On Board Account

Epinz300

Interestingly, I don't see an option in the app or website to do this.  I know with some other lines, you can buy "cruise cash" with a credit card or gift cards.  I think you might be able to buy OBC, but I think you have to call to do so?

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Just call and order OBC with the gift card prior to the cruise.

I think the gift certificates can only be used to pay for a cruise, not for OBC (I seem to recall a thread about that here a few years ago, not sure if it's changed).

I think there was a thread about this a couple weeks ago. It would probably be best to call, but sometimes that depends who you get on the other end of the line. This is what the RCI website says about gift certificates:

"Cruise Gift Certificates make the perfect gift.
Certificates are easy to buy and redeem. They can be emailed or mailed directly to friends and family. Use them towards the purchase of a cruise or for onboard credit toward the spa, gift shop, bar, specialty restaurants and more."

You have a purchase and redeem link. The redeem link asks if it for Cruise Fare or Onboard Credit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

"Cruise Gift Certificates make the perfect gift.
Certificates are easy to buy and redeem. They can be emailed or mailed directly to friends and family. Use them towards the purchase of a cruise or for onboard credit toward the spa, gift shop, bar, specialty restaurants and more."

You have a purchase and redeem link. The redeem link asks if it for Cruise Fare or Onboard Credit.

Also says in red capital letters  - important - if using as onboard credit, the gift card must be redeemed 10 business days prior to the sail date.  Or for use toward cruise payment - to be redeemed at least 14 days before.

Good to know, because we are also thinking of purchasing gift cards.  With the exchange rate so volatile we would rather know what we've spent in advance than being surprised when we see our cc bills after the cruise.  

1 hour ago, KeroTravel said:

Also says in red capital letters  - important - if using as onboard credit, the gift card must be redeemed 10 business days prior to the sail date.  Or for use toward cruise payment - to be redeemed at least 14 days before.

Good to know, because we are also thinking of purchasing gift cards.  With the exchange rate so volatile we would rather know what we've spent in advance than being surprised when we see our cc bills after the cruise.  

Much easier to call Royal Gifts (800-722-5443) and buy OBC.  No games to play redeeming GCs and the OBC is refundable if not all used.

• Like 2