Silhouette Isolation

speedwell

When we were on the Summit last month and I tested positive, we were told the then-new policy was that covid-positive passengers were allowed to stay in their cabin, but if they had a travel companion who was negative (as happened in our case), the companion was offered another cabin if there was one available (unless or until they tested positive).

We spoke with 2 other people on our trip who reported that the "extra" cabin was either an interior or ocean-view, but they did not specify exact location. I would also note that by the time I tested positive halfway through out cruise, we were told there were no more extra cabins available for my husband,  even if he had wanted to move cabins.

Also, if the travel companion chooses to remain in the original cabin, then they are required to quarantine for the full 5 days, the same as the person who tested positive, even if they never test positive (as happened in our case).

As @jwlane said, it is my understanding that this is the current policy throughout the Celebrity fleet, but perhaps someone with actual experience aboard the Silhouette will be able to confirm. 

8 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Also, if the travel companion chooses to remain in the original cabin, then they are required to quarantine for the full 5 days, the same as the person who tested positive, even if they never test positive (as happened in our case).

My wife tested positive on a recent (Oct 3) Summit sailing, and when I said we would stay in our existing suite, they said I could continue to go outside the room… throughout the ship… as long as I wore a mask.  (I had tested negative at this point.)  They said that change in policy was only a few days old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

My wife tested positive on a recent (Oct 3) Summit sailing, and when I said we would stay in our existing suite, they said I could continue to go outside the room… throughout the ship… as long as I wore a mask.  (I had tested negative at this point.)  They said that change in policy was only a few days old.

This is interesting (to say the least). My biggest dread about our upcoming 10-day on Silhouette (Nov 7) is either one of us testing positive -- if/when/for whatever reason we might actually get tested after boarding.

Just returned from Eclipse's transpacific 19day Hawaii to Sydney.

I caught COVID, and then my husband 2 days later. When I was diagnosed he was asked if he wanted to move to another cabin, so he could still move around the ship, but declined as we shared alot of personal items like our laptop, and other things.

Lucky, as he tested positive 2 days later so would have been contagious at the time he'd been able to mix with others anyway.

Unfortunately, we both went the full distance of 10 days being positive, and despite still being positive on the 10th day, they automatically allowed us to leave the cabin(masked was the only requirement).

We decided to remain there as we did not want to inflict the virus on other pax who may have been immune compromised, so in fact remained in our cabin for a total of 12 days.

Only saving grace was that we had the largest balcony on the bump so plenty of room to veg out.  

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:50 PM, colliercruiser said:

Wow, that is surprising. I can't help wondering how any crew member out and around the ship would know whether someone should be wearing a mask because their spouse was quarantined with Covid.

3 hours ago, lara h said:

Just returned from Eclipse's transpacific 19day Hawaii to Sydney.

I caught COVID, and then my husband 2 days later. When I was diagnosed he was asked if he wanted to move to another cabin, so he could still move around the ship, but declined as we shared alot of personal items like our laptop, and other things.

Lucky, as he tested positive 2 days later so would have been contagious at the time he'd been able to mix with others anyway.

Unfortunately, we both went the full distance of 10 days being positive, and despite still being positive on the 10th day, they automatically allowed us to leave the cabin(masked was the only requirement).

We decided to remain there as we did not want to inflict the virus on other pax who may have been immune compromised, so in fact remained in our cabin for a total of 12 days.

Only saving grace was that we had the largest balcony on the bump so plenty of room to veg out.  

My husband had already decided to stay in the cabin with me because our 25th anniversary (which was the reason for the cruise) fell during my quarantine.

Much to our pleasant surprise, he never did develop any symptoms and continues to test negative as recently as last week. I tested positive for almost exactly 2 weeks, then negative, then tested positive again a week later. I had gone to the doctor due to a lingering cough and chest congestion and they tested me. They said it isn't uncommon to test positive again later, which is one reason I will be getting a "Certificate of Recovery" from my doc before our next cruise, just in case, as they will be testing us at the pier. 

And finally, may I say I thank and applaud you for considering other passengers on your cruise. I have been dismayed to hear and read how many passengers don't think it's their "responsibility" to take others into consideration.  

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

On 10/21/2022 at 11:01 AM, jwlane said:

Most reports from the last few months reflect passengers are remaining in their original cabins.

This is true based on our Silhouette experience in early September. We only noticed this after the folks in the room next to us started accumulating multiple room-service trays each day outside their door.

In the evening of Day 10 of our cruise, the captain announced that the ship had surpassed a certain positive-case threshold (I don't remember; perhaps 3%?) and recommended that passengers start wearing masks when in elevators, public areas, on excursions, etc. This prompted us to start wearing masks again but also to ask about the quarantine process.

cjr