Northern Lights in Alaska

exlandlubber

Hello everyone!  We are considering a September 2024 cruise from Vancouver to Seward (or vice-versa) in the hopes of seeing the Northern Lights, either from the ship or on an excursion.  Has anyone ever had this experience? I’ve read that the weather can be very wet in Sept. which would certainly impact visibility.  Any observations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

If you travel in late September and have clear skies you will have quite the show. The Explorer has a Vancouver to Tokyo sailing during this time frame that sails through the Alaskan archipelago. We will be on that sailing in 2024. 

It is luck of the draw to see the Northern lights.  Besides the natural weather, you also need the cooperation of Space  weather.  By space weather, you need a Geomagnetic storm cause by the sun.

At this time in the solar cycle, they MAY occur once per month and only last a few days.

8 hours ago, mdunne48 said:

However in late September, around the equinox, you have a better chance of solar flare activity due to the strong geomagnetic  attraction that occurs during the equinox periods.

Hope your arm is healing…from your Greenland and fog neighbors.

Thank you all for your contributions.  One of the best parts of sailing on the Explorer is that regardless of the weather, we have a wonderful ship for a cruise.

One more question if I may: we have the option of sailing Vancouver to Seward on 9/3 or in reverse on 9/11, which of course would end on the 18th.  Any pros/cons to one direction or the other? Also, the hotel that’s used for the pre-cruise in Vancouver is the Fairmont which is great. Any idea as to what’s used in Seward? That might be a factor in determining our direction if everything else is equal.

As always, thank you so much for your very helpful comments!

On 10/14/2022 at 8:45 PM, rcandkc said:

Hope your arm is healing…from your Greenland and fog neighbors.

RC, the arm is getting better and stronger. Not quite to 100% yet but getting closer every day. Thanks for caring.

• Like 1

When I started thinking about a cruise to Alaska I was still working and on a business trip with people from other sites.  On person I had just met was talking about his Alaskan cruise very favorably.  One thing he said that stuck with me was to start in Alaska and sail down because the neatest scenery would then be in the first days of the cruise when you are fresh and ready to see everything. You will be less likely to get excited about scenery during the last couple of days.

A couple years later I got the chance to follow his advice and that worked wonders.  We stayed at the Hilton in Anchorage which is nice and instead of a bus to Seward we took a train which was just great.  The scenery to Seward is wonderful and we had commentary given about the areas we were passing by.

One picture opportunity I missed was at a lake in Anchorage with the entire shoreline filled with airplanes on pontoons and their shed for tools etc.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 4:46 AM, exlandlubber said:

Thank you all for your contributions.  One of the best parts of sailing on the Explorer is that regardless of the weather, we have a wonderful ship for a cruise.

One more question if I may: we have the option of sailing Vancouver to Seward on 9/3 or in reverse on 9/11, which of course would end on the 18th.  Any pros/cons to one direction or the other? Also, the hotel that’s used for the pre-cruise in Vancouver is the Fairmont which is great. Any idea as to what’s used in Seward? That might be a factor in determining our direction if everything else is equal.

As always, thank you so much for your very helpful comments!

Vancouver hotel on cruise in August this year:  2 nights at the Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver, Deluxe Harbour room, B&B Basis