QM2 Balconies

QM2 Balconies - Perusing balconies on offer, only sheltered balconies and obstructed balconies are available on the current Australian cruise.  Could anyone who has cruised on QM2 comment on its balconies.  The sheltered balconies looked to me like ocean view with a window cut in the wall?  Is this a correct assumption?  Can you see the water from a chair on obstructed view balconies?  

Had a sheltered balcony, Deck 5 on QM2. It was fine.   Being a solid balcony in the hull rather than higher up in the superstructure.,you are restricted in what you see when sitting down.  But good value I thought, plus they are covered so protection from sun and rain.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Had a sheltered balcony, Deck 5 on QM2. It was fine.   Being a solid balcony in the hull rather than higher up in the superstructure.,you are restricted in what you see when sitting down.  But good value I thought, plus they are covered so protection from sun and rain.

Thank you.

We had a balcony on Deck 10 and loved it, but I spoke to some people who had the sheltered balconies and always booked these for the protection they gave and for the value and the location being accessible to everything.  Depending on the itinerary it might not be important, but on a trans Atlantic I understand it is. This is the same information that NSWP has given too.

Edited by resordanis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, resordanis said:

We had a balcony on Deck 10 and loved it, but I spoke to some people who had the sheltered balconies and always booked these for the protection they gave and for the value and the location being accessible to everything.  Depending on the itinerary it might not be important, but on a trans Atlantic I understand it is. This is the same information that NSWP has given too.

Yes I was just thinking protection trans Atlantic would be important. Did you have a normal balcony?

Where did you cruise on QM2?

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

QM2 Balconies - Perusing balconies on offer, only sheltered balconies and obstructed balconies are available on the current Australian cruise.  Could anyone who has cruised on QM2 comment on its balconies.  The sheltered balconies looked to me like ocean view with a window cut in the wall?  Is this a correct assumption?  Can you see the water from a chair on obstructed view balconies?  

We had a sheltered balcony, it was a bit like a well with a large hole cut into it, not much more obstruction than a normal balcony that has metal under the rail not glass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

We had a sheltered balcony, it was a bit like a well with a large hole cut into it, not much more obstruction than a normal balcony that has metal under the rail not glass.

Thanks.  The mental picture made me smile!

38 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I was just thinking protection trans Atlantic would be important. Did you have a normal balcony?

We were on QM2, Sydney to HK. Loads of Rain and loads of sun, so the 'sheltered balcony' was good.

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That would have been an enjoyable cruise.  You've certainly done some cruising!

Yes, lucky I retired early @ 55 and we did loads of travel and spent loads of money. On reflection perhaps a little too much money. No more big trips for me now. No value at all being a solo traveller, money wise and comfort wise, my opinion anyway.  I just paid $300 a day to be on Coral Princess, hard to justify spending that much money on myself.

Too old, too broke, lol.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We cruised Asia. Hong Kong to Singapore via Vietnam and Cambodia. We were extremely happy with our stateroom and a normal balcony with glass, but in saying that depending on where you were cruising (on a voyage) a sheltered balcony might be the preferred option.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We too had a sheltered balcony, it was great for keeping out the weather but when seated or lounging, you cannot see out. I would have preferred a glass panel to watch for wildlife.

An enclosed balcony would have been way too hot for Asia, but perfect for other areas and certainly for keeping out the weather. We didn’t see much wildlife, but just sitting there was very nice.