Mariner Reception

jhsocal

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

I live in Vancouver, we have robots delivering food to the tables at our local dim sum restaurant since last year.

We are talking hal here.  They’ve been “working on” getting Mariners discounts for pre bookings for years and years.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  If they rely on wifi it will never happen.  I can imagine land use is easier then sea use.  Are any of the other cruise lines using them?

On our last B2B cruise on Eurodam, we received both the Mariner's cocktail coupons and the invite to the reception each cruise (4 star). Never used the coupons and the drinks at the reception were watered down. Not much to write home about, nor get upset over missing IMHO.

One doesn't (or shouldn't) cruise HAL for the perks; they've never been anything special. I cruise for the destinations and the stellar crew and the service they provide.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

We are talking hal here.  They’ve been “working on” getting Mariners discounts for pre bookings for years and years.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  If they rely on wifi it will never happen.  I can imagine land use is easier then sea use.  Are any of the other cruise lines using them?

You do not need wifi to run a robot  ,but you do need a computer program  .  The technology in robotics is expanding very rapidly  now  . Industry gas been finding out even here in the USA that there are more job openings than people willing to fill them  . Thus ,even more important the use of robots & they don't take  breaks or get sick  .As I said in a earlier post  it is now only a short time before we all see more robots doing   manual tasks  that once were done by humans ,sign of the times 

36 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

You do not need wifi to run a robot  ,but you do need a computer program  .  The technology in robotics is expanding very rapidly  now  . Industry gas been finding out even here in the USA that there are more job openings than people willing to fill them  . Thus ,even more important the use of robots & they don't take  breaks or get sick  .As I said in a earlier post  it is now only a short time before we all see more robots doing   manual tasks  that once were done by humans ,sign of the times 

Maybe on land.  Are any f the cruise lines using them?  Hal will at least 10 years behind that.

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe on land.  Are any f the cruise lines using them?  Hal will at least 10 years behind that.

I believe a few cruise lines (RCI and Carnival quickly come to mind) have been experimenting with Robotic Bar Tenders.  While this is still in the novelty stage, we imagine this might become more common in the future.  I would assume as Artificial Intelligence (AI) becomes more common and sophisticated we will see a lot more robotics on ships.  Our local supermarket uses a robot, that constantly roams the store, to spot spills or objects on the floor and alert staff.   On ships we can imagine something similar as well as having robots doing vacuuming of the public areas and floor cleaning.  I cannot help but wonder how long it will be until we see robot waiters and wine stewards in the MDR :).

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I cannot help but wonder how long it will be until we see robot waiters and wine stewards in the MDR :).

I hope that never happens.  But, regarding the wine stewards, the machines maybe could be programmed with more knowledge about wines than some of the wine stewards on some of the cruise lines possess.  

• Haha 1