Live from…. Queen Victoria, Cunard Vs Celebrity, Grills Vs the Retreat

groryjm

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from groryjm! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

groryjm was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I have, on occasion, documented my cruise adventures on these boards but have decided not to this time as others have already started a “Live from…. ” on the Cunard boards. I do however intend to recount my experiences as our first time onboard a Cunard ship and our first time in Queens’s grill but from the stand point of a regular Celebrity cruiser.

My Gastrognome and I cruise on Celebrity two or three times a year and have done so for a number of years, usually in upper suites. This is a bucket list cruise for me and as Celebrity doesn’t yet sail as far north in the Fjords as Tromso we choose Cunard. It is also to celebrate my 60th so we have ”pushed the boat out” and booked a Q2 which equates, I believe, to an RS.

As the cruise is on a Cunard ship the Queen Victoria I won’t post it here but on the Cunard boards. So here is a link for those Celebrity cruisers who may find a comparison of interest

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, groryjm said:

I have, on occasion, documented my cruise adventures on these boards but have decided not to this time as others have already started a “Live from…. ” on the Cunard boards. I do however intend to recount my experiences as our first time onboard a Cunard ship and our first time in Queens’s grill but from the stand point of a regular Celebrity cruiser.

My Gastrognome and I cruise on Celebrity two or three times a year and have done so for a number of years, usually in upper suites. This is a bucket list cruise for me and as Celebrity doesn’t yet sail as far north in the Fjords as Tromso we choose Cunard. It is also to celebrate my 60th so we have ”pushed the boat out” and booked a Q2 which equates, I believe, to an RS.

As the cruise is on a Cunard ship the Queen Victoria I won’t post it here but on the Cunard boards. So here is a link for those Celebrity cruisers who may find a comparison of interest

Happy cruising and birthday! Your ears must have been burning. I was thinking your next adventure must be due about now whilst I was sipping my Naked and Famous the other night. Slainte 🥂

30 minutes ago, Redking said:

Happy cruising and birthday! Your ears must have been burning. I was thinking your next adventure must be due about now whilst I was sipping my Naked and Famous the other night. Slainte 🥂

Hi @Redking, one of the downsides of taking two weeks out to go on a cruise is that the open bottles of vermouths and fortified wines won't last too long even in the fridge. So I endeavour to empty all the bottles before a trip. Hard work I know.

Tonights tipple helped me finish off the Punt E Mess and a grape fruit from the citrus bowl. Similar to your Naked and Famous but ups the mistiqe a little . A Smoke and Mirrors....

Screenshot_20221010-205418.thumb.png.56ad4bc5af3a3c2fbbd4d3e550af619c.png

Edited by groryjm
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Looking forward to your comparison.  May try QG for a crossing one day.

Happy Cruiser, I remember you were from Cape Coral because my Grandparents used to live there. Happy to see you posting and you are doing well after the hurricane. I was thinking of you. 🙂

23 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Looking forward to your comparison.  May try QG for a crossing one day.

@Happy Cruiser 6143 our aim is to get across to States in 4 

years or so to try a self planned world cruise on various lines. Our main problem is that my Gastrognome can't fly more than about four hours without problems. So our plan is to TA with cunard and mix it up with  various lines aiming to get back via suez. 

This is stage one in testing water for that trip 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, groryjm said:

@Happy Cruiser 6143 our aim is to get across to States in 4 

years or so to try a self planned world cruise on various lines. Our main problem is that my Gastrognome can't fly more than about four hours without problems. So our plan is to TA with cunard and mix it up with  various lines aiming to get back via suez. 

This is stage one in testing water for that trip 

That's a review I'm looking forward to reading. I think many of us are over long haul flying for a plethora of reasons. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Happy Cruiser, I remember you were from Cape Coral because my Grandparents used to live there. Happy to see you posting and you are doing well after the hurricane. I was thinking of you. 🙂

Thanks for the concern.  Just got internet back yesterday afternoon.  Power the day before.  No inside damage but lots of outside damage.  I'm looking forward to being pampered on my cruise this weekend if I can just get the damned Bermuda covid test and my plane actually goes!

Looking forward to you cruise and comparison.   I understand there is quite a difference in things like dress code and enforcement of it.  Will be interesting to hear about the food, service and not even going to ask about drinks as you may be doing seminars for the staff.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 10:10 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Looking forward to you cruise and comparison.   I understand there is quite a difference in things like dress code and enforcement of it.  Will be interesting to hear about the food, service and not even going to ask about drinks as you may be doing seminars for the staff.

Hi @Jim_Iain  I'm sorry not to have been posting here but my full Live from .... thread is on the Cunard boards. 

I have started the concluding comparison from post #161 . it may take me a day or so to finish but I hope you find it useful 

Edited by groryjm