Upgrade Now or Wait to Bid?

OnePsychLynne

For a British Isles Cruise in August of next year,  I currently have a balcony stateroom (BA) and really wanted a mini suite when I initially booked (don't ask me why I didn't just book it then, because I don't have a good excuse).

When we first booked, it was on the Emerald Princess and we chose our room. For whatever reason, Princess changed it to the Regal Princess and now we have a guarantee cabin (BA), still to be assigned. When I looked at mini suites (category MA), I found that I could upgrade now for $600 total (Club Class was not an option when I did a mock booking).

If I understand the bidding correctly, I would have to wait until we were 85 days from sailing. My only concern is that a mini suite won't be available to upgrade to, otherwise I wouldn't worry about waiting.

Assuming you wanted to upgrade to a mini suite, would you do it now or wait until you could bid on an upgrade? 

Edited by OnePsychLynne
Correcting grammatical errors

I would do it now also. $300 pp for a British Isles cruise isn't too bad IMO.

Maybe when you rebook - there maybe new incentives ($100 Excursion credit that may offset some of the cost).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

If you don't have a good excuse for not booking it then, don't leave it to chance, just book it if that's the cabin you really want. It will avoid all the stress of the bidding process and you can just sit back, relax and look forward to your cruise already knowing you have the cabin you want.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 3

Yes, you have the freedom to do whatever you decide.

Nothing is locked in at this point. You have reason to feel like you should stay with a Guarantee.

I would def. book with the Mini, and look for mid-ship Minis that have the larger extended balcony, but not the higher decks which would be up there right under the SeaWalk.

It might not help, but if you do get a Mini you like, You might want to make sure that it is specially marked NO Upgrade.  Unless you have a mid-ship MA...  Since this is the highest mini category. With the new bidding system, chances of being moved into a higher suite are very low.  

I would not wait to bid, as the upgrade price you see now seems good.

And, there are mini suites in bad locations, which you could be assigned if you were to bid and get the upgrade at Final Payment or later.

• Like 1