses do it, or should we get snow goggles?

I know we'll want to be outside as much as possible, so we don't miss anything 🙂

Thanks,

Mary

We wear prescription glasses with "clear to dark" transition lens, and they worked just fine when we were there on a HAL cruise back in 2018. No need for snow goggles IMHO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thanks,

Mary

We just got off an expedition cruise with actual landings via zodiacs and found regular sunglasses to be sufficient. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMPORTANT HINT:  If you haven't already done so, book any shore excursion that relates to seeing penguins as fare out from the sailing date as possible...and certainly before getting to the ship.  When we did this cruise on Princess years ago, many people were disappointed when all the penguin excursions were sold out pre-cruise, and NOT available for anyone wanting to book one when then boarded the ship.

• Thanks 2

I was just looking at Viking Antarctica cruises recently and saw that they provide all necessary expedition gear on polar excursions and you get to keep your expedition jacket! And apparently they have some kind of drying closet in every room that dries your clothes and boots quicker than hanging them up. Amazing. A cruise-by would be wonderful, I’m sure. But if I’m going all the way to Antarctica, I’m going ashore to play with some penguins!!😆😁

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 5:55 PM, AryMay said:

To really enjoy Antarctica, you need to dress for cold and wind. We did this cruise in 2019 and spent a lot of time outdoors...and I mean a LOT. Here is an excerpt from my blog describing how I dressed:

My clothing amounted to either Cuddle Duds long underwear or a pair of fleece-lined leggings under my jeans and then topped by a pair of REI rain pants to block the wind. On top was a warm sweatshirt or sherpa top, my Columbia fleece jacket and finally my parka-length Eddie Bauer packable down coat. For headwear I had a fleece lined knitted beanie covered by a microfleece hood that I got at Kohls. This protected my neck and I could pull it up over my chin and mouth. I also pulled up the hood on my down coat...so 3 layers on my head altogether! I had purchased convertible wool mittens that could be folded back to expose the tips of my fingers to use my camera but these I never wore. Instead I put Hot Hands hand warmers inside my snuggly fitting gloves and my hands stayed toasty warm. I had also brought along foot warmers, but never used any. Wool socks kept my feet plenty warm. Getting dressed was time consuming, but we stayed outside for long periods of time and were comfortable.

image.thumb.jpeg.abb308fa832d2752f892ef18323a29fa.jpeg

The link to my blog is in my signature if you would like to read about our trip...our favorite of many cruises for sure!

Thank you so much for your detailed info & photo of your attire for your Antarctica cruise.

We're just back from the Jan 20th Sapphire cruise;   I followed your clothing example and happy to report we had just the right clothes & were nice and warm all the hours we were outside, either on the Promenade, or on the top decks (where views are excellent, but it can get *very* windy and cold.

Best,

Mary

• Like 2