questions about cabin classes

mhoffrob

We are considering changing from a South America / Panama Canal cruise we have booked on Holland America to one offered by Oceania.  Our main goal is to visit Machu Picchu, and for a few reasons Oceania might work better for us.

I see that there is a $600-700 difference between the cheapest available Veranda and a Concierge Veranda - I'm attracted to the Veranda for the spa access, which raises a this question:  Can you access the thermal therapy pool if you are in a regular veranda? is there a cost per day or for the whole cruise?

thanks!
Mary

You can get  a day pass  for a fee  

But it is just the hot tub & loungers there  Riviera has the larger T pool

If port intensive I would get  a B cabin & try for  a pass on a sea day

On embarkation day  go tour the spa deck  out & see if worth the $

There are 2 hot tubs on the pool deck  free to all

JMO

• Like 1

If you enjoy DIY, I recommend staying in the town at the base of Machu Picchu (Aguas Calientes) for at least 2 nights (depends on how much exploring you want to do). That way you avoid the "day crowds" who fly up for the day from Lima. The mornings are very peaceful. You'll also want 1-3 days to acclimate to high altitude before doing anything too energetic; going to Cusco and surrounding areas first is good since you can take leisurely walks. Enjoy researching!

• Like 1

Have you been to Machu Picchu via Oceania?  I'm confused by the "embark" time of 1pm on 3/19 and a "depart" time of 6pm on 3/20.  Is it okay for us to get to the ship on 3/20?  Have a call in to an Oceania rep but awaiting confirmation .   . .

We have a tour in our sights that includes an overnight in Atuas Calientes, which seems like such a good option for the reasons you mentioned.  BUt we don't have a ton of time since the cruise itself is 17-18 days . . . my husband and I both still work, and neigher of us have taken a 3 week vacation EVER.  

They do an overnight so that people who have been on the ship and are continuing on the next segment have an opportunity to go to Machu Picchu (or other time-consuming shorex). You would normally check-in on the 19th. You will want to contact Oceania (which you're doing) if you want to check in on the 20th...not sure what they'll say since part of the check in process involves local port authorities (not O employees).

We still had time restrictions when we went (more flexible now)...stayed in Aguas Calientes one night and wished for more. Actually we wished we had hiked the Inca Trail but there's always something fun and interesting that you "discover" once there, so no regrets! Enjoy what you have time fore...MP is worth the trip, even if just for one day. I need a vacation from vacationing after traveling for 3 weeks, so I don't see us ever doing the ATW or other lengthy vacays but who knows 😉

Our understanding is that when including MP, you do not want to just “run up the hill”, you need to allow for the change in altitude and your body to acclimate. It is too special and not to be rushed through. Never done a three week vacation, GO FOR IT and really enjoy your trip with several additional days. Call it OJT and practicing for retirement.  We did an ATW segment for 35 days and finished it off with a week in Maui to “rest up”. 
ENJOY YOURSELVES, work will still be there when you return whether it is 14, 16, 20 days away.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

In my experience, one can use the otherwise restricted thermal spa area if one has a procedure at the spa.  Nevermind that a mani/pedi on board is probably at least $25 more than at home, it does allow you to use the restricted area anytime that day.   

12 minutes ago, WFHFLOYD said:

In my experience, one can use the otherwise restricted thermal spa area if one has a procedure at the spa.  Nevermind that a mani/pedi on board is probably at least $25 more than at home, it does allow you to use the restricted area anytime that day.   

Unless things have changed  it was for 1hr  pre or post treatment

But not sure they monitor you or not

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

The therapy pool for concierge and up isn’t a great thing.  It is at the bow. Often it is windy.  Also, no bar service there. If I use that pool, it’s use and leave.  Not worth paying extra. Use the hot tubs midship.  They are free.

I believe you meant to say in the aft of the ship outside the spa......we have found it very relaxing and quiet but as you say, there is no bar service.

1 hour ago, basor said:

I believe you meant to say in the aft of the ship outside the spa......we have found it very relaxing and quiet but as you say, there is no bar service.

AFT ??

The spa deck is in the bow (pointy end)  🙂